All reviewsmangrove toursunset ranchocorcovado national parkcosta ricaother guestsprivate tablefishnight hiketwo storysan joseopen airscarlet macawsboogie boardsthe riverfamily stylea short boat ridesnorkeling trip
Reviewed January 10, 2008

What a great find! I feel a little guilty it was not our first choice but now I fell lucky the first property was booked. I wish people wouldn't complain about bugs as if this property were somehow lacking in amenities or housekeeping. The insects aren't necessarily the biting kind, they're just flying around everywhere. This is life in the rainforest. You will be damp, muddy, and slightly smelly just about the entire time you are here. Bring multiple bathing suits and quick-drying performance clothing and socks. Tevas are a must.

The service is top-notch and the food is excellent. We never wanted for anything. The only thing I didn't enjoy was my massage, but I've had many of those in my life and you can't win every time. We saw tons of animals and the lanscape is stunning. Our very handsome guide to Corcovado and Cano was a bonus too!

Go to La Paloma Lodge. Go by yourself, bring your spouse, bring your kids. Everyone will enjoy it.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank getsaround
Reviewed January 2, 2008

The setting of La Paloma Lodge is idyllic as you are in a comfortable casita overlooking the Pacific Ocean with the beautiful flora and fauna of the Corcovado Rainforest at your footsteps. We woke to the sound and sights of beautiful Macaws and monkeys in the trees out our balcony. The food at La Paloma is superb...healthy, proportionate and delicious. The service and staff are friendly and helpful. The tours and guides are thorough, knowledgeable, and endless in possibilities. We loved our visit to the Osa Penninsula and especially loved the La Paloma Lodge.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank Familytravelmaven
Reviewed October 23, 2007

You are really in the Rainforest now. Staying here is quite an experience. In a sense, you are really isolated from the rest of the world, as are all the lodges in and near Corcovado. This is not a bad thing, it is a wonderful thing. What an escape. This is not a place where you can take off on your own and explore.

We were lucky to get the last remaining cottage/hut - the very last one, nearest to the hike down to the beach. Probably not as nice as some of the others. It was not as nice as the website, and I was disappointed at first. The huts are built so that the roof and the walls do not connect, there is an openning. At night, you need to keep the lights off so that insects do not crawl into the room. I kept imagining snakes and deadly insects crawling in at night while we slept. DO bring insect repellent.

The food is excellent, the dining, meeting area was very warm and inviting. The service and employees are top notch. We enjoyed the cocktail hour every night before dinner where we met other guests. The small beach alcove was the best beach we had seen on Costa Rica - very rustic and natural, loaded with land crabs and hermit crabs. The surf was ruff enough for body surfing and pleasing preteenage boys.

We took the trip to the far end of Corcovado early in the am. Did not see much - got a glimpse of a jaguar. That was about it.
Did not see much on the shorter trip either.

Do not use the laundry service while here. It is expensive and everything comes back smelling as bad as it was when you sent it. Nothing dries either, socks, bathing suits, etc - remain wet the whole time you are there.

Honestly, we did enjoy our stay very much and did not want to leave. Would we return? I am not sure.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled with family
Reviewed September 17, 2007

I must confess that I waited almost a year to write this review because I wanted LaPaloma all to myself. This was the best trip I’ve ever taken, including my other 3 trips to Costa Rica. This place is a tropical dream.

One thing that made our time at LaPaloma great was that we were with three families of four. This way, there was always someone to spend time with, whether relaxing or seeking adventure. Also, we were able to meet other guests in the living areas before mealtime but our group took an entire table for dining and sharing our experiences.

The food and drinks were absolutely fabulous! Everything from the seafood, to vegetables to bread and desert was completely fresh, local, clean and delicious. The ratio of staff to guests was almost 1 to 1 so that we were never in want of anything.

Our two story Rancho was perfect. Our children slept downstairs while my wife and I had privacy upstairs. Lying in bed at night I didn’t want to fall asleep because the view of moonlight shimmering on the ocean and tropical sounds were so magical. We kept the lights off at night so that we never needed the mosquito net even with all our windows open. The soothing ocean breezes lulled us into deep relaxing sleep.

The adventurers in our group had a blast scuba diving off Cano Island with sharks and tracking a Jaguar through the jungle with a guide. For those wanting relaxation, naps in the hammock overlooking the Pacific, in-room massages, and lying under coconut palms on the beach washed all cares away.

We wanted for nothing. We were so well attended in this fantasy setting overlooking the deep blue sea thru lush tropical vegetation that my 6 year old son cried as we had to walk away for the trip via boat-van-puddle hopper plane back to San Jose.

The final miracle by our hostess was over the top. Our commuter plane was delayed by a mishap on the jungle landing strip which threatened to cause us to miss our flights home. The owner of LaPaloma got on the phone and pulled strings as only the president of Costa Rica could accomplish and kept us informed all the while. She had our little plane land in an “off limits” area, our bags brought in by one van, while another van whisked us from the plane to the front door of the international airport. We all made our flights. One lucky couple on our commuter flight thought we must be celebrities.

Our time at LaPaloma was a tropical dream that we didn’t want to end. We are so grateful.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed September 10, 2007

I dont want you to stay at La Paloma! As a matter of fact I am not sure why I am writing this review, because if you read this you will likely go to La Paloma, and you will tell your friends, and the next time that I go to La Paloma the secret will have been discovered. Our stay at La Paloma was in June of 2006, and my wife and I had an amazing time. From the moment that we were met in Sierpe the staff was helpful, friendly, accomodating, and interested in our opinions. It was as if a magnificent property was being run by friends. Set amongst the ranchos, and cabinas were a perfect way to enjoy the rainforest, while maintaining the feeling of being at a high end resort. Looking out from our balcony were were treated to frequent visits by macaws, and white faced monkeys, sloths, and hummingbirds. The food at La Paloma was great. Meals were prepared with fresh ingredients--some grown right on the property itself. Another plus for Paloma is its acknowledgment of surroundings. I believe La Paloma was eco-friendly before the phrase "eco friendly" was even coined. Consistent with everything from towel usage to reusable water bottles helps lessen impact on the amazing surroundings--and you are surrounding by jungle. One morning at breakfast we got up close to a boa constrictor, saw a tucan perch in front of the lodge, and were spooked by howler monkeys, and this was before we were going to the parque nacional. Thank you to Nancy, Nicole, Laura, Eric, Randel, and Captain Fred, who was honest about what we were likely to catch--and catch we did...
I shall return!!

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank babysnapper