“Classic hotel run with great commitment”
Review of La Posada Hotel

La Posada Hotel
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Winslow
Reviewed 4 April 2012

This place gets better every time i stay due to constant improvements. It's like staying in a museum. Guided tour recommended. Reserve for Dinner

• Stayed: April 2012

Reviewed 4 April 2012

I kind of hate to rave about this place because it's getting very popular. On the other hand, it would be selfish to keep it to myself. I have stayed in hotels the world over, and this is in my top three favorites. You would never guess a hotel this fabulous would be hidden in Winslow, Arizona.
Once upon a time La Posada was a place to stay when traveling on the train from Chicago to L.A. It was designed by a famous architect, Mary Colter. She 'pretended' it belonged to a Spanish nobleman and it does feel like an enormous elegant hacienda. No hotel anywhere has more atmosphere than you'll find here. Each room is a little different than the others; with Spanish tile and beds with wooden headboards. The property was destined for possible demolition when it was rescued by its energetic new owners and has been restored to its former grandeur. It is a very romantic place and a great value. (Regular rooms are $99-109). Eating in 'The Turquoise Room' chef-owned dining room is an experience! (Reserve early; it gets booked up for dinner quite far in advance).
I have stayed here three times now and still love it. Trains go by 'out back' several times an hour; but even though we had a room facing the tracks, with the windows closed we didn't hear them. You can still ride Amtrak and get off here and spend the night.
La Posada makes a good base for exploring Homolovi (with its ruins and pottery shards lying everywhere...don't touch them; respect the ancient hands that made them and leave them in place); and the Painted Desert and Petrified Forest.
The hotel has plans to plant a vineyard in the near future and is restoring the garage across the street that once held touring cars that took guests into 'Indian Lands'.
Everyone should stay here at least once. You'll be back!

Room Tip: You can ask for a room away from the train tracks (although I am a light sleeper and our room near t...
Reviewed 4 April 2012

What an amazing hotel! One of my all time favourite places to stay. It has everything: History, Great Restaurant, Beautiful Décor (full of great art). Any hotel with a walking-tour pamphlet is usually a good bet. I only wish we had stayed longer and used it as a base to explore.

Reviewed 3 April 2012

Driving up at 9pm, the area seemed a bit seedy and it appeared doubtful we were going to be thrilled, but thankfully that was absolutely wrong! By day or night, this place is an amazing jewel.....all that history was awesome. We stayed in Room 122 which I highly recommend, as it had a lovely tiled bathroom with jacuzzi tub, a King bed, a queen sofa bed and an entrance to the hall and to the courtyard, also far from the train tracks, although I don't think I heard a train from inside the whole 2 days. Felt like we were in a friend's upscale guest suite in their house instead of a hotel. The whole place was so fun to pad around and explore. Breakfast in the Turquoise room was delicious and dinner was pretty good. The highlight was probably the acoustic guitarist singing one evening in the foyer......we just sat in one of the many vignettes and listened on our way back from dinner. Kids loved the board games and piano in the ballroom. Wish we'd arrived by train, just to make the history feeling complete. Front desk group was plenty friendly and helpful and the gift shop area has some amazing deals.....especially those beautiful tiled mirrors with metal working.

Room Tip: Loved rooms on first floor on East wing, ie 122.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 April 2012

We stayed here for one night on our honeymoon and loved this beautiful hotel. Beautiful rooms for the price, spacious and nicely decorated, the food from the restaurant is top quality, we loved every bite. The train track was nice, and hearing the trains going by. The town however was quite poor and a bit sad.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 March 2012

We didn't plan it. We just discovered it. And then we learned about it. What a fantastic piece of Americana that I would go back to. Nice people, really neat gift shop for my wife's addiction, but truthfully I appreciated the quality, also. We enjoyed a satisfying meal and found our room's unique character worthy of the celebrity name adorning the plaque outside the door. Was it Bogart..? Not sure I remember because I had to go check them all out once I realized the theme. The walls of that place are so thick I can understand why it would be a comfortable place to stay no matter what time of year. We watched a few trains and got our kicks!

Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank Craig M
Reviewed 31 March 2012

I returned to La Posada again with wife in tow. BNSF traffic was a bit slow for two mornings, but otherwise I had a great time watching the railroad activities while my wife read her novels. Weather was unusually warm for March. Food excellent as always. Work is starting on converting the old station into a museum. Amtrak passengers will be using the hotel lobby for a waiting room.

Room Tip: Five star food. Four star train watching. Three star hotel amenities (no bellman, no phones in ro...