“Superb tapas and dessert”

Picaderos Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 41 Restaurants in Maynooth
Price range: US$6 - US$36
Cuisines: South American, Spanish
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Spanish / South American / Latin food,slightly adjusted for Irish tastes / Palates.
Reviewed 25 February 2017 via mobile

This place looks fairly unassuming from outside but I was seriously impressed with the quality of the food. I went for the tapas - vegetarian flautas, Argentinian steak and patatas bravas. All were excellent (if I had known the steak came with potatoes though I probably would have ordered the roasted vegetables instead of patatas bravas). Even though I was quite full the temptation to go for a dessert got the better of me and the churros con chocolate were bloody amazing! Go for it! The staff were very friendly and helpful. I look forward to going back here again soon.

1  Thank beaker1977
There are newer reviews for Picaderos Restaurant

Reviewed 21 February 2017 via mobile

We had a lovely early dinner. Nice selection of food available. Good atmosphere and smart service. Got there early as it was busy with Christmas Party groups arriving for the later sitting. Had been there ones before and was excellent on that ocassion also.

Reviewed 19 February 2017 via mobile

Amazing huge menu, sometimes it's hard to choose. Food is delicious and service is good. Great atmosphere

1  Thank Laura O
Reviewed 18 February 2017 via mobile

Myself and my boyfriend had dinner here on the 15th February as our valentines meal. I read many reviews of many restaurants in Maynooth and decided we would come here as it sounded like the food was amazing. My boyfriend is from Brazil and loves Brazilian food so I thought this restaurant would be very fitting for us. We ordered coxinha to start, but we're very disappointed as it was tasteless. We were then left waiting for so long before our main courses arrived, and I feel we may have been forgotten about. My boyfriend ordered the fillet steak which was €29 on the menu. He asked for it to be cooked medium. When it eventually arrived it was very well done, completely brown on the inside. He was very disappointed, but was so hungry after the wait that he did not want to send it back and wait again. I ordered the Chicken Pollo Marbella which was supposed to be a breast of chicken stuffed with chorizo sausage, topped with a tomato sauce and over a bed of mash. When the dish arrived, it was a breast of chicken topped with a small few pieces of chorizo sausage in a tomato sauce and over a bed of potato which was not fully mashed. It was still nice but not what I was expecting. For the price of the food and the glowing reviews, we were expecting more and left disappointed.

3  Thank Elizabeth G
Martin M, General Manager at Picaderos Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2017

Martin M, General Manager at Picaderos Restaurant, responded to this review

Dear Elizabeth G,

Firstly, many thanks for you custom and secondly for your valued feedback.
As a family run business employing nearly 65 people locally in Maynooth we pride ourselves in offering a quality value for money experience with the best levels of service we can possibly provide.

Continued feedback, both positive and constructive is a very important element in achieving this as it gives us a real time gauge of our team performance. We are very sorry that we have let you down on this occasion as regards our service standards.
Apologies on this occasion for not providing you with the standard of dining experience that you had expected and for falling short on this occasion.

I welcome your feedback on our Chicken "Coxinha style" Croquettas and I immediately raised this with our team of chefs to ensure that the high standard we have come to expect is revisited and maintained. It turns out that the most recent batch of croquettas was missing a vital ingredient in Cream Cheese and that the chef preparing the croquettas had blending the mix too finely and had reduced the chicken filling too much as a result; we normally leaving chunky pieces inside the croquette mix.

I wholeheartedly apologise for the delay that you experienced between your starter course and main courses; I can only apologise; we did experience a busy week with a full house nightly due to Valentine's Day falling mid-week, however, this is no excuse as it is our responsibility to maintain high standards at all times.

As regards your partners over cooked fillet steak; I understand that you were very hungry & did not want a further long wait by requesting a fresh fillet steak be cooked but it is always best practice to notify us of any issues on the night in question to give us an opportunity to rectify them on the spot. I would not have expected you to pay for a dish that was not cooked as ordered and the bill would have most certainly been adjusted to reflect this. In reality it is very difficult to retrospectively fixed this kind of mistake afterwards however I will endeavour to offer you a gesture of goodwill to apologise.

As regards the price of the Fillet Steak; we offer a 30 day hung & aged tender 10oz prime Fillet Angus Steak on our menu at €29.90 including sides and sauces which we feel is a very competitive price for a prime cut of beef; most restaurants in the North Kildare / West Dublin areas charge a similar price for a smaller 8oz cut.

As regards our Chicken Pollo Marbella main course dish; we don't actually stuff the chicken with chorizo sausage and we pan fried slices of Spanish chorizo as detailed on our menus; Chicken ‘Pollo’ Marbella: Pan roasted chicken breast, sliced spicy Spanish Chorizo sausage & sautéed onions in a rich creamy Vine tomato & white wine sauce. Served on a bed of creamy mashed potato.

As a gesture of goodwill I would like to offer you a complimentary gift voucher to enjoy another meal on us to go a small way to make up for our shortcomings on this occasion.

Therefore, I would welcome that you contact us directly by email (info@picaderos.ie) or phone (016292806) and I would be more than welcome to discuss the issues raised in the this review in person and arrange a gift voucher to be sent out to you.

Many Thanks
Martin McMahon

Reviewed 16 February 2017

While arranging a lunch with an old friend we decided to look in the Leixlip, Celbridge and Maynooth area. We settled on Picaderos in Maynooth. This was a first-time visit to a place which describes itself as Argentinian/Mexican. Straight away I have to say that it was the best lunch I have had in years. The Picaderos has everything, most importantly the food from an endless menu, the service from friendly and efficient waters is superb and one of the draft beers (San Miguel) was fresh and in great condition.
I had a Cimichanga (Shredded chicken with multiple flavourings in a wrap) and my friend had a Lava Rock Chicken Roll. We both gave full marks for the food and can't wait to go back and try some more dishes.