All reviews tennis courts big pool large river beautiful grounds junior suite pool bar typical costa rican breakfast standard room enjoyed our stay rice and beans sitting area great pool close to town a great place to relax air conditioner off the beaten path dominical area
Reviewed December 23, 2016 via mobile

My girlfriend and I stayed here for 5 nights, it is very rare for me to leave a bad review but this hotel is certainly worth a bad review. We were travelling light and decided to get some laundry done at the hotel. The cost was very high for one bag at over 50 dollars though we accepted this and gave the laundry bag over for the convenience of having it done in the hotel rather than walk into town. The hotel was a good walk into town. One of the shirts was damaged beyond repair - some white stains on the back. This was clearly from the laundry as it was fine going into the bag and worse still, it appeared to have been attempted to be covered up by being put at the bottom of the clean pile and folded differently to cover up the stains. When I discovered the damaged shirt a couple days later in the pile from the laundry just before I was about to pay the final bill. While checking the bill I explained to reception this was a 15 dollar shirt only, showed them the damage and they agreed this was now not wearable, I explained that I do not mind that it was damaged though I would like the value of the shirt to be taken of the 50 dollar laundry bill and the cost of cleaning it to be removed. They offered to take around one dollar of the laundry bill - the cost of washing that one shirt. Explaining this was not acceptable they then said that I actually must have damaged the shirt in a different machine after using their machine (made no sense) and then framed them and that I was not being honest. I found the fact I was being accused very offensive. I explained I had pictures of me in the shirt before the laundry and this was the only laundry I did all holiday and I didn't have access to another laundry machine. Not knowing my character aside, the facts were that if I was paying over 800 dollars for a hotel and over 50 for laundry to be done, I wouldn't go to the effort to find a machine to make the hotel laundry service look bad to get a new shirt paid for, it just seemed illogical. If I wanted to make 15 dollars I would have done my laundry in town and saved 25 dollars and kept my shirt not hatch a crazy time consuming plan which required sacrificing a shirt. They could see from the bill that I certainly wasn't worrying about my pennies seeing as I had been spending quite a bit on food and drink when there is cheaper options in town. I wouldn't go about ripping of a hotel for 15 dollars. Also I only asked for the value of the shirt (which was a cheap one) and the cost of cleaning the damaged shirt to be taken of the laundry bill though I was happy to pay the bulk of it. After a lot of back and forth 10 dollars was taken off the bill after half an hour and I paid being tired of the aggressive stance from the hotel staff and wanting to enjoy my holiday. This baseless accusation certainly left a sour feeling and also damaged property and refusal to fully refund was not ideal. Funnily while paying the bill I noticed a 30 dollar dinner recently eaten missing of the bill and got this added on as it was not sent to the reception from the restaurant yet (not something as dishonest man would do). Other than that the hotel was dated, the beds very uncomfortable with small pillows put in large pillow cases and despite a great spa offering treatments for 25 dollars in town this hotel offered them for 60 dollars. We missed the included breakfasts after the first couple of tries as it was not very nice at all, having just the fruit and coffee from then on. After the laundry experience and cut corners in the hotel I got the impression that the focus was money making not customer satisfaction. There are so many amazing places in Costa Rica this is not the hotel to choose.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
4  Thank U5899VBsimonm
MEsquivel, Manager at Villas Rio Mar, responded to this reviewResponded December 24, 2016

Dear Simon
Thank you so much for take your time and write this comment. We really appreciated it.
We are not agree in how you expressed about some situations, because what happen not was exactly what you said. But in other hand, most of the time when some guest want another kind of breakfast and they tell us,we try to give what they want; always trying to satisfy. And about the pillows we are going to adjust the sizes.
Many thanks for coming!
Merry Christmas and Happy New year!

Reviewed December 23, 2016 via mobile

I went with my husband and son for vacation
The room are great and the landscape is so beautiful, the gym is outside in front a lot of birds
This place is located in front a green and amazing river
The service is excellent
Food is good also

Date of stay: December 2016

Many thanks for your comment. We really appreciated it. It is great for us to know that you like our hotel and also that you could enjoyed your days.
Merry Christmas!

Reviewed December 14, 2016

Dominical is a 3 street town next to the beach where you'll find a lot of surfers because of the mid size waves. Hotel facilities are pretty good, with a mid size pool and lots of gardens.
We booked this hotel for a relaxing weekend, unfortunatelly on friday arrived a large group (50+ people) which took all of the pool area and it wasn't as relaxing as we thought.
Rooms are really basic but you won't need more.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
MEsquivel, Manager at Villas Rio Mar, responded to this reviewResponded December 15, 2016

Thank you for your nice comment. Excuse us, but we received this group more early than we expect. Please accept our apologize. And many thanks for visit us.

Reviewed December 6, 2016 via mobile

we would stay here again in a heartbeat! beautiful place, great food, nice staff, lots of wildlife! toucans were on the property every day we were there:) there was another couple traveling with us-we all really enjoyed the villas

Date of stay: October 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
MEsquivel, Manager at Villas Rio Mar, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2016

Thank you very much for your beautiful comment and for take your time for comment us, we really appreciated it.We are very happy that you liked our paradise.

Reviewed November 30, 2016

My stay here was amazing! what struck me most was the garden and setting of the hotel. its spacious, colourful, GREEN and basically full of life! I've seen tuns of toucans, iguanas and all types of other birds during my stay! The property has a huge variety of vegetation, no wonder animals like it here!I n addition the walk to the beach is breathtaking! along the big Domincal river. all in all beautiful, had a great time!

Date of stay: October 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank Justin N
MEsquivel, Manager at Villas Rio Mar, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2016

Many thanks for you beautiful comment, we are really happy that you could enjoyed your stay in our paradise.
Thank you so much!