Hotels.com
eDreams
Vio.com
Destinia.com
Etrip
All reviews northern lights modern hotel wake up call happy hour waffles lake myvatn area breakfast buffet waffle maker baked beans nice bar two nights nice view beds were comfortable salmon hotel restaurant bread window
Selected filters
Reviewed September 7, 2016

Came in April, was an absolute delight. I returned due to good experience but in August was a completely different experience. Reception lady, Agnes, extremely rude and dismissive. Seemed like most of the staff were bored of tourists and wished the season would be over. For £200 a night in a basic, bare-amenities room you would normally pay less than half that money for, I expect to feel welcome and I expect you to add value that you completely lacked in the room itself. You did not deliver anything near that.

Buffet dinner was absolutely unreal in April, but overcooked and tasteless in August. For £50 a person I would have hoped for more. The "chef" awkwardly standing by the meat, when I inquired as to what it was I was told "It is self service, take what you want"

In April I was told by a different chef all about the lamb, that it was local, organic, and how he slow cooked it himself for hours. What a difference. That is what I expect. That is adding value. I must mention however that on both occasions the waitresses have always been polite.

Upon departure/check out the Agnes was again on the front desk. IF she had done her job and asked if I had enjoyed my stay, I would have been able to express all of this feedback to her. But no, instead I was given a curt goodbye. No inquiry as to my satisfaction. No interest in my experience. I would avoid this hotel. There are far better options locally. Do not pay in excess of £200/$300 a night to feel as regretful as I do that I ever set foot in this place. I had a tent with me and to be honest I'd have been happier in the rain!

• Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank James M
Reviewed August 28, 2016

The hotel is newly built and claims to be a luxury hotel (with the corresponding price level) but in reality is closer to a youth hostel in terms of maintenance and service.

We stayed here 2 nights and were looking forward to the stay because the hotel was announced a sluxury hotel.

The location is great and the hotel is located very close to the key attractions on lake Myvatn.

However the hotel is cheaply built and since the recent opening maintenance has been neglected (e.g. in cleaning the showers)

Also the service is below par for the price level and it seems to be standard practice to treat guests a bit arrogantly - partially this might also be due to the lack of experience and youthfullness of the staff.

Date of stay: July 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Schiffi
Reviewed August 27, 2016 via mobile

The Laxa Hotel is a stunning modernist hotel near Lake Myvatn. The signposting was not clear so we used map coordinates to locate it, and at first I was confused because the hotel looked like a factory or military installation- all 90 degree angles and blocks covered in timber weather cladding! The wings of the hotel are covered in living turf and the views from the rooms were spectacular- you could see for miles without obstructions. The rooms were beautifully designed with right angles wherever you looked. The breakfast buffet was amazing, with a full cooked offering as well as the usual sliced ham and cheese- there was even a double griddle with pancake mixture which produced excellent waffles which had maple syrup nearby for adding that little extra.
I am a big fan of pre 1914 architecture and don't really like le Corbusier inspired buildings, but the Laxa really made me reassess my preferences. As you descend the stairs from the lobby there are perfectly designed cushions along the corridors which soften the hard angles- every aspect of the hotel was designed so thoughtfully and harmoniously.
There are great walks to the lake and surrounding moors, and the view in the morning as clouds rolled gently away is one I will never forget- think Howl's Moving Castle meets Bauhaus in a strange dream!

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed August 23, 2016

The staff was very friendly and provided maps and suggestions of things to do as well as good restaurants in the region.. The rooms were spacious and nice. Good location on Lake Myvatn on the southern boundary to the lake. The breakfast was nice and included. The building had a somewhat strange design. Very modern style and has rooms with great view of the lake.

Room tip: Ask for room with view of the lake
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed August 20, 2016

amazing, wonderful, Lake awaits your awakening
the rooms are clean and very beautiful, not more extensive but it is not necessary.
The breakfast is varied, staff friendly and responds to every need, very professional
free wifi, Hotel is in a good location.if you own electronic devices with a plug type L (Italian) 10 A, always bring an adapter.

• Trip type: Travelled solo