All reviews hot water communist bears snow forest
Reviewed September 24, 2016 via mobile

I am surprised to see a single hotel alone on a mountain, with a Telecabina only 50 m away.
Acceptable rooms with nice colouring and a good room temperature. Clean bathroom and towels. Hot water. Nice price.
What else could you wish for ?

Date of stay: September 2016
Reviewed September 12, 2016

I have mixed feelings about this place. I read some of the other negative reviews-- old broken furniture, rude staff, smelly carpets-- and while I agree to some extent, this hotel has some things going for it. I'll share my experience and then you can decide.

Our GPS said it was 11 km from the main road in Sinaia. However, it took us about 30 min to travel those 11 km because of all the twists and turns. I absolutely loved how secluded the location was on top of the mountain. There were a few hiking trails nearby. You can walk up some stairs across from the hotel and there's a restaurant with outdoor seating. Walk up a little further and you'll reach the tele gondola to take you down to Sinaia or up to 2000 meters.

I booked my room on booking.com and it stated that the size of the double room was 25sqm. Upon seeing it, our room was definitely not 25sqm. The room was barely big enough for two people with luggage but with a balcony big enough to play football on. We figured the price for the night was so cheap, we would ask if a junior suite was available. It was, for an extra 30 lei, and we paid it and moved to a much larger, more comfortable room with a large balcony also. You've seen the pictures. My room (nr. 106) was decorated old style. No modern amenities. Wifi was spotty and didn't really work anyway. The shampoo and shower gel were in packets, not bottles. The legs of the chairs and table looked like they would collapse if you put weight on them. Don't try to open the drawers or the knobs come off. The bed was being held up from underneath by wooden slabs.

But still, there was something charming about the style and location and everything pitch black around you except for a little strip of twinkling lights down in the city. An excellent location and balcony to pop open a bottle of wine.

For dinner, we dined in the hotel restaurant underground, which I thought was closed upon entering because no one was there and they had all the lights off. A waiter appeared and greeted me and flipped on all the lights. The restaurant was more like a banquet hall and had a faint carpet odor. I was wary of eating there but it wasn't like we had much choice. I ordered our "safe" menu items: vegetable soup, chicken schnitzel with mashed potatoes, and grilled chicken breast with garlic sauce. And I was pleasantly surprised. The food was piping hot. Everything was prepared fresh and was delicious. Even the side salads had fresh cut and seasoned cucumbers and tomatoes. The Ursus bottles were ice cold. We along with the kids devoured everything.

It seemed like the hotel was deserted that night as we didn't see another living soul enter the restaurant or walk through the halls. But at breakfast the next morning, we saw there were many guests staying. Breakfast was okay with the usual selection: eggs, sausage, cheeses, cold cuts, vegetables, and a variety of cereals and beverages.

So yes, the negative reviews are true but it depends on your perspective. The bathrooms were clean. Shower was hot with high water pressure. There's a small playroom for the kids on the first floor. A large bar area with couches and tables. There's a sauna and billiards room. We will probably try this place again in the winter because of the location and the restaurant.

Room tip: choose a room with no balcony if you don't need it as the balcony takes up half the room size. we enjoyed our balcony though.
Date of stay: September 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank sarahsweis
Reviewed July 5, 2016 via mobile

is one of the cheapest place around €25 and you'll have a great restaurant great view and the hotel is actually on top of the mountain The room is king-size everything it's perfect The holder also have sauna and other facilities but we didn't use them

Date of stay: July 2016
3  Thank Obreja M
Reviewed June 9, 2016 via mobile

It is so sad that a hotel with a great past and such placement became a ruin. Nothing runs well in here. The staff is rude, scting like they are doing you a favor to check you in, the meals at the restaurant are horrible, smaller portions than written in the menu and the quality of the ingredients is bad, the rooms are dirty, the is furniture old and broken, the carpet is dirty and torned, the ceiling is molded, the wifi is very weak and it mostly won't work. The single things that are ok are the bathrooms and the spectacular view. It is definitely a place to avoid, the facilities are the one's of a hostel, not a 3* hotel.

Date of stay: September 2015
1  Thank Alexandru F
Reviewed May 22, 2016

The nice things about this hotel is that it is spacious, both halls and rooms and the view of course. Unfortunately there are many more negatives: Extremely RUDE receptionist who was cheating and when caught threw money at us! Still she did not give back 3 Lei, she wanted to steal 13... stinky, dirty carpets, very average food (although breakfast was nit bad) stinky restaurant and again: very bad service, we wanted 40 min for the check out of 3 rooms! The only nice person at the hotel was a girls bar tender. The waiters were arrogant, just a disaster! They exist only because of their phenomenal location, everything else should be changed/renovated/cleaned or fired....

Date of stay: May 2016