See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed July 24, 2011

My husband and I stayed here on our two month road trip through the USA and all I can say is thank-goodness because we had the most wonderful time here! From the very first moment we arrived it was the most amazing experience.

The cabins are great. Much more spacious than I expected; there is more than enough space for a family to stay there comfortably. They were clean, private and air conditioned, which is most needed in the summer as when we stayed it was VERY hot! There was also a fridge in the cabins which was a bonus.

I can't describe how well we were treated; it was more than just feeling like a paying guest, we felt like we were staying with friends. Will, the wrangler, looked after us and he was wonderful. I can't describe all he did for us. Always making sure we were happy with what we had planned and so accommodating in ensuring we did everything we wanted to.

The meals were great and all very well cooked. Everyday was a hot breaky, lunch and dinner they were extremely well priced. I highly recommend having the meal that Barbara and Darryl put on their own if you can! Best meal on our whole trip! Since everyone eats together in the meal shed its also a great opportunity to meet everyone.

On thing,make sure you check the prices before you do any activities. Not everything is included in the accommodation rate so its better to be careful and find out first. We always did and so we had no surprises at the end but its worth asking and knowing.

All in all it was the best time we had and I wish we had something like this in my country, because if we did, I'd be spending every holiday there!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KaFr
Reviewed November 27, 2010

I was looking for a short weekend getaway for our family of four with two girls ages 7 and 10 when I stumbled into their website. I love the great outdoors and the thought of spending the weekend at a working dude ranch pique my interest. I was concerned when I couldn't find a review on it; however, their Fall Weekend Getaway package was too good of a value to pass up. My other concern was that, we, city slickers would be bored and that we wouldn't have enough things to do to keep us busy.

The ranch is located in a small town in south central Arkansas. We arrived in the afternoon and immediately upon arrival, we were greeted by Will, the wrangler. My first thought was "WOW" This is what I call great service. While I went to check in, Will and another wrangler helped my husband unload our luggage. Included with our package was a horse ride. The horses were saddled and they were ready for us as soon as we were ready. My daughters had never been on horses before and the staff was very patience with my shy little girl. They took their time teaching her and made sure that she was ready before allowing her on the trail. We rode the horses 3 times during our stay. Before each ride, the staff reviewed instructions with my girls and practiced in the arena until they were comfortable with their abilities to handle the horses before allowing them to ride on the trails.

We stayed in the Annie Oakley cabin. It was clean, cozy, quaint and rustic. The beds were comfortable. There was no TV but our girls didn't even noticed that there wasn't one. Not once during our two days stay, did they ask about it nor did they play with their DSs. There were plenty of activities to keep them busy and there was always a wrangler nearby to keep them safe and entertained while the adults relaxed.

The food was fresh, down home southern style and served like clockwork. During the Saturday night Fish Fry, we were also entertained by the Bar-J Band while we ate. What a treat! The other night, we had dinner by candle light savoring their ranch raised Angus steak with all the fixings. I have never had homemade butter and it was out of this world. The food is simply delicious!

Overall, our experience at Bar-J Ranch was phenomenal! If you want to experience southern hospitality then this is the place to be. All my concerns were pushed aside and we had the one of the most relaxing and fun time ever !!!! The ranch greatest asset is their staff. Everyone is so gracious, helpful, courteous and friendly. Don't let the lack of reviews deter you. You won't regret it.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family