“Unexpected surprise.”
Review of Troia's - CLOSED

Troia's
Price range: US$10 - US$25
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Serving fresh delicious traditional Italian fare in Sedona since 1997! We source organic produce locally whenever available. Many of our menu items can easily be prepared gluten-free if you wish, by substituting the pasta or using gluten-free flour in the preparation, we also have gluten-free pizza dough,and we offer many great vegetarian options. Casual contemporary atmosphere,open exhibtion kitchen. Chef Shawn has been making our Patrons happy for almost 17 years,after Culinary School Shawn was trained in '97 by Sam #1,aka "Pop", who spent 70 years in the business, and whose recipes we proudly still serve!Sam and Rosanne Troia will be here to welcome you almost every evening, and do all we can for you to have a memorable evening. Chef Shawn is always here if we are not ~ Buon Aptitio!
Reviewed August 26, 2014

Great Italian restaurant. The two dishes we had were spaghetti boulignesse and veal marsala. Both were delicious but the marsala was our favorite. Bread was fresh and tasty and the mixed green salad was quite flavorful. We will definitely be going back.

3  Thank Chris F

Reviewed August 25, 2014

The crust was a cross between a saltine cracker and cracker bread which was unexpected but pleasant (we still prefer a good traditional crust, however). The next thing we noticed was the tasty cheese. Although the sauce was good, it did not have as much flavor as we would have liked. The vegetables were very, very thinly sliced; we would have preferred a thicker cut.

We ordered the 16" size which was the biggest they had. When we picked the box up, It felt a little light and, fortunately we'd had an appetizer at Red's (we were staying at the Sedona Rouge) so we didn't feel hungry. Because of its very thin and crispy crust, it was a unique pizza so it cannot easily be compared to traditional pizzas. The total cost was just slightly under $27. It was a take-out.

The restaurant is clean, attractive, and they do not deliver. The staff was very pleasant and the menu for the non-pizza items is very comprehensive and up-scale. In addition to the traditional range of Italian favorites, they also offer 6 seafood creations. The range of prices for those non-pizza items is between $20 and $25 and the range on their "pastas della casa" dishes was $13 to $20.

1  Thank on_the_go_98765
Reviewed August 21, 2014

Every time before I go away I look at Trip Advisor and make a list of possible restaurants to eat at. I look at websites and menus. This is mainly because me and my family are a little picky and have food restrictions (such as no meat, no salt). Troia's was on my list. We were shopping at a store and asked the owner what places she likes to eat at. She said Troia's. So off we went. The place is inviting though not fancy; lots of natural light. The kitchen (might I add is immaculate) opens up to the restaurant. The service is wonderful; wait staff wants to please. My son and husband shared two dishes; shrimp, scampi and pasta bolognese. The sauce for the pasta has three meats in it. Both my husband and son could not decide which dish they liked better! They both enjoyed each dish thoroughly. I had the salmon which was prepared to my liking and was cooked to perfection. My daughter had a shrimp scampi gluten free pizza. She devoured the entire pie (it was an individual one but a nice size). Portions are generous and food is fabulous. A must "go to" place when in Sedona. Ask to meet the owner- a gem of a guy!

2  Thank VIvian666
Reviewed August 11, 2014

This restaurant was recommended by the hotel staff.
We were not disappointed with the meal (we both had the special - hanger steak, kinda like london broil with a chianti reduction sauce). My wife ordered hers medium (she usually orders medium well, but I talked her out of it because the meat would be thinner) and I ordered medium-rare. As it turns out, hers had more 'rare' pieces than mine...so it was a bit inconsistent. My dish was marked as the 'rarer' of the two, but maybe the chef has dislexia.
Service was great, our waiter continued to check on us and made some great recommendations.
The dining room was a bit sparse (not much "personality") but the kitchen was open so you could see the chef working about.
One problem I had was the menu is a bit limited in complexity, very basic Italian entrees (about 4-5 to choose from). Other than that, we really enjoyed the meal.

1  Thank CaAz-JT
Reviewed August 3, 2014

Food and service were both great. If you LOVE Italian food, then this is the place to go. One of the better dining establishments in Sedona. Not over priced.

1  Thank JWCornwell