“Awesome!!!..this has to be where the rock stars stay”
Review of Hotel Valley Ho

Hotel Valley Ho
Ranked #6 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
Chicago, Illinois
“Awesome!!!..this has to be where the rock stars stay”
Reviewed 9 May 2012 via mobile

Very groovy and fun.. Great pool great location. Very friendly staff awesome breakfast, great location Go for the tower rooms! Great views of camelback mtn. Overnight parking can be pricey

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank m0vershaker
Kristin_Heggli, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this review, 11 May 2012
Thank you for your review! I also love the breakfast at ZuZu...especially the Strawberry Waffle. Our overnight valet parking ($14) is in a secured, underground lot. However, please keep in mind that we do have two complimentary parking lots and there is street parking as well. We hope to see you again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (445)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 8 May 2012

Very disappointed with the service we received upon arrival to you hotel. I specifically spoke to a very nice lady and specified that I wanted to reserve a cabana room for my husband for our anniversary. She was very helpful in getting the best deal on the room. (Which I would advise you to make your reservation directly at the hotel because the deals were better)
We arrived and to our dismay, they decided to move us to the tower as an "upgrade" for our anniversary and were appauled that we were unappreciative for this upgrade when I specifically upgraded on my own to a cabana room for that purpose. The clerk actually said "most people appreciate an upgrade" which I found to be very out of line!!!
Now if they had upgraded us to one of the suites, maybe I could understand, but they actually tried to give us a regular tower room (which is slightly larger than a cabana room with a small balcony unfinished cement ceiling) and cost less per night than a cabana room. That was a downgrade, not an upgrade because they had really given our room away to someone who decided they wanted to stay an extra night!!!!! I have stayed in hotels in the past and was moved after the first night because someone else had reserved that specific room which should be the policy at all hotels. But instead of being honest and giving us a better room they tried to scam us and downgrade us for the same price!!!! After much arguing with Andy the manager, we agreed to stay only because he gave us half off the room for the first night and promised to move us the next morning to the room we had rented initially.
We did not use the pool during the day on Sat because they had a very loud Cinco de Mayo party going on which appeared to be private and wall to wall college kids (everyone had wristbands and they were checking names off the list). I wish we had known this in advance and we would have stayed an extra night at the Hyatt Gainey Ranch which was much quieter.
The valet guys and bellmen were excellent! Mike our bellman the first day tried to do what he could do to make sure our stay was a good one. You should have him as a manager as he DOES have the most excellent customer service!! Room service was good and food was great. A bit pricey, but no more than any other nice hotel and the server does tell you gratuity is already included which was nice! The bar was crazy overpriced! My friend bought my husband and I each a drink and it was $27?? We never looked cause we charged everything to the room. Once we were in the Cabana room, everything was perfect and the rest of the trip was fine until check out when I had to once again talk to manager Jeremy because Andy tried to only give half off of the original price I was paying for my upgraded room instead of what the actual price of the room. Jeremy was very apologetic for the inconvenience we experienced and corrected the problems. Although the monetary compensation was all Jeremy could do after the fact, I would have rather gotten what I had paid for and been a satisfied customer rather than lose a full day and evening in the cabana room. We did use the pool after 5PM on Sunday once the pool cleared out, and were the only ones in there. That was nice.
Would I stay here again? Not on a weekend, and only if there was a guarantee they would not downgrade me and allow someone to stay an extra day in the cabana room I reserved... All of the staff except the front desk staff upon arrival were great and very nice and helpful.

Room Tip: Recommend adults travel on a weeknight because pool area is over run by college kids and locals on w...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank LUVTOTRAVEL5505
Kristin_Heggli, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this review, 10 May 2012
I am very sorry to hear about the issues you had during your stay. I know our director of guest operations, Jeremy, spoke with you at length upon your departure. He took time to resolve your issues and was happy to hear your positive comments about the hotel. I will be happy to address your comments.

The Cabana Guest Room and Tower Signature Guest Room have varying prices; sometimes one is more expensive than the other, but the Cabana Guest Room is not always less. Unfortunately we were unable to offer a Cabana due to availability, and I do apologize for that. I’m glad you were able to enjoy part of your stay in our Cabana Guest Room with assistance from the front desk team. We do have a DJ at our pool on Saturdays April through September, so the pool is more lively during this time. The pool is limited to hotel guests only, so the people at the pool were staying here overnight. The full calendar of pool entertainment can be seen on our website. I definitely recommend visiting the pool on other days of the week (or earlier on Saturdays) if you like a quiet atmosphere. I’m glad you were able to at least visit the pool for some relaxation on Sunday afternoon. Our drink prices are comparable to other hotel bars, and you may want to stop by during happy hour ($5 appetizers and $3 beer, wine, and signature cocktails). We appreciate your comments as they give us an opportunity to review any service issues, and I hope that you will consider visiting the hotel again. The atmosphere is quite different on weekdays and also October through March. Thank you.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 8 May 2012

When driving by the hotel for the first time, I saw the orange lights and room doors in outside corridors, and expected the worse. I was happily wrong! Once you turn into the hotel, you see that it is very new and clean, although it has a retro feel. From the valet and bell-boys to the front desk, the staff is very friendly and welcoming. Check-in was a breeze. I found my room - which was quite large and overlooked the pool. There were a separate shower and tub which were great. The toiletries were great as well (I brought my own and only used them once during my 2 week stay to switch things up!). I love the hand soap - a little ball, which smells fabulous! The beds were comfy and temperature control in the room was great.
The gym was nice with floor to ceiling windows/glass doors overlooking the pool. Plenty of cardio and weight machines in addtion to a studio with bosu balls and other equipment.
Had dinner outside at Zuzu once - delicious (get the grilled cheese)!
In addition to the great amenities, the location is what really sets Hotel Valley Ho apart - it is right on the edge of Old Town. We walked to dinner every night. It couldn't be me convenient to drive to work in the morning (on the border of Tempe/Pheonix) and then walk to dinner after dropping off the car at the hotel. In regards to parking, the hotel has valet (for a fee) or you can park yourself in a lot behind the hotel (but I don't believe it is "protected") - we didn't have a problem.

Room Tip: Section 4 is nice - they overlook the pool. Section 5 is a bit more of a walk and the view is of a...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Kristin_Heggli, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this review, 14 May 2012
I'm glad you like the 1950s style of the hotel; it originally opened in 1956 and was recently fully restored. I also love the smell of the Red Flower amenities! Thank you for your review. Please come and see us again soon!
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 6 May 2012

The Hotel Valley Ho is somewhat of a rarity for Scottsdale - it's an older property that's reinvented itself by embracing its history, rather than trying to erase it. The hotel itself has been around for a long time (by Phoenix/Scottsdale standards), and they've done a great job of updating it without taking away from the vintage architecture and design. This is NOT a chain hotel and that's part of what's great about it.

We booked a suite in the Tower on the 6th floor, and was it ever fantastic. With a full kitchen and living room, floor-to-ceiling sliding glass doors that opened to a patio that ran the entire length of the suite and overlooked the pool, a HUGE bathroom with a rainfall shower head and a very comfortable bed, there really isn't much more you can ask for. The overall design of the suite had me dreaming of urban city living, and the attention to detail in that room was commendable - they even have books, (current) magazines and board games, if you're so inclined. It was an anniversary for us, and when I mentioned that during the booking process, I discovered they'd taken note: there were chocolate-dipped strawberries, a big basket of chips and salsa and a bucket of adult beverages waiting for us in the room, along with a nice note. That's good service right there!

HVH is on the edge of Old Town Scottsdale, so it's easy to walk to all the food and nightlife you could want, but we've found that the food and drinks right at the hotel are excellent. Cafe ZuZu has one of the best chefs in the city and the food proves it. We had mostly appetizers, but wow... it was not your typical "bar food" at ALL. The drinks are awesome - a "good morning" Bloody Mary at the ZuZu/lobby bar is nothing short of amazing. They've got a good selection of wine and beer along with the more traditional drinks you'd expect, and although I didn't try one, their speciality cocktails looked pretty interesting. The prices aren't outrageous, either, especially for a hotel.

We went to the pool early on Saturday morning, since the HVH pool is somewhat known for it's party atmosphere. We've already passed through that phase, so we opted to enjoy the pool during its more serene time of day (although if you stick around, the people-watching can be pretty epic in scope). The pool area itself is relatively small compared to other hotels, but they set up the lounge chairs in a configuration that doesn't make it feel as though you're sitting on top of the person next to you. They DO monitor guests at the pool - meaning, if you're not a guest or with a guest, you're not getting in - and they don't mess around when it comes to hogging lounge chairs. If you claim a space, put your stuff down and then leave for longer than 30 minutes, the staff will remove and store your things so someone else can take advantage of the space. The cabanas are comfortable, and actually not very expensive; they're a pretty popular option for a group. I think there's a DJ at the on Saturdays, but we weren't there long enough to find out for sure. They do start serving food and drinks at the pool at 10 in the morning, and there's a pool-side bar.

We really enjoy going to HVH, even when we're not staying there - they've absolutely nailed early '60s retro without being cheesy, the service is great, the entire place is clean, the staff is friendly and the crowd is usually pretty fun without being uncomfortably Jersey-Shore-like. While we did see a few families with small children staying there, I personally don't think it's much of a kid place, although the size of the suites could be appealing for families. If you're looking for a place to stay that's close to Old Town Scottsdale and Phoenix proper, want something that's got some personality and isn't your standard chain hotel, and appreciate great atmosphere, food and drinks, try the Hotel Valley Ho.

2 Thank Jessica T
Thank you for your review! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay in one of our Tower Suites. The pool is limited to hotel guests only on Saturdays, when we do have a DJ from 1:30-5:30 (April through September). We also feature a live band on Fridays from 3:30-6:30. We hope to see you again soon! Try happy hour at ZuZu (4:00-7:00 Monday through Friday) - some of our specialty cocktails are just $3 (along with $3 beer and wine and $5 appetizers).
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 3 May 2012

While I anticipated a lovely artsy deco hotel in Scottsdale turned out to be very disappointing. Orange and turquoise room with a long 20 foot formica bar and brown industrial carpet. The room faced a large pool that had a 1950's Route 66 look to it. Lots of college kids sitting around it drinking (drunk) partying until midnight. This hotel was very retro, a step back in time that I don't care to repeat. Uncomfortable, expensive, rude hipster staff. I prefer a hotel with some comfort and sophistication, the Valley Ho looks and feels like an Interstate hotel from the cold-war era. One plus, the coffee at the "bar" in the a.m. was kinda tasty.,

Room Tip: Look for a better hotel with better amenities.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Carole S
Kristin_Heggli, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this review, 8 May 2012
I am sorry that the hotel was not what you are expecting. The hotel was built in 1956 and fully renovated in 2005 to that mid-century style, so you will see a 1950s look throughout the property rather than art deco (primarily 1920s-1930s). The rooms and public areas are designed with bright colors of the period. We do have live music at our pool on the weekends in the summer (concluding at 6:30 Fridays and 5:30 Saturdays), which makes it a bit more lively. It does quiet down on weekdays and weekends in the non-summer months. Our staff responds to all complaints regarding excessive noise. The furnishings are continually updated to ensure comfort and quality. Our staff really care about our guests and I’m sorry you felt the service was lacking. Thank you for your comments.
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 1 May 2012

I rarely bother to write reviews, but I was pretty impressed by Valley Ho. If you accept this for what it is, which is an affordable, party-oriented place that revels in its 60s throwback vibe, you will be truly impressed.

Location is pretty good. We were there in early April and the weather was perfect, so we were able to walk to old town Scottsdale. Might be a different story in summer heat. The rooms were not flawless like at the Ritz, but they're spacious, comfortable, imaginatively decorated, and well-equipped. I thought the bathrooms, in particular, were quite nice. Loved the deep soaking tub and separate shower.

The pool scene is party-oriented and loud, so you have to be prepared for that. If that's what you're looking for, you'll truly appreciate that they have great drink specials and affordable food. Most hotels nickel and dime guests on poolside service, and I was blown away that they chose to offer things like $12 Corona buckets. Usually, it's $12 per Corona.

The main downside is that the pool gets VERY crowded on the weekend, and they treat it like a nightclub, with bouncers, velvet rope, guest list, etc. And, if you buy a drink in the pool area and take it back with you to your room, they will not let you bring it back into the pool area again. I appreciate that they're trying to keep things under control and limit access to hotel guests, but the staff was rude and the setup was inefficient. I was really pissed that I had to wait even 2 minutes in line to get into the pool. I'd also like to see a self-park option--valet gets pricey.

That annoyance aside, I was impressed by the combination of nice rooms, lively atmosphere, and affordable services, all for only $129/night. Very well done.

Room Tip: There are wings located away from the pool, which I am sure are much quieter on the weekends. Our ro...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Kristin_Heggli, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this review, 2 May 2012
Thank you for your comments. We do have live music at our pool on the weekends, making the hotel more lively. You will find it to be more quiet on weekdays and in the non-summer months. April is definitely a great time to walk around Old Town and I’m glad you were able to do that! Thank you for the comments about our food and beverage offerings at the pool; we strive to offer very reasonable prices along with varying specials every day. We have to have security at the pool on Saturdays to ensure that only registered hotel guests are being admitted; we do this to minimize overcrowding. I’m sorry that you found our staff to be rude; our security team works to be efficient yet friendly and we will work to ensure the best guest service. Please note that we do have two complimentary parking lots, aside from street parking; valet is not the only option. I’m glad you enjoyed your stay overall, and we hope to welcome you back again!
London, UK
Reviewed 30 April 2012

It's hard to know what to add to the list of great reviews here, as most of the obvious stuff has been said already. I loved the quirky 1950's style of the entire hotel and it was nice to see it continued in the rooms, every inch of which had clearly been carefully designed. I had a Tower King, on the 6th floor, with a great view over the pool, and it was light, airy and had a very spacious feel. The bathroom was particularly deluxe, with a huge soaking tub, and lovely soap which perfumed the room. If you like modern design, I think these rooms are some of the best in Scottsdale. I only have two tiny issues - to switch off the bedside reading lights, you need to get out of bed, which is annoying. And I could have done with a make-up mirror in the bathroom - the countertop made it hard to get close enough to the mirror to apply make up properly. Apart from these 2 minor issues, everything about my stay was perfect and I'd definitely return. Just take care if you're planning a weekend stay and want to relax by the pool - the Ho attracts a young, hip crowd, so the atmosphere is definitely pool party rather than relaxing family break.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
I'm glad you liked the style of the hotel! I also love the view from the Tower rooms. The hotel is lively in the summertime with live music at the pool, but is quieter on weekdays. You can see our full schedule at ohpool.com, so check there if you plan a return visit! Thank you for your comments.