Ways to Experience Schnebly Hill Road
from US$69.99
More Info
from US$113.79
More Info
All reviews high clearance wheel drive rental car ground clearance jeep tour bumpy ride cow pies kidney pink jeep merry go round vista point red rocks turned around outstanding views parking lot parking area great trip
Reviewed April 22, 2018

Take this short drive to the parking area and be rewarded by stunning views of the red rocks and the Sedona valley. As the sun moves, the views changed in character and shape, so worth while... numerous benches for picnics or meditation... be aware, beyond the parking lot the road turns to an all wheel drive road for vehicles with good clearance.

Reviewed April 17, 2018

This is by far super fun..we did the road trip about 25 years ago. Don't even remember the road now to take you up and up and up to some of the most gorgeous scenery around. We stopped and ate a picnic lunch (ate mine the the jeep due to yellow jackets swarming the food). Climbed Merry Go Round and amazed by the feeling of how small we really are..DO IT!!! And, go 4 wheel ALL THE WAY UP..

Reviewed April 9, 2018

We were driving back to Canada after a months holiday in Mesa. We decided to take Highway 17 north of Phoenix and stop in at Sedona on the way and take in the beautiful scenery one last time. My wife was navigating at the time and suggested we take Highway 226, whicht looked like a shortcut off highway 17, west to Sedona. We turned off the highway, saw a sign recommending trucks or four wheel drive vehicles only, and in a few minutes were on a gravel road, similar to the forestry roads in Canada. Wrong! After about a quarter mile of gravel, we started running into small exposed rocks. That didn't seem too bad so we carried on. The road got progressively worse as the rocks got bigger and bigger. We were going downhill most of the way, thus I was riding the brake a lot of the time. My wife was starting to become a nervous wreck, as she had to guide me through areas of rocks around 15 inches high. A couple of times we were around a foot from the edge of the road, with a drop of several hundred feet to the bottom. Like a fool, I decided to carry on, risking life and limb and damage to our 2013 Ford Escape, which I believe had all wheel drive. About two thirds of the way on our 12 mile( I think) adventure, who did we meet, but about 15 or more Pink Jeeps coming up the road from Sedona. We had taken one of those tours about 4 years ago and I'm sure we were on the same road. Of course, everyone had smiles as they went roaring by us. We returned the smiles, to indicate we were really having fun, which was a lie. At one point I commented to one of the jeep drivers, " I think we took a wrong turn". Of course he laughed at my comment and was probably thinking " You have to be an idiot to take your car on this road". He was right. We finally got to the end of the road in Sedona and breathed a sigh of relief. I don't know if it was from the trip, but our windshield was cracked the next day and we replaced once we were home. Our little adventure took one and a half hours to travel the 12 miles, plus a couple of pairs of underwear. The views are spectacular as most people have said, that is if you have time to look at them. If you decide to take this road make sure your tires are in good shape, your brakes are Really good, and you have high clearance or you will bottom out in a number of areas. To take this road in the rain or when it is wet, could be suicide.

2  Thank harrier2018
Reviewed March 25, 2018

Extremely rough road, but the views are spectacular when yoi get to the top of Schnebley Road. The state needs to repair the road as it is so heavily trveled by the Jeep tours as well as tourist.

1  Thank Dottie W
Reviewed March 13, 2018

This was our frst jeep rental trail tour. We elected to take the easier but most scenic of the trails as even though I have driven more than 2.5 million miles in my lifetime, little of it has been on rocky mountain trails that a passenger truck wouldn't handle. The 2 hour round trip actually took only 1:45 even stopping for photos along the way and walking to the vista when at the peak. This is an amazing view that shouldn't be passed up. There are spots that it is really rocky and you can't go more than half a mile per hour for a ways, but many spots were not terribly rough, so averaging 4-5 miles per hour wasn't hard if you know how to drive well and have common sense about road conditions.

1  Thank Bruce G