I have stayed at a lot of hotels for a lot of marathons and this one is BY FAR the best hotel to stay in for a road race! For my 2nd year in a row, I chose to stay here when running the P.F. Chang Rock n’ Roll marathon in January and if I’m lucky to be in town again in 2013, I will definitely stay here again. I found this hotel to be extremely runner friendly and highly recommend it to runners.
The hotel offers a free shuttle on Friday to the light rail station so that runners can get to the expo. On Saturday, the hotel offered 5 different shuttle times direct to the expo and returning back to the hotel. On Race morning, there were 3 different shuttle departures that you had to sign up for to take runners close to the half marathon start. It was a 10 minute shuttle ride. If a runner was in the marathon, then they just had to board the light rail (free before 7am) at the half marathon starting point to downtown Phoenix which was 8 stops away, about a 22 minute ride. The Hampton also opened breakfast up at 5am, which is way earlier than usual on a Sunday morning. The Hampton also offers shuttle rides back after running the races, picking up at 11am on the southeast corner of Packard Drive & Rio Salado Parkway. If you chose to walk back to the hotel after the race, it is only a 1.7 mile walk, which is a nice walk across the river if you want to rid your legs of residual lactic acid.
I really like this Hampton Inn. They have free parking, laundry facilities (change & detergent available at front desk), an ice machine for icing knees, a pool, and a jacuzzi for sore muscles. Their lobby looks more like a Homewood Suites and their breakfast seems more Homewood Suites-like. I had a kitchenette this year which had a refrigerator, microwave, sink, 2 flat screen tvs with HBO and coffee maker. Last year I just took a basic room and was fine with that as well during my stay. I did not eat any breakfast here but the only difference I noticed from other Hamptons was that they had a pot of oatmeal made, instead of instant packets.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We are a three-tier Resort style destination centrally located in the heart of the Phoenix Metro Area, 1 mile north of Arizona State University, 2 miles south of Old Town Scottsdale, 1 mile west of the brand new Tempe Marketplace, and less than 4 miles east of the Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX).The Red Lion Inn & Suites Phoenix/Tempe – ASU is conveniently located one mile from downtown Tempe and Arizona State University. With 162 beautiful guestrooms and suites, our hotel offers central location, diverse amenities and a friendly staff with in-depth knowledge of the region. Whether you’re travelling to Arizona for business or pleasure, we are the ideal destination for anyone visiting the Phoenix/Tempe area. If you’re looking for world-class shopping, recreation and entertainment, you’ve come to the right place. Watch the Cactus League Spring Training featuring 15 MLB teams. Golf at top notch courses like ASU Karsten Golf Course, Arizona Grand Resort or the Legacy Golf Resort. Paddle a kayak around Tempe Town Lake and afterward, take in a Broadway performance at the ASU Gammage auditorium. Shop at Old Town Scottsdale, just four miles away and one of the biggest destinations in the greater Phoenix area. Relax in one of our guestrooms featuring signature Red Lion beds, complimentary wi-fi, work desks and flat screen TVs. Suite options include rooms with an oven, dishwasher, refrigerator and microwave. Our resort-style setting offers a complimentary breakfast, fitness center, 24-hour convenience store, news stand, outdoor swimming pool, 15-person whirlpool, tennis court and a putting green. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Red Lion Inn & Suites Phoenix-Tempe reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hampton Inn & Suites Phoenix Tempe - Asu Hotel Tempe
- Hampton Inn And Suites Phoenix Tempe - Asu
- Hampton Inn Tempe
- Tempe Hampton Inn
- Hampton Inn Asu