“Best hotel to stay at when running P.F. Chang's Rock n Roll Marathon”

Red Lion Inn & Suites Phoenix-Tempe
Ranked #5 of 53 Hotels in Tempe
Reviewed 27 January 2012

I have stayed at a lot of hotels for a lot of marathons and this one is BY FAR the best hotel to stay in for a road race! For my 2nd year in a row, I chose to stay here when running the P.F. Chang Rock n’ Roll marathon in January and if I’m lucky to be in town again in 2013, I will definitely stay here again. I found this hotel to be extremely runner friendly and highly recommend it to runners.
The hotel offers a free shuttle on Friday to the light rail station so that runners can get to the expo. On Saturday, the hotel offered 5 different shuttle times direct to the expo and returning back to the hotel. On Race morning, there were 3 different shuttle departures that you had to sign up for to take runners close to the half marathon start. It was a 10 minute shuttle ride. If a runner was in the marathon, then they just had to board the light rail (free before 7am) at the half marathon starting point to downtown Phoenix which was 8 stops away, about a 22 minute ride. The Hampton also opened breakfast up at 5am, which is way earlier than usual on a Sunday morning. The Hampton also offers shuttle rides back after running the races, picking up at 11am on the southeast corner of Packard Drive & Rio Salado Parkway. If you chose to walk back to the hotel after the race, it is only a 1.7 mile walk, which is a nice walk across the river if you want to rid your legs of residual lactic acid.
I really like this Hampton Inn. They have free parking, laundry facilities (change & detergent available at front desk), an ice machine for icing knees, a pool, and a jacuzzi for sore muscles. Their lobby looks more like a Homewood Suites and their breakfast seems more Homewood Suites-like. I had a kitchenette this year which had a refrigerator, microwave, sink, 2 flat screen tvs with HBO and coffee maker. Last year I just took a basic room and was fine with that as well during my stay. I did not eat any breakfast here but the only difference I noticed from other Hamptons was that they had a pot of oatmeal made, instead of instant packets.

Room Tip: Check out the attached hotel room layout to pick the room that suites you best!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 26 January 2012

This Hotel is not your typical Hampton Inn. Apparently it was something else, and was converted to a Hampton Inn. All rooms access from the outside. I am a Hilton Diamond and my wife and I stay at Hamptons frequently. First off, at check in, there were no upgrade rooms available, so we got put into a real doozie. The sink is outside the bathroom, around the corner toward the closet. Go figure that one. The desk agent was curt almost to the point of rude when I was trying to get any kind of upgrade or improvement on the room we were assigned. Breakfast area cramped for the size of the Hotel. Food was ok, but not up to usual Hampton standards. I'm sure I reserved a king bed, but I think we got something even smaller than a queen. Nothing on the reservation to document it.

Room Tip: Go to the Hampton or Doubletree on 44th, or the Hilton south of the Airport. This place isn't w...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Cacheville
tempe_hampton_andrew, Front Office Manager at Red Lion Inn & Suites Phoenix-Tempe, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2012

Cacheville, I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy your recent stay with us. Our goal is to provide every customer with a great experiance. We upgrade all of our Hilton Honors members when ever we can. I apologize again for the problems you experianced during your stay. If you are in the area again, please contact me and consider giving us another opportunity to provide you with a great stay. Thank you -Andrew

Reviewed 17 January 2012

I stayed at the Hampton Inn & Suites Tempe at the end of a Holiday vacation. I chose this hotel because of the free 24 hour shuttle to PHX (which will also take you to any destination within 5 miles of the hotel) and the continental breakfast. The rooms, while small, were perfectly acceptable for a single guest. The room included a hair dryer, flat screen TV with HBO, some toiletries (shampoo, gel, mouthwash, etc.) a desk with chair and armchair. The hotel has a pool, weight room, free parking and the standard Hampton Inn continental breakfast (waffles, juice, coffee, danish, yogurt, etc.). The hotel is only 2 floors with an exterior elevator and only exterior room doors to the pool or parking lot. My only complaint had to do with the noisy under-window heater/air conditioners that turn on every 10 minutes. If you're a light sleeper I'd stay away from this hotel. The hotel is also under the flight path to the airport so there is the constant hum of jets taking off and landing.

The hotel is located in the southern part of Scottsdale near Old Town Scottsdale, Arizona State University and PHX just north of Loop 202, the Red Mountain Freeway.

The room and bathroom were small but comfortable with newer furniture and nice linen. I only stayed 2 nights and even with the noisy heater/AC and airport noise I got a good nights sleep and would recommend this hotel to others.

Room Tip: Be sure and accept a room away from Scottsdale Blvd.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
10  Thank Mark O
Reviewed 15 January 2012

Stayed here for one night on the way to Mexico. They offer a stay, park, fly option that is cheaper than staying in another hotel and parking at the airport during a vacation trip. This is an upscale hotel with very clean room with upscale furniture. My one and only negative about this place is that the room was a little smaller than I had expected.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Bob_101_10
Reviewed 5 December 2011

Landed at the airport by 9am. Called the hotel asking about a shuttle. One was at the airport in less thn 10 mins. Back to the hotel by 930am and ask about storing a bag till checkin time. The young lady said she could check me in if I did not mind a first floor room. I was floored as they were still serving breakfast. Checked in, small room, but hey, dropped my bag, had cereal and waffles, and off into the valley of the sun. Hold it, had a rental car reservation about a mile away. The kid who picked up me at PHX wants to take me to Hertz HLE, but he has to drop people at ASU. Another driver shows up in 2 mins and I'm in my rental within 15 mins. Roomwise, small. Fitness center small. I just like the free shuttle because it's a 15 dollar min taxi ride to the rental car place and I got breakfast to boot. The young lady at the desk, super nice. Will stay here again. Tip the shuttle driver well, that's why the first kid wanted to take me to Hertz.

• Stayed: November 2011
4  Thank TravelingChumley
tempe_hampton_andrew, Front Office Manager at Red Lion Inn & Suites Phoenix-Tempe, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2011

TravelingChumley, Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. I am happy to hear we were able to provide such a positive experiance for you and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed 29 November 2011

We're a military family and we frequently stay at Hampton Inns. We stayed at this property over Thanksgiving week and the hotel staff were the nicest people we've ever met at any hotel. The front desk staff, the awesome FREE shuttle drivers (we got a free ride to/from the ASU game), and the outstanding breakfast staff, as well as the housekeepers, were all so friendly and helpful. The pools were great and the beds were more comfortable than the Bellagio, where I stayed last month. Overall wonderful visit! 2 room suite was large and comfortable. Wasn't noisy at all, slept very well! Terrific value. Great for kids!

Room Tip: Take advantage of the huge, free breakfast as well as the free shuttle services to get you around Sc...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 November 2011

checked in early for the Arizona Ironman. Prices were truly half of hotels where other competitors stayed, beds were great, and the free breakfast was fresh and thoughtfully planned early for race day. Best, van driver Hector was like a personal chauffer to anyplace in town.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
tempe_hampton_andrew, Front Office Manager at Red Lion Inn & Suites Phoenix-Tempe, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2011

DLB_10, Thank you for taking the time to wright a review about your recent stay with us. Providing a great experiance for our guest is our #1 priority, and I am happy to hear we acomplished this. We look forward to seeing you again. Thank You -Andrew

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tempe
0.1 km away
23.4 km away
Brixton Hotel Phoenix North
13.1 km away
Drury Inn & Suites Phoenix Tempe

Been to Red Lion Inn & Suites Phoenix-Tempe? Share your experiences!