All reviews golf course leisure centre steam room play golf spa treatments lovely hotel dublin airport bar food next morning last night pleasant stay comfortable rooms bar area close to the airport an overnight stay shuttle bus wedding
Reviewed December 30, 2010

My wife and I were part of the hundreds stranded in the chaos of Dublin Airport just before Christmas. We spent hours being wait listed for flights only to find them continuously cancelled, we were at a very low ebb. As it looked like we were stuck for the night we found the number for the Airport Clarion Hotel which is on the Airport grounds, the receptionist advised that they were full I asked did she have the numbers of any other Airport Hotel and she said dial 1800 directory inquires and put the phone down, this was indeed a very poor start. Long story short we eventually found a room, the last one they had ! , at the Roganstown Hotel and Country Club, a short distance from the airport. We agreed a rate and a lovely lady there told us to hang on and they would send transport to get us, the transfer was included in the rate which was great because Airport taxis at this point were as rare as hens teeth and when they did show up would not drive to a lot of places because of the road conditions. At this stage the airport was getting dangerously overcrowded, over the PA people were being asked to leave, however there were no taxis to be found, buses seemed to have stopped running, snow was piling up everywhere, people were freezing cold, and sitting where ever they could find floor space, it was a mad house. The girl at Roganstown said to stay in the terminal building until the shuttle arrived at the airport she said road conditions horrendous and she would call as soon as he was out side the door. This was great service and we were picked up after about 20 minutes and driven through a blizzard to a fabulously warm welcome at Roganstown. From the moment we arrived at the Hotel nothing was to much trouble for them, for instance I noticed that the public internet PC was busy ( every one trying to find alternative flights ) and they said no problem and let me into the back office to try and re book flights. I was offered warm drinks and any assistance I needed. We managed to find a flight leaving at 6.00am ( subsequently cancelled, but that’s another story ) the following morning and the staff arranged transport for us back to the terminal etc . ( again all included in the rate ) . Flights sorted we were then shown to a huge warm bedroom with a very generously proportioned bathroom, plenty of hot water and a big bath – bliss after over 18 hours standing around at check in desks.. Later that evening we had a light supper in the bar, I wanted comfort food after the stress of the day and had a huge bowel of very good warming soup and the most gorgeous spicy chickens wings. Service was superb and the staff seemed to know how to sooth stressed out travelers. Back to our room and what a joy it was to fall into what was a fabulously comfortable bed. All in all we arrived from Dublin Airport strung out, distressed, tired and cold, Roganstown fixed all that in very short order and gave us the kind of welcome and assistance that Irish hotels used to be remembered for. Thank you Roganstown and keep that candle burning.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank JoeWicklowIreland
FingalRaven, Owner at Roganstown Hotel and Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2011

It"s lovely to get nice compliments. We try very hard to give all of our guests a wonderful experience - it' a fantastic boost to us and our staff to get nice feedback. Thanks a million JoeWicklowIreland - we hope your travel plans worked out and look forward to taking care of you again in the future.
Regards
The Team at Roganstown

Reviewed December 25, 2010

After being stranded at Dublin airport for over 7 hours, I asked a friend from London to help me and two other stranded passengers find a local hotel. He called the Roganstown and got a quote of 76 Euros. He also spoke to the Hilton but their price was 100 Euros, so on that basis we booked the Roganstown. Seemed nice and had a spa.
After waiting about 1 1/2hrs in -8 degrees blowing snow, frozen, the shuttle appeared. Deep snow and not being able to pick everyone up at once and not willing to find any other transport for us.
At the hotel the girl behind the desk politely told me the room was now 109 euros! Then handed me a printout with my name on it with 76 euros clearly marked. She refused to accept the 76 euro rate!

She called the manager who would not come out to face us and just kept saying 109 euros and that all the hotels were putting up their rates due to the numbers of stranded passengers at the airport.

They knew we couldn't now go anywhere else.

Nasty stuff. Making money out of other peoples misery. People were crying at the airport, stranded, no money for anywhere to stay, flights cancelled with no one from Aer Lingus to help re-book flights, told to leave the airport. Nightmare.

Sad because the hotel rooms were lovely.

The jacuzzi wasn't hot and they turned off the steam room and turned off the lights while we were in there!!!

Then the food - disgusting - all microwaved accept the rib-eye steak.

I think the hotel manager should be fired. Shame on you making money out of people's misery.
Lorraine

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
4  Thank LozzaInLondon
FingalRaven, Owner at Roganstown Hotel and Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2010

A 4 star hotel with full leisure facilities - depending on availability our rate can range up to 147.50 per person sharing and we do not have a rate of 76 euros - ever!!
We certainly did not take advantage of anyone a rate 109 euros for the room including breakfast and with pick up and drop off to the airport - we were cheaper than most hotels in the area and for a double room 109 was very reasonable - the hotel was full.
Our shuttle service was running all day through the snow - it was taking a little longer than usual due to the horrendous weather but we picked up everyone and had no complaints.
Our chef doesn't have a microwave - everything in our kitchen is cooked to order from fresh and we have no recorded complaints about food.
The leisure facilities are open till about 21.45 every day the sauna and the steam room are on timers - they automaticlly switch off at 21.30 - apologies if you thought this was done to you on purpose.

Reviewed December 22, 2010

We were booked in with 12 other couples for a work xmas party night.

Where do I start?
1. Coming in the front door a different colour of paint had dripped down the sides making the front entrance a mess.
2. Smoking is illegal in hotel rooms here. Our room was stinking of smoke, so we asked to change room. The receptionist was lovely and we were given the honeymoon suite, because she said we would look after it.
We soon saw what she meant. Bedding had black marks on it. Tiles were broken in the bathroom. The towels and bath mats were frayed at the edges. The safe wouldn't work.
One of the heaters were broken, so we settled down to watch TV for an hour before function. We both ended up covered in bites !!!!!!
3. Our "Party Night" was a joke. The best part of the meal was the xmas pudding and the "Entertainment" was a man playing music. You couldn't call him a DJ he didn't say a word until goodnight !!!
4. Breakfast was awful. It was all set out buffet style including the cooked breakfast, which was barely cooked never mind warm !!!
5. Cracked window panes in the Swimming pool area
6. Apart from the 5 tables from our work, there was only 3 other tables, some of which were locals. Once in the residence lounge, they were loud and rude, despite attempts to be friendly. Had we not been in a good crowd, the whole thing would have been a damp squib. The tables didn't have crackers for everyone. They were cheap and nasty. Very dissappointing.

The staff were wonderfully helpful, except the night porter. I am dairy, wheat, gluten and caffeine free. I told the receptionist and both for the evening and breakfast this was catered for perfectly. All the areas I was in were perfectly clean - apart from our bed. I am so glad I wasn't a bride, I would have been so upset.

I feel sorry for the staff, they are doing their best. It looks to me like the place was fabulous when first opened and either management or budgets or both have let the place go downhill ever since. Such a shame, it is a great venue, a lovely old house being left to die without dignity.

• Stayed: December 2010
2  Thank EnigmaDublin
FingalRaven, Owner at Roganstown Hotel and Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2010

If the guest had such a terrible stay with us I think for all concerned it would have been better if they had asked to speak to either the owner or one of the managers. I would like to make some comments on this review – so at least you can see it from our side.

The front door comment - It wasn’t paint – we’ve had the coldest November/December on record. The old part of the house is a historically listed building and the plaster is very old. The minus 10 degree temperatures cracked the plaster quite badly around the door in the week of the 5th December and we had it repaired on the 10th – the new plaster is white and the facade is a cream colour – so there are marks – we cannot repaint until the snow is gone and the temperature gets back to normal – paint will not take in this weather.

I apologise and the staff aplogised for the smoke in the original room – it is a non-smoking hotel but some guests ignore that – the staff should have done a better job of airing the room and getting rid of the smoke smell. It is a constant problem for us, as guests consistently ignore the no smoking status – despite the fact that there are ample areas outside with heaters to have a smoke.

The heater is not broken – the radiator needed to be bled - it’s one of the old type radiators in the old part of the house and gets air-locked regularly – if the guest had asked then it would have been dealt with immediately – it’s quite a simple process.

The hotel as a whole and all our rooms are spotless – we have never had anyone complain about dirt and I am appalled by comments about bites. It is just not true – any bites were gotten in the guest’s own home or wherever they were before here.

The only reason I can think of for black marks on a sheet would be that our roller iron transferred something from the roller to the sheet – the sheets are all laundered in house – if that’s the case then I apologise – I will have the iron checked.

I’m sorry about the towels and bath mats – we have an in-house laundry and we are constantly replacing worn towels and bath mats – it is extremely regrettable that any guest should be given a worn towel which should have been discarded or used for cleaning rags – we have a large supply of new towels – I have addressed this issue with our housekeeping staff and they will be more vigilant in future. Again – the guest need only have asked.

I’ve checked the safe – it works fine – they are a little complicated to use – I think that perhaps we need to put clearer instructions into the guest directory.

The DJ is our resident DJ and I’ve always found him to be excellent– if he’s asked he’ll play anything you want – he has a huge selection and he also does karaoke. The party night in question was quite small – because of the bad weather there were a lot of cancellations.
I’m not sure what the guest ate – but I have eaten all the dishes on our party menu and found them delicious. I haven’t had the celiac friendly Christmas Pudding but based on the guests comments I guess he/she did – so I’ll take their word for it that it’s good.

We normally cook breakfast fresh to order but when there is a large group in house we put the breakfast on a buffet – in much the same way as every other hotel. There are staff to deal with any individual requests and – if the guest saw nothing to their liking they should have asked for something else – the staff are there to assist – and they were assisting the guest anyway with their dairy, wheat, gluten and caffeine problems.

There is 1 cracked window in the swimming pool – a small crack on 1 corner on the inside pane of a large double glazed window and no effect on the area – and actually is only noticeable if you’re looking for it. Not sure why this guest was looking for issues.

I’m not sure how the guest knew the other people at the party were locals and I’m equally not sure what the guest means by that. It as a mixed party night booked for 90 but about half the guests couldn’t get here due to the weather. This guest was part of 1 group - the other guests they were having a party to themselves so I’m not sure why the guest would want to try and intrude. There were Christmas crackers on all the tables – should have been 1 for everyone – that’s what was put out so not sure where they went – we have plenty because the numbers for your night dropped off considerably due to the weather. I’m not sure what the guest expected from the crackers after paying €40 for the night to include mulled wine reception, dinner and DJ. The crackers we buy for the functions come in bulk – there are 3 types cheap middle expensive – we buy the middle ones – if you ask me all crackers are cheap and nasty but that’s what I expect –I’m not sure why the guest would vilify us for them – we didn’t make them.

Obviously we pulled out all the stops to cater for the guest’s dietary requirements – and I vehemently refute the claim that the bed was dirty. I’m not sure why you said the breakfast was disgusting above and said you were wonderfully catered for here??

I take personal offence to the comments about the place going down hill. I and my family run this business and have a full time maintenance man. We spend thousands on repairs and maintenance every year. Along with ongoing repairs like the repairs to the frost damage on the porch, this year alone all of the sofas and armchairs in the bar were recovered and all of the bedroom corridors and the leisure reception were newly painted. It is a constant process – but our hotel is in excellent condition – so I find the guests comments rude and insulting – I and my family take great personal pride in Roganstown – it’s been in our family since 1916 – and it’s better maintained than any home.

Reviewed December 21, 2010

I have stayed here on three occassions so maybe this was just a slack period; although the prices were certainly top dollar. It's a charming hotel, visually, on the approach and reception at check in was OK but I had booked for four nights but as 2 x 2 nights. Sadly at check in they couldn't say if I would need to be move to another room or not. How strange; as a single traveller it shouldn't have been a big issue. The room was very much standard holiday Inn style fayre but without the quality of bed or pillows. Carpets were marked and curtains tatty. Bathroom was clean but the whole experience of the bedroom wasn't "four star and luxury". TV had few channel choices and was a normal CRT. rather than plasma or lcd.
Food here is good but pricey and restaurant and bar OK except when your waiter is foreign and they have difficulty understanding your order and don't write it down - leading to errors. Not four star luxury. In fact its a feature of the hotel now; it is reliant on foreign workers without any supervision or guidance. Repeating oneself four or five times isn't what you expect.
If you book here as an airport hotel; don't bother unless you are happy to go without breakfast or are happy to wait. Breakfast is commences at 7.00am Monday to Friday. By quarter past seven there was a queue formed and the restaurant wasn't oepned. Again, I went to reception; they said they would sort it; but didn't. Once opened, the hot food was delayed another ten minutes. Not good and not four star luxury. Another morning I opted for room service breakfast; that failed to materialise.
Evening meals - well I was on a DB&B basis. Be careful to make sure Dinner in the restaurant is available as the hotel has a tendancy to use it for private functions at weekends; eating soup and sandwiches in the bar isn't quite what I expected for the premium price paid - but that was it, reception said!

The hotel shares the location with a golf course and there it seems an uneasy relationship- certainly the attitude of the golf side of the operation to my vehicle and family was at best brusque and at worst rude. I do not expect to be questioned as to why I am parked somewhere or what i am doing tending my family by busy body golf staff!

The noise. The bar area gets full of noisy locals. Coupled with a wedding party meant the corridors were noisy all through the night with people running up and down plus banging doors. My room overlooked the main entrance - so had shouting revellers all night, taxis and by 5am delivery vans.

The check-out. Bill was wrong, duty receptionist couldn't rectify it until main receptionist arrived at quarter past seven. I was expected to pay with the error and trust it to be sorted later. I think not.

Overall a poor experience. Was it a one off? Maybe; but I feel the whole establishment is going downhill fast. It tried to be luxury but fails on all counts. It isn't four star; it would struggle to make three star unless the leadership and attention to detail is improved. Leaving well meaning foreign staff with a poor grasp of English isn't fair on them; nor on the guests who have paid a significant sum to "enjoy" the special ambience.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
4  Thank whittimere
Reviewed December 20, 2010

i visited Roganstown with my partner and young daughter and enjoyed a very pleasant stay. the pool was a big attraction for my daughter and we enjoyed a very nice meal and drink in O Callaghans bar. we were made feel very welcome by the staff. the rooms are spacious and very comfortable.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family