“Pleasantly surprised!”
Review of Sky Ranch Lodge

Sky Ranch Lodge
Reviewed 26 April 2006

After having made my reservation for SRL a year ago based on my sisters recommendation, I began to read Trip advisors views of it and I was worried I had made a huge mistake! I reserved one of the two rim cottages with 2 queen beds, living room and kichenette. We arrived for a three night stay over Easter weekend. I was impressed with the quaint lobby area and gift shop, the grounds are well kept and our cottage was a pleasant surprise! I can see why people have negative comments about the place, we had a 3 inch hole in our carpet and the wall paper was peeling in the bathroom and the kichenette fit in a closet it was so small and compact, but the view was amazing!! Our unit was clean and decorated with a country theme. Yes, the carpet needs to be replaced and take off the peeling wall paper and just put on a fresh coat of paint it wouldn't hurt to replace the tub and toilet with newer ones, but with the amount of time we spent in the unit, we were comfortable. I do wish they had a washer and dryer closer to the cottage side of the property, both laundry rooms were all the way on the opposite side, so I just drove our car over instead of walking. We did eat at the airport for dinner and breakfast once. It was fine, if your tired and hungry and don;t want to drive too far. We ate at The Brewery in Talaquepaque, the Coffee Pot for breakfast and Easter brunch at The Enchantment Resort, I enjoyed all of these places. We hiked all the vortexes and visited the church in the rock, the weather was beautiful and the scenery was out of this world!!

• Stayed: April 2006
8  Thank tbrash
There are newer reviews for Sky Ranch Lodge

A TripAdvisor Member
Berkeley CA
Reviewed 23 April 2006

It's motel type lodging thats two stories, so you might have to deal with noisy guests in adjoining rooms above or next to you. BUT, this place was clean,modern, and well run. They even had wetair cooling instead of aircon. Great pool and setting as it sits on top of a summit with great views (depending on your room) of most of Sedona. Your only neighbor is the airport (don't eat there)300 yards away with little noise and NONE at night. The only negative thing was the staff member who hurried us along and gave us some terrible eating recommendations. Eat at Wildflower or Picazzos. Avoid Joses and Ravenhart Coffee.
We paid $89. night with child.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 22 April 2006

This is the type of resort you enjoy when you want to take in the full view and beauty of the Sedona landscape. It is hard to beat the morning sunrise and view from the rear of the rooms. Plan on using the microwave. coffeemaker, and regfrigerator in the room to support a leasurely and breathtaking breakfast from the back patio or, if in the inner circle of rooms at the Inn, to watch the birds hovering over the neatly landscaped facility.
Accomodations are clean and comfortable albeit the motif is in need of updating. The 24 hour coffee service at the reception desk keeps the caffeine drip flowing freely. Don't expect valet service but do plan on being greeted by a genuine and friendly staff that is willing to answer any questions about the surrounding area.
This is a lodge that with an interior renovation could easily command three times its current price due to its location and view. Maybe we should keep that a secret to the owners?

• Stayed: April 2006
2  Thank David R
Reviewed 28 March 2006

From our separate cottage, the view was as advertised: magnificent. However, 30 yards from our separate cottage outside the view was magnificant and unobstructed. Cost was $189 plus $24 in fees and taxes. No discount for AAA or AARP. No amenities to speak of. No packets of hot chocolate or holiday cookies in room. No USA Today. Wall paper peeling in bathroom. Hole in carpet. Dishes were not clean, smeary/greasy and no dish detergent. Brought this to the attention of the manager on duty and that night we had dish detergent... but the dishes were still smeary and greasy!! My sister & I expected more for the price I paid. Would not recommend the 2 separate cottages. I sent a letter recommending some changes and never heard back from the owner. I guess they do not care how their guests felt about staying at their lodge. For the price quoted above, you can stay at far better more caring places.

Stayed: December 2005
8  Thank AnthonyD4421
A TripAdvisor Member
boston
Reviewed 8 January 2006

I have stayed at this hotel twice in the past three years. I have to say the price is right but I would not go back, I was disappointed in the rooms, they could use new carpet,curtains, and bedspreads. The rooms need some sprucing up.

• Stayed: October 2005
12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 10 December 2005

Since Sedona is so expensive, we think we made a good choice with the Sky Ranch Lodge. The location was right for us; we enjoyed being a little bit away from the center of Sedona and the main road. Despite the natural beauty of the area, IMO, the town and main road are pretty awful looking.

We liked our room: it was a king with a fireplace and no view. It was very clean, but there was some cat hair on the chairs when we arrived. I went to the office, and despite it being in the evening, a cleaning team came in and thoroughly vacummed all the furniture. They also offered us a different room. Also, some nasty person had forced a cigarette butt through the fireplace screen and it was still there. This was a non smoking room, but to give them a break, the screen was bolted on and there was a tiny vent hole that the nasty smoker had forced the butt through. Someone who would do something like that probably wouldn't pay attention to the fact that they were in a non smoking room.

The grounds were quite pretty and it was very quiet. we enjoyed it and although I doubt if I will return to Sedona, if I did, I would stay at Sky Ranch Lodge. Sedona is beautiful as is much of Arizona; there were a lot of tasteless shops and galleries, and very tacky faux New Mexican architecture that drove me nuts. Tlaquepaque was so pretty, but one shop after another had some of the worst art I've ever seen in my life.

• Stayed: November 2005
8  Thank debkurt
Reviewed 15 November 2005

We stayed two nights in the least expensive room available. It was clean and everything was in operating condition. It had a back door and a small patio which my smoking friend appreciated (room was non-smoking). My only real gripes are that the bed mattress was super cheap and uncomfortable, and the walls were thin.

The grounds are nice and the lodge appears to be very pet friendly. There was minimal contact with the staff, but upon check in the young man was friendly and informative.

There is a nice restaurant at the airport which is within walking distance. We enjoyed breakfast there and then took a ride over Sedona in a small airplane.

The price was right (considering the area is expensive)for those on a budget. Next time I will pay a little more for a better bed and quiet.

• Stayed: November 2005