“Fantastic property and rooms”

Fairmont Scottsdale Princess
Ranked #12 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Denver
“Fantastic property and rooms”
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I stayed at the Scottsdale Princess while attending a work conference. I stayed in one of the outlying Fairmont Gold Junior Suites and it was undoubtedly the nicest hotel room I've ever stayed in. The design of the room was visually appealing, and I really liked how they segmented the room with an upgraded wet bar. The bathroom was enormous and very well appointed. There was even a nice little balcony overlooking the golf course.

The overall hotel grounds were quite large. There are different pools, and very nice fountains all around. I took a few jogs in surrounding neighborhoods, which are all very upscale and nice.

There are two minor cons:
1) The fitness room is somewhat outdated and small relative to the size of the hotel.
2) The water needed to run for about 10 minutes before warming up.

That being said, this is still what I reference as the nicest hotel I've ever stayed at.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (657)
Shropshire
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We stayed here at the beginning of Feb 2012. We felt that $399 per night (less 10% discount offered) was overpriced for this hotel. Having paid this there is an internet connection charge $14.99 per night per device. You can get free wifi in the local shops and restaurants (and at all the other hotels we stayed in)!! The hotel is ugly and the corridors are cold, draughty and noisy - the housekeeping trolleys rattle along the tiled floor. The bar is located in a central courtyard of the hotel - which is cold and the indoor bar area empty. You could hear the bar music from our room, so if you want an early night, don't stay here.
There are much better value resorts than this hotel in better locations that are more aesthetically pleasing!

1 Thank Jonah67
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 19 February 2012

We stayed in a casita while my husband attended a conference here. Although a nice layout, the casita was rather dated and in need of attention. The wallpaper was peeling off the walls in the WC. Tiny bugs were walking on the floor of the WC and in the tub. The towels had a gray tinge. Woodwork (doors, baseboards, sink fronts) were all very dirty. The wooden blind at the entrance to the room was broken. The bed is very comfortable, but the furniture looks rather battered. Room service food was very good, but the food arrived about 30 minutes later than promised. Overall, for the price and the Fairmont reputation I'm really not impressed.

Room Tip: Not the casita
2 Thank weeter
Elise P, Director of Sales at Fairmont Scottsdale Princess, responded to this review, 2 April 2012
Guest,

I am so sorry that your recent stay with us did not meet your expectations. The resort has completed over $60 million in renovations in the past few years. All our standard guest rooms, Fairmont Gold and main suites received a complete renovation. Our Casita’s have recently received upgrades as well and we plan to replace furniture within the next year. The warm Arizona climate inspires our guests to leave their patio doors open and provides access to our native creatures to the rooms. Our housekeeping and engineering team treat and inspect rooms on a regular basis to avoid any issues. We are sorry we were unable to prevent this from happening before you contacted us during your visit. I hope you will allow us to host your visit when you return to Scottsdale. I invite you to contact me directly at 480-585-4848 to further discuss your time with us and the potential of hosting a return visit. Thank you for sharing your concerns.

Warm regards,

Pam Gilbert
Director of Sales and Marketing
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed 17 February 2012

The property is big & beautifully landscaped. The front desk staff was great, the concierge was very helpful prior to arrival & during our stay. We had our spa treatments, restaurant reservations & excursions all taken care of. The Willow Stream Spa area was nice but lacked the attention for such costly services. I had a treatment each day & each day the spa lacked an attendant in both mens & women's. My masseuse needed more experience & my time was cut short & it was disappointing. I did bring it to their attention & my service was discounted. The Spa pool area needed some attention too. The restaurants on the property were excellent. La Hacienda & Bourbon. The car service is recommended by the valet but I felt taken advantage of 2X with the price. Ask before you ride! Overall it's a beautiful property & it's pretty at the princess!

Room Tip: Rooms seemed to be a little bit more upgraded than the Casita's. The Casita's are a lot lar...
Surrey,BC
Reviewed 16 February 2012

We booked thru Hotwire and got a great price for our stay at the Fairmount. Our room was in the older part of the hotel and not much of a view. The room was huge, clean and beds were very comfortable. Staff were great,very friendly & helpful.The grounds were beautiful & well kept..As with most resort type hotels watch out for all the extra fees...resort fee-parking fee-wi-fi fees it can add up in a hurry.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 16 February 2012

Our accommodations were perfect. The room was spacious, the beds and linens were very comfortable, the grounds were beautifully landscaped and clean. The spa facility onsite was beyond compare. The restaurants onsite had delicious food. In this heavenly place, it was annoying - to say the least - to keep encountering unnecessary and exorbitant small charges. Internet connection charges were $15 per day! For goodness sake, in this day and age, just about everyone needs wifi, and it's often included at no charge. We were fortunate to have our rooms comped for our event, and upon check-in we were told that we would only have to pay incidentals. Upon check out, I learned the contract committed us to bellhop fees of $24 (even though we never used the bellhop services since we had small overnight cases) and $8 maid gratuity fees (even though I had already left a tip in my room because no one had informed me of this obligation). They refused to waive those fees, referring us to whoever was responsible for the contract. It seems to me that since they wanted my money, it was their responsibility to have informed me at check in. In addition, there was someone else's bar bill attached to our room, which they graciously removed. The point is: Ask up front about what "incidentals" means, and review your bill carefully before departing. It was disappointing to end our lovely visit on a sour note over these unnecessary fees.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Mama2More
Elise P, Manager at Fairmont Scottsdale Princess, responded to this review, 2 April 2012
Guest,

We appreciate your feedback regarding your stay with us and are thrilled you found your room and the grounds relaxing and welcoming. Willow Stream Spa is spectacular, and we are happy to hear you were able to experience our 44,000 sq. ft. oasis in the desert. With all of our group contracts, such as the one you stayed with us for, we request that the planner who is in charge of the event communicate directly with the attendees in regards to what charges they will be responsible for, such as internet fees and parking. We do offer complimentary internet to our Fairmont President's Club members, and we encourage you to enroll in this free rewards program by visiting our website directly. We hope you will choose to stay with us again the next time you visit Scottsdale, and look forward to hosting you in the near future.

Best Regards,

Elise Pagnini, Online Marketing Manager
Calgary
Reviewed 10 February 2012

Beautiful property and grounds...this place is HUGE...I could only find 3 of the 5 pools in the two days I was there. The bell and valet staff were wonderful, there was one front desk staff that I found to be very awkward and not to Fairmont standards. We were celebrating our honeymoon, which. Was noted on our reservation, and there was no mention at check in or any acknowledgment during our stay at all. A bit dissapointing. We could pay an extra $9 at our time of reservation to get a golf course view upgrade if available, and I was told weeks earlier that our room type always has a golf course view, so I'm pretty sure they made an easy $18 off that. Regardless, the rooms and view were fantastic, we were attending a golf event and the location can't be beat for that.

• Stayed February 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scottsdale
The Phoenician, Scottsdale
#18 of 75 in Scottsdale
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,140 reviews
Troon North
Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North
Paradise Valley
The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa

Been to Fairmont Scottsdale Princess? Share your experiences!