My family of 4 had 6 memorable days and nights at La Paloma. We stayed in a stunning Sunset lodge with breathtaking views of the ocean and Cano Island.
The staff was warm and helpful, discussing each day what our following day's activities would be, should we want to venture off, and assisting us in every possible way. The Waterfall Swim and Hike at Corcovado Park was a highlight, as well as the Night Hike Bug Lady tour and the Canopy Tour. All were easily done by both boys, and healthy energetic adults were able to keep up on the hikes as well. Our Keen water-sandals proved invaluable on most tours, as you almost always splash through a small stream to get to wherever you're going - watch out for slippery rocks and crocodiles! My husband and I also enjoyed massages on the patio with the soothing ocean and forest sounds, and our boys loved the small but deep pool for a couple of hours each day while we relaxed after a fun morning of kayaking (3 min walk to dock), playing in the ocean (6 min walk to beautiful beach) or zip-lining (2 hours of tree-top fun just 30 minutes ride away). We had fun horseback riding and snorkeling, too.
We were a bit nervous about the family style dining, as we didn't want to disturb others with our sometimes energetic boys, but they were so exhausted after all the fun and fresh air they just sat and visited and ate, ate, ate! Food was usually a choice between 2 or 3 fresh dishes and you are served 3 full meals a day, plus afternoon snacks if you are peckish. Staff wait along the pathways with flashlights after the evening meal to ensure you find your way safely back to your lodge.
Our boys (9 & 12) slept on the main level of our lodge and we slept upstairs, both floors boasting the amazing view through sliding windows that could be opened so you feel you are part of the surrounding rainforest. Monkeys would swing by in the mornings to then rest on the tree outside our window. The outside feel of the shower was very cool - took one time for me to get used to, and now I miss it.
I can not speak highly enough of La Paloma Lodge and it's wonderful staff. (Sue chatted with us and assisted us for 2 days, taking our shoes to the drying room, getting us fresh sarongs, making bookings, etc, before I realized she was the owner!) I had a million email questions before and after booking, and all were answered promptly and enthusiastically.
Till we meet again, La Paloma - buenos noches!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We have outstanding views of Drake Bay and the Pacific Ocean from our Lodge. Our standard rooms are large and include a private bath and an ocean view balcony. Our ranchos are one and two-story private cabins that also offer balconies with stunning ocean views. They hold up to 6 people and are very spacious. Some are equipped with a bathroom on both the upper and lower level, and are suitable for families or two couples traveling together. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Evoline ltd so you can book your La Paloma Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Paloma Hotel Drake Bay
- La Paloma Drake Bay
- La Paloma Lodge Costa Rica/Drake Bay