See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed August 21, 2014

This hotel was adequate and reasonably comfortable. The front desk clerk was very nice. The breakfast buffet closed at 9:00 am so we late sleepers had to rush a bit. Breakfast was OK but nothing special.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed October 11, 2013

This hotel is very basic and a bit shabby. That said, you must remember where you are and that your money does not go very far in Iceland! The two things to make note of: 1. My room did not have a hair dryer, you must borrow one from the front desk. 2. My room had absolutely NO TOILETRIES. This was not a problem as I always bring shampoo and conditioner on every trip I take. But for those counting on shampoo, forget it! Also, BRING TONS OF HAIR CONDITIONER as the water is super hard and full of minerals...I had read this before I left and brought double the conditioner I usually bring--and that was not enough! Bring TRIPLE! And leave it on a long time! (The Blue Lagoon totally trashed my hair--could not get a brush through it!)

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed August 17, 2013

In addition to other reviewers regarding the rooms, I’ll add this;
- No outlets to plug in your own devices
- No remote control (TV set from the 70’s)
- No table or side tables
- No full size mirror
And for this luxury you pay app $200

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I stayed at this hotel only for one night and the best thing was the free and fast wifi. The rest of the hotel, i would rate with "acceptable".
The whole hotel is quite shabby and as many hotels in iceland it serves as a boarding school in the off-season. Thus, the restaurant is more likely a mess hall. The rooms including the bathroom are quite small and the walls are very noise-transparent. Another annoying detail is that the drain has no sieve so whatever small part (e.g. a ring) falls in the sink, is lost forever (there's no waste trap either).
On the bright side, there's the good quality of the served food and (as mentioned before) the free wifi. In sum, i can only recommend this hotel for a short stay between moving up/down to the north and the east.

Room Tip: I would recommend room 207 since you'll have the wifi access in your room and your window is above the ground.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We stayed here for one night (a public holiday) on a road trip around Iceland in May, when some hotels were closed and others were very expensive. The Hotel Egilsstadir met our needs at a reasonable price although it was fairly sterile. We arrived in town without a hotel booked and there were very few people staying at the hotel. The big petrol station in town does excellent Reindeer burgers.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple