“Disappointing”
Review of The Courthouse

The Courthouse
The Courthouse
Reviewed 10 October 2017 via mobile

Stayed at the Courthouse as it was in the town having stayed slightly out of towñ previously.
Room was a good size. Tea and coffee making facilities and plenty of storage. Sadly nothing else very positive about the room. Room was directly above the swing entry doors to the bar which banged everytime someone went through them. Handle on the window broken so difficult to open and close. Mattress very old and lumpy and springs noisy and uncomfortable. The bathroom is in need of attention, very little grout in floor tiles, some tiles cracked, black mould on the shower cubicle runners, difficulties closing shower cubicle doors. Hot water very hit and miss, one day there was no hot water at all and a plumber had to be called. Very tired decoration throughout.
Refurbished in 2009. In desperate need of another one.
Breakfast was very disappointing. No cereals, porridge, fruit or yoghurt available. Just cooked breakfast selection or toast and soda bread.
Staff were really lovely and the food generally in the bistro was nice.
Sadly everything else overshadowed the good service and nice evening meals.
Would have asked for a discount but was asked to pay in full on arrival.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 13 June 2017 via mobile

After coming to Ballyhaunis since i was a child and due to the family cottage being sold last year couldnt resist a visit back. We have been in vals many a time but this was our first stay. Enjoyed every minute we had a very spacious family room, rooms very clean good comfy beds very friendly staff especially martina who made us welcome throughout our week. Breakfast was 100% as always lovely meals too. Will definately be back next year! Thank you to all at vals for making our holiday special.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 June 2017

I stayed in The Courthouse last weekend. Myself and my wife were in Ireland for a wedding and needed a nice hotel, close to Knock, due to a late flight. After reading the previous reviews I decided to book The Courthouse. I have to say, we were not disappointed. We checked into the room and came straight down to the restaurant/pub for dinner. Now, we were not expecting to receive the standard of food we got served (no disrespect intended) but the food was well presented and absolutely delicious. We both got starters and mains and OMG, the food was as nice as I’ve tasted in a long time. The welcome and service we received throughout the stay was fantastic, warm and welcoming and nothing was too much effort. We were greeted by a lovely lady (Unfortunately I didn’t get her name, but believe she was the manager/owner) and I would have liked to have thanked her, but didn’t want to interrupt her, as she was very busy.
The room itself was fairly standard, but was very comfortable and had all the amenities you would require from a hotel/B&B.
The only issues we had was a broken toilet (wouldn’t flush) and we were too embarrassed to report it with a bar full of people. Some might also find it slightly noisy, but that didn’t disturb our sleep too much.
I will definitely be visiting again, even just to stop and have a bite to eat.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 July 2016

Stayed at this establishment not breakfast awful bacon that hard you would need a jack hammer to cut totally awful.
Rooms not much better shower door broken mould grown around shower tray towel with holes and filty with makeup from previous punter.
Emergency light in room with healthy light on all the time,corridors dark and with push timer switches all in all not what we expected for what we paid and will not be back.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 June 2016 via mobile

We stayed for one night. Upon checkin we were asked to pay upfront. We went up to our room. There was a damp, rotting smell that hit ypu as soon as you opened the door. We asked to change rooms and were moved to another room. No smell this time but a broken toilet and a wet bed. We were again moved and told that after this they had no other free rooms. The smell of smoke was unbelievable. Management offered us a can of airfreshener and claimed that they do not allow guests to smoke in the rooms but that there was very little they could do. (Perhaps they could put up signs, advise guests of their no smoking policy upon check in. It wouldn't be that difficult.) We had no option but to stay in the room. I will never return. One positive was the nice breakfast. Cooked to order and great service.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank econno
Reviewed 9 September 2015

Very clean & friendly guesthouse. We were made to feel very welcome by all of the staff and the rooms are very big. We had some changes to our booking and the manager could not have been more helpful and flexible. The bar and food are equally good and available throughout the day.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 January 2015

A few months later than I expected (reference to my last review), but I returned once again to the Courthouse in Ballyhaunis.

I returned to find nothing had changed, well they say: " never go back," but in this case I am glad I did, the only difference this time, was a greater welcome from Staff and Management. The food is still top quality fare and very keenly priced, service and attention to my needs were second to none, indeed I wanted for nothing, a different room this time and once again, warm, clean, nicely decorated and a spotless en-suite; I last visited Summer-time of 2104, this time middle of January 2015, I had the added bonus of seeing the open fireplace pumping out its heat into the Bar area, which was a real treat against the back-drop of Ice and Snow outside !.

As I shall be moving to Ireland and this area in particular shortly, I shall be frequenting Val's Bar and Bistro, which is attached to the Courthouse; I made so many new friends by simply staying at this wonderful establishment, - I would recommend this place to anyone without reservation, for Business or pleasure.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for "Trish" the Manageress if you have any special needs, wants, help or...