“Tried it again, despite all..” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Roganstown Hotel and Country Club

Roganstown Hotel and Country Club
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Swords
Co.Dublin
“Tried it again, despite all..”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2012

In the past I considered Roganstown Golf and Country Club pretentious, overblown by it's own original undeserved reputation.

Over the years I had many a dreadful experience there. In the restaurant, at organised functions, weddings, fund raisers and in that time when I went on Thursdays to the bar, for the live music and a snack: until the menu changed from affordable bites, to pricier snacks, to dinners.

Why did I persist? I don't know: it's local and deserved patronage, especially as when I complained I did get call backs to discuss my experience.

Now I think management has seen the light and are starting to provide good food, at a reasonable price, in the lounge. The restaurant is still a step to far, for me yet.

Last Saturday my Grandson rated the burger as in fourth place, after The Nuremore, Nanna's and Mamma's burgers: and that is praise indeed.

My scampi was enjoyable and Nanna's panini passed muster also.

The other diners seemed to be enjoying themselves as well, especially the man who commandeered the TV for the rugby, when two GAA league matches were also being broadcast live: brave man.

The black stuff went down a treat and since I was not driving, I lingered and had “a few”.

I will be back again soon. Everyone deserves a second chance.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Lazarian

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2012

Myself and my husband stayed in roganstown on Saturday night as a pre valentines night away.we arrives and were met by a really friendly receptionist who seemed genuinely interested in how we were doing and tge friendliness was very natural andwas not forced or rehearsed as we have experienced in other hotels.we were very kindly upgraded as we had our wedding in the hotel in 2010.we were delighted with this and felt it was a really nice touch.the room was spacious,clean well stocked with luxury toiletries-like a home away from home.we had booked dinner in mcloughlins restaurant which was very reasonably priced for three courses and food was delicious.our waitress was extremely friendly,attentive to our needs and relaxed which made our dining experience even more enjoyable-we recently had a baby so it's a long time since we had a relaxed dinner so this was exactly the kind of experience we had been looking for.we had a couple of drinks in the bar after dinner which again had a lovely athmosphere with a mix of hotel residents and locals.the large blazing fire added to the homely feel of the bar.once in bed you forgot you were in a hotel as there we couldn't hear any other residents coming and going,which we believe is so important.
We had a lovely experience in roganstown,and on previous occasions when we have dropped in fit Sunday lunch and when we got married there.the staff are so friendly,attentive and nothing is too much to ask of them.they seem to do everything in their power to make your visit enjoyable.I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2012
Swords, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2012

I must say I can only say from my own experience , everything went perfectly for my party , the food was delicious everyone agreed the venue great , I found the room very comfortable and cannot complain about the service. Staff were helpful and courteous to my guests, although I had heard to the contrary. Would recoment a stay there to any of my friends my sister and broyher in law loved their stay and most of my guests who stayed 2 nights were very happy. hope to stay another time.

Room Tip: you need to have a car as it is a little far from Swords
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Leicester
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2012

We stayed for two nights in January.

We were allowed in the rooms early, which was handy as we arrived about 10.00am and they arranged for a taxi to pick us up from the airport and take us to the hotel.

The rooms were ok. The Pool, sauna and steam room are nice. You have to wear a hair cap in the pool (£2) on health and safety grounds.

The Hotel is quite far from Swords, so it costs a lot in taxis to get anywhere.

We were attending my mothers party on the Saturday night and we were quite surprised when the grumpy barman called time and refused to carry on serving us drinks, there were about 30 paying customers that ended up sitting and chatting without drinks whilst he hoovered around us and switched off some of the lights.
Considering the time of the year and they were quite I felt SOME not all of the staff were rude and unhelpful.

When we paid our bill we asked could if the free bus that was promised to the airport could drop us of in Swords instead as it was about the same distance and was told that the bus only went to the airport and couldn't be driven anywhere else. I know that they didn't have to do this but we spent a lot of money over the two nights and as it was a large party (70 people) I felt that they could have helped us out instead for paying taxis £20 to take us into Swords.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Iain M
Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2012

my mother recently selected this hotel as the venue for her 70th birthday celebration. it certainly was not cheap! very picturesque venue. rooms were not particularly great, beds were average, phone for reception was unplugged and hidden away in the wardrobe. the staff, particularly the barman and female waitresses were very rude often ignoring calls for assistance. we were rushed out of the dining room immediately after the dessert, with many guests bringing their coffee out to the lounge. most guests, mainly family, stayed as they had travelled from overseas. Sunday morning staff were very nice and breakfast was good. it took th receptionist 1 hour to sort out the bill for rooms. completely mixed everything up and totally embarrassed people. we are locals to the area and would not step foot in the place again.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank ecarlin
FingalRaven, Owner at Roganstown Hotel and Country Club, responded to this review, 7 February 2012
Thank-you for your comments
I am sorry that we did not meet your personal expectations on the evening in question. It does seem you were in the minority as everybody else we spoke with had a fantastic evening. After an investigation, the reason it took so long (but not an hour!) to look after the bill was to correct the no-shows from your group. I am sorry for any inconvenience caused by this. We were not aware of anyone being embarrassed, in fact all the guests we spoke with had a pleasant evening and we have received a great deal of positive feedback from it.
I am sorry that you feel we rushed you out the restaurant after dessert. I find this difficult to understand as the music started playing after dessert – was this perhaps the reason for you to leave?
Perhaps the ‘phone’ you found in the wardrobe un-plugged was the hairdryer? The phone is located on the bedside table.
I note you are a local from your other (much shorter) reviews which were all compiled the same day – if you do decide to return to Roganstown, we would warmly welcome you back here and correct any errors you may have perceived.
dublin.ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2012

I went to a wedding at this hotel last weekend and stayed the night, the wedding went really well with the food been superb, and the waiting staff very friendly, The thing that really disapointed me was there was no rosé wine in the whole hotel not even in the Resturent. This is the only drink i can drink so had to drink water for the day. . I realy think this hotel should look into stocking a few different wines. The Room was ok nothing to write home about, the breakfast was just ok, service not as good as at the wedding. I had to go to another table and get cutlery as there was only 3 set out at our table of 4.There was no staff around to ask for anything. Its not all bad as the Reception staff were realy friendly and check in and out was fast and efficent.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review and we are glad that in the main everything went well with your stay although very disappointed that everything was not perfect whilst you were here.

I checked on the breakfast service and apparently you were seated by a member of staff and given the menu at which stage the staff member went to see to another guest whilst you looked at the menu and helped yourself to the continental buffet - she didn't notice the missing place setting. She came back and took your hot breakfast order order and because you had taken the place setting you were missing from an adjoining table she didn't realise that you were missing cutlery. So apologies for that and we have taken steps to try and avoid this in the future.

We have a new and extensive wine list but we don’t have a rose wine listed on it as it is rarely asked for. We do however have stock rose wine in our cellar and in the fridge. If you had asked a member of staff they should have been able to give you rose. Again apologies for this.
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

Stayed here last night for my 3rd time, As always never disappointed with the quality of the food and presentation was excellent. When checking in the staff on reception where very friendly as always. We had asked for a room overlooking the golf course and our request was granted no problem. Had dinner in the restaurant where the fire was lighting and gave a lovely country feel on a cold wet night. The only negative i could say is i prefered the old system for breakfast as breakfast was now a full buffet style although food was very hot and the staff again very pleasant. Had no problems with checking out bill was as expected. Will sat here again no problem.

Room Tip: ask for a golf course view
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your kind review and I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you again.

In terms of breakfast service - we normally prefer to cook breakfast to order but on days when we have a very busy hotel that type of service can add significant delays to our service and in those cases we use a hot buffet service. Scrambled eggs are part of the buffet although we still cook poached and fried eggs to order. Guests can also have other items cooked to order (e.g. porridge and other a la cartel dishes like eggs benedict)

In general all of our food is cooked to order from fresh produce and I agree that breakfast cooked to order is definitely much nicer but with 80- 100 people coming to breakfast (and after a heavy night most come together about 15 minutes before breakfast service is over) - we'd never get everyone served. I hope you understand.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Swords
5.6 km away
3.5 km away
Dublin Airport Manor
Dublin Airport Manor
#4 of 7 in Swords

Been to Roganstown Hotel and Country Club? Share your experiences!