“Great hotel - Great experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Valley Ho

Hotel Valley Ho
Ranked #4 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
Redding, California
“Great hotel - Great experience”
Reviewed 24 May 2012

This hotel exceeded all of my expectations! You will be treated by friendly staff, the concierge has hook ups all over the state for anything you can think of, the rooms are very comfortable and well appointed, and the pool is the best in Scottsdale! HVH is a block away from all of Old Town Scottsdale. Kevin and Kheri took care of us by the pool by day and a number of other staff took care of us in the ZuZu lounge by night. They will even set up a private SUV to pick you up or drop you off at the airport for a flat $30 fee! If you're looking for an experience second to none, this is the place to go!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Kristin_Heggli, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this review, 25 May 2012
We appreciate your comments! Judy and Rob at the concierge desk definitely know their stuff. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (429)
Canyon Lake, Texas
Reviewed 20 May 2012

This Hotel from the outside looks very inviting like a classy retro upscale adventure. This was not the case. Not in the least bit relaxing by the pool unless you find the college "spring break" experience a lovely retreat. A little run down and not so classy. Staff was friendly enough service at most times mediocre. Food about the same. I had to have my room key rekeyed 3 times. The last time I was locked out of my room getting ice. Waited 10 minutes in the 100 degree heat for someone to come up-no one appeared had to go down to the front desk. Then had to wait for security and have them escort me to my room and then show them ID. Might have taken that seriously except for WERE DID ALL THE EXTRA KIDS COME FROM AROUND THE POOL????? on Friday and Saturday? HMMMM secure that. Puke in the parking lot. A good place for my 21 year old son to hang out. If you are older then that probably won't like it much. 10 dollars to get on line 14 dollars to park your car in Valet. Could not find a parking space in the lot that was free. Would not stay here again and would not recommend to my friends.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mystiss
Kristin_Heggli, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this review, 21 May 2012
I’m sorry that the pool experience was not what you were looking for. We do have live music at our pool on the weekends in the summer; you will find it much quieter on weekdays and on weekends in non-summer months. The pool furniture was recovered just a few months ago, and we also re-painted the area at that time. We would love more information about your service at the pool so we can review it with our team; each guest’s experience is very important to us. Room keys can become demagnetized for various reasons, including being stored by credit cards or near any magnets, and sometimes they require a little finesse. We require credentials at the pool on Saturdays, as the pool is limited to hotel guests then. We do offer complimentary computers/Internet in our business center 24 hours daily, and two complimentary parking lots in addition to street parking. I definitely recommend visiting the hotel on a weekday or September through April, as it is a very different experience. Thank you for your comments, and we hope you’ll reconsider the hotel for a future stay.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 19 May 2012

Stayed here two days for work. Meeting room was wonderful--food and beverages were always refreshed. Lounge area had some great specials. Fresh baked goods were tastey. While the motif was fun, I did not like the "motel" feel. I was on the first floor near the pool and it was a little loud. Might be better for the non-work crowd!

Room Tip: If you want to sleep ask to be away from pool!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Marie N
I’m glad you enjoyed your meeting space, as well as the food and beverage. The hotel is a restored 1950s building. You might prefer the seven-story Tower for another visit. It opened in 2008 and features indoor hallways and views of either Downtown Scottsdale or Camelback Mountain. We do have live music at the pool on the weekends in the summer (until 6:30 p.m. on Fridays and 5:30 p.m. on Saturdays), and rooms further from the pool are quieter during this time. We hope you will consider the hotel for another stay! Thank you.
Charlottesville, Virginia
Reviewed 11 May 2012

My only complaint is the sound really. The rooms were super nice, and big! Fun hotel, great atmosphere! Comfy beds! However, the walls were thin. We could here the people in the room next to us and the music from the pool In the late afternoon. Otherwise, it was an amazing staycation for us!

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank AZW9LVER
Kristin_Heggli, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this review, 14 May 2012
I'm sorry to hear about your noise issues. The band finishes at 6:30pm at the pool on Fridays, and the DJ finishes at 5:30pm on Saturdays. We do also have some rooms further from the pool, which you might prefer. Please contact us if there is excess noise from other guest rooms; our team wants to ensure everyone has a comfortable stay. I'm glad you had a fun staycation, and we hope to see you again!
las vegas
Reviewed 11 May 2012

Even before I arrived, I knew this hotel was going to be special.
From the moment the reservation was made, the hotel immediately began developing a relationship with me and I hadn't even checked in!
Not the annoying kind of emails, but fun, gentle reminders and suggestions related to property-entertainment, dining, spa etc. etc.
Upgrades to your room type were offered at a tempting price which you were not only be tantelized but educated on the hotel through descriptions and photos.
I knew this hotel before I showed up and came prepared to not miss a thing!
It couldn't have had a better travel companion than my Dad who immediately upon entering the lobby glanced to the pool grounds and said "Wow! This does remind me of the Old Vegas days of the Sands and Desert Inn! (D.I. as referred by us natives).
The decor was as if I had just stepped onto the set of Mad Men and been transported in time-it wasn't old looking it was COOL! & HIP! I could envision back in the day he would have shown up in bermuda shorts with my mom in tow wearing her capris and some over the top large sun glasses with a colorful headband holding back her curly hair after the long drive in the convertible drop top.
The grounds were well kept and I was happy to see they were being mowed on a Thursday at noon and not 8 am Saturday morning as I've experienced elsewhere-really? who does that when people are sleeping?
Check in was swift and our room was ready early-plus plus!
Our room was located in one of the surrounding outside corridor buildings steps from the main building. Normally-outside corridors are a BIG NO NO for me and remind me of dingy rooms with a/c units in the window and dirty carpets. NOT THIS HOTEL! Wow! when we opened the door we were awed by the spaciousness and fabulous patio with a chaise lounge and a cafe table with two chairs calling our name (with a stop to the mini bar first!). Again, Hip and Cool! Mood lighting in the tub! Though the Tower rooms are said to be an upgrade-you will have a hard time getting me to pass on a regular room cuz a patio is key for me!
I have NEVER stayed at a cleaner hotel than the Hotel Valley Ho-I mean I looked at the baseboards, the vents, on the corners of the room-spotless!!!! Kudos to the housekeeping staff-job well done!
Service-Room Service was so fast the first day-we made a bet amongst ourselves the second day that the timing couldn't be beat-well, it was! Coffee delivered to the room within 5 minutes-I kid you not! All 3 days! Very nice staff too!
ZUZU-the food was terrific and the burger was perfectly made-broiled with a bit of crunch on the outside and perfectly done in the center medium rare-the chicken sticks rock! Staff again, impeccable.
OK-my favorite thing about ZUZU-BUILD YOUR OWN BLOODY MARY BAR!!!!! As a self proclaimed connoisseur of Bloody Marys and former barternder of 13 years-this is the best!! Every Saturday and Sunday-plenty of fixings and mixes-from cherry tomotoes, to pickled beans and asparagus, stuffed olives, hot sauces, seasoning and the kitchen sink-why have breakfast-drink it!
LOCATION-walking distance to Old Town Scottsdale-2 blocks! Need I say more?
POOL-Lively! Talented Bands and DJs keep the place hopping in the afternoon-only wished they were there in the night :-(
I could go on and on about this hotel, but my review would be too long (probably already is)-if you are headed to Scottsdale and you are looking for a lively time-whether you are young or "seasoned"-you have got to stay here!! It is definitely a different experience than any other-and in a time when everyone wants to be a "W"-I like the rebels who have character!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Kristin_Heggli, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this review, 24 May 2012
Thank you for your comments! I also love the original rooms. Our Tower rooms all have patios as well, though the non-Tower patios are larger. The Bloody Mary Bar on Sundays is definitely worth a visit! We hope to see you again.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 9 May 2012 via mobile

Very groovy and fun.. Great pool great location. Very friendly staff awesome breakfast, great location Go for the tower rooms! Great views of camelback mtn. Overnight parking can be pricey

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank m0vershaker
Kristin_Heggli, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this review, 11 May 2012
Thank you for your review! I also love the breakfast at ZuZu...especially the Strawberry Waffle. Our overnight valet parking ($14) is in a secured, underground lot. However, please keep in mind that we do have two complimentary parking lots and there is street parking as well. We hope to see you again soon!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 8 May 2012

Very disappointed with the service we received upon arrival to you hotel. I specifically spoke to a very nice lady and specified that I wanted to reserve a cabana room for my husband for our anniversary. She was very helpful in getting the best deal on the room. (Which I would advise you to make your reservation directly at the hotel because the deals were better)
We arrived and to our dismay, they decided to move us to the tower as an "upgrade" for our anniversary and were appauled that we were unappreciative for this upgrade when I specifically upgraded on my own to a cabana room for that purpose. The clerk actually said "most people appreciate an upgrade" which I found to be very out of line!!!
Now if they had upgraded us to one of the suites, maybe I could understand, but they actually tried to give us a regular tower room (which is slightly larger than a cabana room with a small balcony unfinished cement ceiling) and cost less per night than a cabana room. That was a downgrade, not an upgrade because they had really given our room away to someone who decided they wanted to stay an extra night!!!!! I have stayed in hotels in the past and was moved after the first night because someone else had reserved that specific room which should be the policy at all hotels. But instead of being honest and giving us a better room they tried to scam us and downgrade us for the same price!!!! After much arguing with Andy the manager, we agreed to stay only because he gave us half off the room for the first night and promised to move us the next morning to the room we had rented initially.
We did not use the pool during the day on Sat because they had a very loud Cinco de Mayo party going on which appeared to be private and wall to wall college kids (everyone had wristbands and they were checking names off the list). I wish we had known this in advance and we would have stayed an extra night at the Hyatt Gainey Ranch which was much quieter.
The valet guys and bellmen were excellent! Mike our bellman the first day tried to do what he could do to make sure our stay was a good one. You should have him as a manager as he DOES have the most excellent customer service!! Room service was good and food was great. A bit pricey, but no more than any other nice hotel and the server does tell you gratuity is already included which was nice! The bar was crazy overpriced! My friend bought my husband and I each a drink and it was $27?? We never looked cause we charged everything to the room. Once we were in the Cabana room, everything was perfect and the rest of the trip was fine until check out when I had to once again talk to manager Jeremy because Andy tried to only give half off of the original price I was paying for my upgraded room instead of what the actual price of the room. Jeremy was very apologetic for the inconvenience we experienced and corrected the problems. Although the monetary compensation was all Jeremy could do after the fact, I would have rather gotten what I had paid for and been a satisfied customer rather than lose a full day and evening in the cabana room. We did use the pool after 5PM on Sunday once the pool cleared out, and were the only ones in there. That was nice.
Would I stay here again? Not on a weekend, and only if there was a guarantee they would not downgrade me and allow someone to stay an extra day in the cabana room I reserved... All of the staff except the front desk staff upon arrival were great and very nice and helpful.

Room Tip: Recommend adults travel on a weeknight because pool area is over run by college kids and locals on w...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank LUVTOTRAVEL5505
Kristin_Heggli, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this review, 10 May 2012
I am very sorry to hear about the issues you had during your stay. I know our director of guest operations, Jeremy, spoke with you at length upon your departure. He took time to resolve your issues and was happy to hear your positive comments about the hotel. I will be happy to address your comments.

The Cabana Guest Room and Tower Signature Guest Room have varying prices; sometimes one is more expensive than the other, but the Cabana Guest Room is not always less. Unfortunately we were unable to offer a Cabana due to availability, and I do apologize for that. I’m glad you were able to enjoy part of your stay in our Cabana Guest Room with assistance from the front desk team. We do have a DJ at our pool on Saturdays April through September, so the pool is more lively during this time. The pool is limited to hotel guests only, so the people at the pool were staying here overnight. The full calendar of pool entertainment can be seen on our website. I definitely recommend visiting the pool on other days of the week (or earlier on Saturdays) if you like a quiet atmosphere. I’m glad you were able to at least visit the pool for some relaxation on Sunday afternoon. Our drink prices are comparable to other hotel bars, and you may want to stop by during happy hour ($5 appetizers and $3 beer, wine, and signature cocktails). We appreciate your comments as they give us an opportunity to review any service issues, and I hope that you will consider visiting the hotel again. The atmosphere is quite different on weekdays and also October through March. Thank you.