Hotel Valley Ho
Hyatt Place Scottsdale/Old Town(Scottsdale)(Great Value!)
US$99
  • Restaurant
US$159
Hyatt.com
  • Pool
The McCormick Scottsdale(Scottsdale)(Great Value!)
US$96
US$84
The Scott Resort & Spa(Scottsdale)(Great Value!)
US$169
US$90
Agoda.com
US$239
US$112
US$102
EmbassySuites.com
  • Breakfast included
The Scottsdale Resort at McCormick Ranch(Scottsdale)(Great Value!)
US$123
US$107
US$197
1,806 results
All reviewsmid centurycafe zuzumad menretro feelcabana roomtower roomold town scottsdalecool retropool sceneart galleriespool partyfree trolleypool viewgirls weekendmain poolbusiness meetingpool staff
Reviewed 8 May 2012

When driving by the hotel for the first time, I saw the orange lights and room doors in outside corridors, and expected the worse. I was happily wrong! Once you turn into the hotel, you see that it is very new and clean, although it has a retro feel. From the valet and bell-boys to the front desk, the staff is very friendly and welcoming. Check-in was a breeze. I found my room - which was quite large and overlooked the pool. There were a separate shower and tub which were great. The toiletries were great as well (I brought my own and only used them once during my 2 week stay to switch things up!). I love the hand soap - a little ball, which smells fabulous! The beds were comfy and temperature control in the room was great.
The gym was nice with floor to ceiling windows/glass doors overlooking the pool. Plenty of cardio and weight machines in addtion to a studio with bosu balls and other equipment.
Had dinner outside at Zuzu once - delicious (get the grilled cheese)!
In addition to the great amenities, the location is what really sets Hotel Valley Ho apart - it is right on the edge of Old Town. We walked to dinner every night. It couldn't be me convenient to drive to work in the morning (on the border of Tempe/Pheonix) and then walk to dinner after dropping off the car at the hotel. In regards to parking, the hotel has valet (for a fee) or you can park yourself in a lot behind the hotel (but I don't believe it is "protected") - we didn't have a problem.

Room Tip: Section 4 is nice - they overlook the pool. Section 5 is a bit more of a walk and the view is of a parking lot - there also isn't an elevator the 2nd floor (but the bell-boys are more than capable of carrying everything up!).
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Kristin_Heggli, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2012

I'm glad you like the 1950s style of the hotel; it originally opened in 1956 and was recently fully restored. I also love the smell of the Red Flower amenities! Thank you for your review. Please come and see us again soon!

Reviewed 6 May 2012

The Hotel Valley Ho is somewhat of a rarity for Scottsdale - it's an older property that's reinvented itself by embracing its history, rather than trying to erase it. The hotel itself has been around for a long time (by Phoenix/Scottsdale standards), and they've done a great job of updating it without taking away from the vintage architecture and design. This is NOT a chain hotel and that's part of what's great about it.

We booked a suite in the Tower on the 6th floor, and was it ever fantastic. With a full kitchen and living room, floor-to-ceiling sliding glass doors that opened to a patio that ran the entire length of the suite and overlooked the pool, a HUGE bathroom with a rainfall shower head and a very comfortable bed, there really isn't much more you can ask for. The overall design of the suite had me dreaming of urban city living, and the attention to detail in that room was commendable - they even have books, (current) magazines and board games, if you're so inclined. It was an anniversary for us, and when I mentioned that during the booking process, I discovered they'd taken note: there were chocolate-dipped strawberries, a big basket of chips and salsa and a bucket of adult beverages waiting for us in the room, along with a nice note. That's good service right there!

HVH is on the edge of Old Town Scottsdale, so it's easy to walk to all the food and nightlife you could want, but we've found that the food and drinks right at the hotel are excellent. Cafe ZuZu has one of the best chefs in the city and the food proves it. We had mostly appetizers, but wow... it was not your typical "bar food" at ALL. The drinks are awesome - a "good morning" Bloody Mary at the ZuZu/lobby bar is nothing short of amazing. They've got a good selection of wine and beer along with the more traditional drinks you'd expect, and although I didn't try one, their speciality cocktails looked pretty interesting. The prices aren't outrageous, either, especially for a hotel.

We went to the pool early on Saturday morning, since the HVH pool is somewhat known for it's party atmosphere. We've already passed through that phase, so we opted to enjoy the pool during its more serene time of day (although if you stick around, the people-watching can be pretty epic in scope). The pool area itself is relatively small compared to other hotels, but they set up the lounge chairs in a configuration that doesn't make it feel as though you're sitting on top of the person next to you. They DO monitor guests at the pool - meaning, if you're not a guest or with a guest, you're not getting in - and they don't mess around when it comes to hogging lounge chairs. If you claim a space, put your stuff down and then leave for longer than 30 minutes, the staff will remove and store your things so someone else can take advantage of the space. The cabanas are comfortable, and actually not very expensive; they're a pretty popular option for a group. I think there's a DJ at the on Saturdays, but we weren't there long enough to find out for sure. They do start serving food and drinks at the pool at 10 in the morning, and there's a pool-side bar.

We really enjoy going to HVH, even when we're not staying there - they've absolutely nailed early '60s retro without being cheesy, the service is great, the entire place is clean, the staff is friendly and the crowd is usually pretty fun without being uncomfortably Jersey-Shore-like. While we did see a few families with small children staying there, I personally don't think it's much of a kid place, although the size of the suites could be appealing for families. If you're looking for a place to stay that's close to Old Town Scottsdale and Phoenix proper, want something that's got some personality and isn't your standard chain hotel, and appreciate great atmosphere, food and drinks, try the Hotel Valley Ho.

2  Thank Jessica T
Kristin_Heggli, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2012

Thank you for your review! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay in one of our Tower Suites. The pool is limited to hotel guests only on Saturdays, when we do have a DJ from 1:30-5:30 (April through September). We also feature a live band on Fridays from 3:30-6:30. We hope to see you again soon! Try happy hour at ZuZu (4:00-7:00 Monday through Friday) - some of our specialty cocktails are just $3 (along with $3 beer and wine and $5 appetizers).

Reviewed 3 May 2012

While I anticipated a lovely artsy deco hotel in Scottsdale turned out to be very disappointing. Orange and turquoise room with a long 20 foot formica bar and brown industrial carpet. The room faced a large pool that had a 1950's Route 66 look to it. Lots of college kids sitting around it drinking (drunk) partying until midnight. This hotel was very retro, a step back in time that I don't care to repeat. Uncomfortable, expensive, rude hipster staff. I prefer a hotel with some comfort and sophistication, the Valley Ho looks and feels like an Interstate hotel from the cold-war era. One plus, the coffee at the "bar" in the a.m. was kinda tasty.,

Room Tip: Look for a better hotel with better amenities.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Carole S
Kristin_Heggli, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2012

I am sorry that the hotel was not what you are expecting. The hotel was built in 1956 and fully renovated in 2005 to that mid-century style, so you will see a 1950s look throughout the property rather than art deco (primarily 1920s-1930s). The rooms and public areas are designed with bright colors of the period. We do have live music at our pool on the weekends in the summer (concluding at 6:30 Fridays and 5:30 Saturdays), which makes it a bit more lively. It does quiet down on weekdays and weekends in the non-summer months. Our staff responds to all complaints regarding excessive noise. The furnishings are continually updated to ensure comfort and quality. Our staff really care about our guests and I’m sorry you felt the service was lacking. Thank you for your comments.

Reviewed 1 May 2012

I rarely bother to write reviews, but I was pretty impressed by Valley Ho. If you accept this for what it is, which is an affordable, party-oriented place that revels in its 60s throwback vibe, you will be truly impressed.

Location is pretty good. We were there in early April and the weather was perfect, so we were able to walk to old town Scottsdale. Might be a different story in summer heat. The rooms were not flawless like at the Ritz, but they're spacious, comfortable, imaginatively decorated, and well-equipped. I thought the bathrooms, in particular, were quite nice. Loved the deep soaking tub and separate shower.

The pool scene is party-oriented and loud, so you have to be prepared for that. If that's what you're looking for, you'll truly appreciate that they have great drink specials and affordable food. Most hotels nickel and dime guests on poolside service, and I was blown away that they chose to offer things like $12 Corona buckets. Usually, it's $12 per Corona.

The main downside is that the pool gets VERY crowded on the weekend, and they treat it like a nightclub, with bouncers, velvet rope, guest list, etc. And, if you buy a drink in the pool area and take it back with you to your room, they will not let you bring it back into the pool area again. I appreciate that they're trying to keep things under control and limit access to hotel guests, but the staff was rude and the setup was inefficient. I was really pissed that I had to wait even 2 minutes in line to get into the pool. I'd also like to see a self-park option--valet gets pricey.

That annoyance aside, I was impressed by the combination of nice rooms, lively atmosphere, and affordable services, all for only $129/night. Very well done.

Room Tip: There are wings located away from the pool, which I am sure are much quieter on the weekends. Our room faced the pool, and had I wanted to take a nap on Saturday afternoon, it would have been impossible.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Kristin_Heggli, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2012

Thank you for your comments. We do have live music at our pool on the weekends, making the hotel more lively. You will find it to be more quiet on weekdays and in the non-summer months. April is definitely a great time to walk around Old Town and I’m glad you were able to do that! Thank you for the comments about our food and beverage offerings at the pool; we strive to offer very reasonable prices along with varying specials every day. We have to have security at the pool on Saturdays to ensure that only registered hotel guests are being admitted; we do this to minimize overcrowding. I’m sorry that you found our staff to be rude; our security team works to be efficient yet friendly and we will work to ensure the best guest service. Please note that we do have two complimentary parking lots, aside from street parking; valet is not the only option. I’m glad you enjoyed your stay overall, and we hope to welcome you back again!

Reviewed 30 April 2012

It's hard to know what to add to the list of great reviews here, as most of the obvious stuff has been said already. I loved the quirky 1950's style of the entire hotel and it was nice to see it continued in the rooms, every inch of which had clearly been carefully designed. I had a Tower King, on the 6th floor, with a great view over the pool, and it was light, airy and had a very spacious feel. The bathroom was particularly deluxe, with a huge soaking tub, and lovely soap which perfumed the room. If you like modern design, I think these rooms are some of the best in Scottsdale. I only have two tiny issues - to switch off the bedside reading lights, you need to get out of bed, which is annoying. And I could have done with a make-up mirror in the bathroom - the countertop made it hard to get close enough to the mirror to apply make up properly. Apart from these 2 minor issues, everything about my stay was perfect and I'd definitely return. Just take care if you're planning a weekend stay and want to relax by the pool - the Ho attracts a young, hip crowd, so the atmosphere is definitely pool party rather than relaxing family break.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

I'm glad you liked the style of the hotel! I also love the view from the Tower rooms. The hotel is lively in the summertime with live music at the pool, but is quieter on weekdays. You can see our full schedule at ohpool.com, so check there if you plan a return visit! Thank you for your comments.