“LaPosada may leave you in a state of confusion”
Review of La Posada Hotel

La Posada Hotel
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Winslow
Reviewed 16 September 2009

Not often, but every once in a while, you have a hotel or restaurant experience that leaves you confused about how you feel about your experience. This is the case with our recent stay at La Posada in Winslow, Arizona.
We were on a drive from California to Oklahoma to visit family, and planned to return via Colorado (Route 70). On the way out we wanted to take a little time and explore Route 66. I grew up within 60 yeards of the mother road and have always felt a special affinity for it and it's place in history. Any 66 buff will tell you that Winslow plays a role in the history of the highway so as I lay out the route and timing I thought of checking hotels there. To my suprise, up popped information about LaPosada. It seemed ideal. I wanted my wife to enjoy this trip as much as I planned to. The more I read about the re-birth of this historical railroad hotel the more I became convinced. We booked it and added it to our list of highly anticipated experiences. We were not disappointed in our expectations which were mostly focused on the history and fabulous decorating the current owners had done. They have filled the hotel with art, mostly from the region, and there is a well thought out designer's touch in every room. However, what we had not expected to have disappointment with service. It starts with the arrival. The main entrance is not well lit or marked and we arrived after dark. It took a few minutes to find our way. At the desk we learned there was no help with the baggage and that we would have to transport it from the cobblestoned parling area to our room.

When we finally got to the room we found it wasn't very clean. First of all there was a long hair in the bathroom sink. There was no complimentary drinking water and the water from the tap was, for previously stated reasons, unappetizing. In addition we found the furniture Complimentary supplies (soap, shampoo, etc. was really third rate cheap or non existant. The room itself, howeverwas nicely decorated and cosistent with the rest of the hotel which was gorgeous. After dropping our bags we strolled over to the main lobby area and took a seat in the bar. It took us a long time to figure out that we had to approach the bar to get a drink. The bartender was a pleasant older woman that seemed to need an assist but one was not available. We snagged a couple of martinis and waited for our seating in the dining room. The service in the dining room was quite good actually with a helpful waiter. Furthermore, it wasn't too very long to get served. At this point it all fell apart. I had selected a classic provencial dish: Cassoulet, and in this instance it was served with a chicken drumstick The beans used were not the traditional haricut and the substituted kidney beans were incredibly salty. Instead of french sausage there was a single link of what I thought was breakfast sausage. There was also roasted pigeon, and for added punch a thick roasted venizon shank. All of the meats were inferior in my opinion but worse, it had all been overcooked. Hardly in a position to help the heavily salted beans. We skipped dessert and left as soon as possible. Then came one of the surprises of the evening. Upon exiting the dining room after having left more than half our food on the plates out of lost desire, the surprise came when stepping into the main foyer, There we found a young man playing classical guitar for the guests and giving a recital worthy of Julian Bream. Most impressive was his original compositions we suspect designed with some influence by Tortelli, We sat and listened for quite a while. His music soothed my anger from the botched dinner. The guitarist's name is Khent K. Anantakai. He is a Navajo with a penchant for classical music. He is definitelly accomplished enough to record which I hope to someday hear about. After the exquisite and impromptu recital, we repared to our bedroom to get some sleep. The room was comfortable, and so were the beds, but the covers are those old fashioned breadspread that are likely not to be very clean after a few guests have used it.
The next morning was a reversal of the check in procedure. i.e. haul your bags across cobble stone in a rickety cart provided by the hotel. We were happy to make our escape but memorys of how beautiful the hotel was and the fantastic guitar work of Khent has faded some of our discontent with the place. You might consider that this is a good hotel to take your wife (or girlfriend) to for a romantic hideout. The hotel itself is definitely a romantic venue. You might check first to see if Khent is playing his romantic Spanish guitar. Then., if you should decide to dine in the hotel be sure to get a reservation. Then select a simple dish that the chef can't foul up too easily and when he does there is no room for argument. We think the LaPosada offers good value as romantic cultured getaway but in environs that are spartain other then rooms full of magnificent art. (Be sure to take your own toiletries. LaPosada offers none. You may also want to bring some music and a player to your room. LaPosada's TV set up is very lean indeed. Finally, there are no telephones in the room. If you want pampering and spa, obsequious service, and you want everyone to remeber your name, you should go to the Springs or Vegas. But at LaPosada you will save considerably over those two alternatives, and you will score points with your better half.

One other point: LaPosada seems to hold pets in hig

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
4  Thank soisurfer
Write a ReviewReviews (1,916)

Reviewed 14 September 2009

My husband and I, both architects, sought out La Posada three years ago and were happy to find it was under restoration. We stopped back by recently to check on the progress of the restoration and were thrilled at the changes. The lovely gardens, the larger gift shop, the fine menu at the Turquoise Room all pleased us. After buying some marvelous vintage jewlry in the Gift Shop, we had lunch in the Turqousie Room. The Signature Soup is outstanding. My husband had the stuffed squash blossom quesadillas, and I had pork filled red tortillas. The meal was delicious, and first quality - Fred Harvey would be proud to know the guest are still given the finest cuisine.
Afterwards we walked the grounds, and settled into the comfortable wicker arm chairs on the back veranda. We quickly fell into that lovely state of light dozing and for 30 minutes nobody bothered us, even though we were just passing through. It was one of those lovely magical moments I will treasure. It was hard to leave but we promised ourselves to return again.
I must also comment on the kind staff, I was in the throes of a wicked head cold, and was trying very hard to limit my contact with everyone. Every single staff person I met was kind, sympathetic, and never shied away from dealing with my sneezing person.
Someday I hope to spend a night at La Posada, eat that Signature soup again, and doze away an afternoon on the back veranda.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KBSilverSpring
Reviewed 12 September 2009

In all of my 24 yrs of business travels LA Pasada ranks number one in my book,The restaurant food is superb especially the Prime RIb.The staff gave us excellent service every time we came.
But most of all my best moment at the La Pasada was meeting and having my first date
with one of the local ladies who I am now married to and reside in Louisiana.We look forward to our visits to the grandkids and staying at the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank cajuncooler
Reviewed 7 September 2009

I'm so glad I stayed at the La Posada. I arrived by Amtrak train just steps from the hotel. As I entered I heard the gentle, live, guitar notes of a minstral playing a Spanish classical guitar in the hotel lobby. A peaceful calm pervaded the inside and outside of the hotel. Even the speeding freight trains could not disturb the ambience. I was greeted by a sincerely friendly desk clerk who gave me a souvenir walking tour guide pamphlet to explore the hotel architecture and landscaping. The single room I had was perfect. Large with a window that opened on to the sunken gardens. My room was the Shirley Temple room and it was so spacious I felt like I was at someone's home, not a hotel. The walk-in closet had an iron & board. The bathroom was imaculate and yet preserved that wonderful old style of floor tile and space. I got excellent cell phone reception and slept with my window wide open to hear the sounds of the water fountain outside. The floor rugs were thick and soothing to my feet.

I would go back to enjoy the hotel, the ambience and the food any day. What a rest from the stress of everyday life in the big city. The owners have proven that the high quality of the past can blend in with today.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank AustinJordan
Reviewed 6 September 2009

Stayed both east- and west-bound through Winslow this year; architect and designer MEJ Colter would would proud to see her creation come back to life. The gardens continually improve, the food and wine at the Turquoise Room are superb, the room rates reasonable. It's a must for my trips across Northern Arizona.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank 4n6chemist
Reviewed 24 August 2009

I recently stayed at this hotel on the recommendation of a friend and also for the sentimental value of staying in a restored Harvey hotel. What a wonderful surprise! This is a lovingly restored hotel with beautiful art work, excellent food, peaceful gardens and a terrific gift shop of local crafts. I stayed in the Mary Coulter room (the original designer of the hotel) and it was quaint but up to date. It had a lovely balcony as well. They are currently restoring the other half of the hotel but there is no construction noise as it is at the other end of the property. This is still a train stop and would make a fun overnight if traveling by Amtrak. However the noise from the trains continues through the night so if you think that will bother you, request a room at the front end of the hotel. Unfortunately there really isn't anything else to do in this town but it is worth the stop!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank lwolff1
Reviewed 23 August 2009

My family and I stayed at the La Posada for one night on our way from Albuquerque to the Grand Canyon. The hotel is a wonderful piece of architecture that is being restored with care -- it's a magical destination. We had two rooms adjacent to the garden -- both were very quiet and comfortable. Loved the complimentary morning coffee station set up at the entrance to the garden. Didn't notice the trains on the adjacent tracks from our rooms, but went to the old front entrance that night to see the Amtrack train arrive. The kids loved it; it's part of the hotel's history and charm. Winslow itself is not much to write home about and we did not feel that the Turquoise Room Restaurant is on par with the hotel. Notwithstanding, the La Posada Hotel is well worth a visit.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family