“The staff make this place above average - but breakfast not included!”

Ramada Tempe Near ASU
Ranked #45 of 52 Hotels in Tempe
Cranbrook, Canada
“The staff make this place above average - but breakfast not included!”
Reviewed 5 November 2011

I spent a week at this hotel. Bryce Olson greeted me when i arrived. Due to flight delays I was almost 6 hours behind and a ittle frazzled, but he was so very delightful and welcoming that he turned my frown upside down.
I had a suite, the price sure was right. Kitchenettes do not come with any cooking supplies but are rentable for $20 for the duration of your stay. Missy, the Front Desk Manager was very helpful in giving me some plastic cutlery, bowls, plates etc. so that I didn't have to. There was a 2-burner stove, a large microwave, a large fridge, and of course a coffee maker.
Food City is practically next door, so I picked up a few things to make sandwiches and microwave eggs, Food City also had a fairly extensive hot counter available for take-out.

The big downer of this place is that breakfast is not included!! Part of the reason that I like to stay at Choice Hotel chains is so that I can have breakfast without a fuss in the morning. They do have a breakfast for $5, but it was mostly carbs which didn't appeal to me. I went to the Food City and bought some fresh fruit to put in my fridge so that I wouldn't have to get dressed and go out in search of food in the mornings. I really do think that the owner should re-think the breakfast thing,

The pool and hot tub are in the courtyard, sun shines on it mid-day. Both are very nice. There are seldom pool towels there, but front desk will give you one. Sadly, they close the pool and hot tub at 10pm, it would have been nice for me if it was open until at least 11pm.

There is a free "blue" shuttle stop close by which will take you up to Old Town Scottsdale which is a lovely area with lots of galleries, a few restaurants and cafes.

There is a Starbucks very near by the Quality Suites, and a sports pub (Philly's) also right across the street.

It does get fairly noisy at the hotel on the weekends.
The bedrooms are very bright, white shutters only, so if you don't want to be woken up at the crack of dawn you should bring a sleep mask.
Most of the rooms include some type of stairs. I requested to have my room changed to a ground level upon check-in and I was accomodated. it still included slogging my luggage down some stairs and back up again.
The fitness facility is good, but right off of the front desk and visible to everyone coming in. I didn't use it for this reason, too public.

The housekeepers were all very friendly and helpful.
WiFi was free and of good quality,
There are several barbecues available for guest usage, as well as tables and chairs outside.
The University area is close by car, as is the airport and Old Town., Glendale is a bit of a drive, but the highways are very good and easy to navigate from the Quality Suites,
There is a 24-hour quick mart right beside the property.

I would stay there again.

Room Tip: All rooms face the courtyard pool and hot tub.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Dawn B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Oakland, CA, USA
Reviewed 1 November 2011

We were looking for low cost, and found the Quality Suites provided great value. but this experience was much better than expected. the room included a fridge, 2-burner cooktop, microwave and sink. the furnishings were a tad threadbare, but clean and completely adequate. Plenty of linens, towels and amenities, and a great location, with walkable restaurants and services, as well as easy freeway access.

Even better -- i forgot my electric tooth brush. Called the next day and Misty told me she would call back. she did -- the toothbrush was found, and they are sending it home. thanks!!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank CyberEdge
Southcentral Alaska
Reviewed 30 October 2011

This was the ideal hotel for our first night upon arriving in Phoenix. I was easily able to navigate to the location from printed Google Maps directions. Check-in was painless, the clerk was competent with a helpful attitude. The rooms were definitely quieter than most others with the same layout. I was pleasantly surprised at the amenities available for free that it seems many hotels in the region either do not include in the basic room package, or now charge a fee for: sofa bed, mini fridge, hair dryer, Wi-Fi. Also, I've encountered similar properties that converted single rooms into two-room 'suites' to increase the nightly rate, but both rooms in our unit were larger than average. Lighting would have been insufficient for a long-term stay. The property was obviously older, with refurbishments piece-mealed together throughout the years. For example, the bedroom had quite old windows, walls with large swaths of scraped/missing paint, and an old tube TV- but none of these are a real inconvenience, and the bathroom was nicely modernized. It was nice to be able to walk half a block to Dunkin Donuts for breakfast! If I weren't on vacation, I would have utilized their exercise room- a quick survey found nice, well-maintained equipment. Next time I'm travelling on a budget to Phoenix, I think I'll return to this establishment for my first night's stay.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 October 2011

It is an older place, but very clean & convenient. The price for a suite is almost a steal. The front desk clerk checking us in was super friendly & helpful. Location is pretty central; on the border of Tempe & Scottsdale & not far from the freeway where it's short drive to the airport & downtown Phoenix. The only caveat was that (we had a poolside room) we could hear people playing/swimming in the pool or just sitting outside talking. This may be drowned out if you use the AC units (we didn't turn it on during our stay so not sure if that helps or not).

• Stayed October 2011
Haiku, Hawaii
Reviewed 29 July 2011

The Suite was nice and the staff were exceptionally welcoming to me and my dog. Any changes were made rapidly (e.g. Coffee pot didn't work). Internet was fast and WiFi was ok depending on where you were in the suite. Overall, I felt safe and welcomed.

• Stayed July 2011
Corvallis, Oregon
Reviewed 6 July 2011

This is a very nice hotel with an excellent staff, large rooms, and good pool area.

Room Tip: Second floor
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Tucson
Reviewed 3 July 2011

If you can accept the fact that this is an older hotel, you can have an enjoyable stay here at a great price. The rooms are actually full suites, with a front room, bedroom, bathroom, and walk-in closet. There is a full kitchen area, with sink, cooktop, refrigerator/freezer, microwave - even a dishwasher and garbage disposal! There are 2 separate air-conditioning units - one in the front room and one in the bedroom. Many things have been upgraded... the bathtubs have granite surrounds, and the bathroom sinks are new, with granite countertops. The pool and hot tub appear brand new. There are outdoor park-like sitting areas with Bar-B-Q grills. The staff is very friendly and accomodating to us and our cat when we come here to get away for the weekend. There are a few downsides... there are no elevators, and breakfast is not included; however, there is a large convenience store next door, and you can ask for a room on the first floor if you can't climb stairs. The location is convenient, and this is one of the best hotel values in the Phoenix area when you consider what you get for what you pay.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple