“Great location and views but PLEASE find yourself a CHEF!”

and 1 more site!
Hotel Coto del Valle
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Cazorla
Rotterdam
“Great location and views but PLEASE find yourself a CHEF!”
Reviewed 2 May 2012

It's a pity that this hotel does not spend money on hiring a 'good' chef. The food is absolutely so terrible that I even considered offering my services for free!! The restaurant is quite nice and when they hand you the menu you are still in the illusion that the food is going to be good. And then they serve you and you can't believe your eyes ... a salad of partridge with figs you are promised and then your plate arrives with iceberg salad, pineapple, tomatoes and it's all covered with a pink thick sauce that makes you think the chef threw up over your plate. I never judge a book by its cover so I decided to take a bite. OMG. This wasn't partridge but slices of cold chicken. The waiter informed me that the kitchen was out of partridge and had some chicken left over from yesterday and informed me that the taste was the same anyway. He seemed a bit suprised that I had managed to taste the difference with all the sauce on top.

The wine ordered from the wine list was poured in without showing us the lable of the bottle. To our suprise we were served a wine from a different year and much younger than the one we ordered. After pointing this out to the waiter he mumbled something in Spanish and deducted Euro 10,- from the bill. Ok, so we can live with pink throw up and the wrong bottle of wine but visitors beware of the desserts!!! .. do not order anything with milk, cream of ice cream. I suspect that dessert is rarely ordered and re-frozen. Very bad idea and don't even think about trying dessert if you don't want to spend the next day feeling ill ...

Breakfast was quite interesting and made me feel like I was being punished for having survived dinner the night before. When entering the restaurant we were completely ignored. When asked where we could sit the waiter pointed at a 'dirty' table and told us to sit there. We waited for a while until we noticed other guests collecting their tableware, setting their tables and basically doing the waiters work. Strange, but ok. So then we looked to see what was on offer. Yoghurt at roomtemp and not cooled. Same for the coldcuts. Dry bread. 2 croissants and pastries for a group of 30 people. I still haven't figured out which is worse dinner or breakfast.

The location, views, reception area and spa area (will cost you Euro 20,- ) are very good. The courtyard set up with the rooms around all have great views. We booked last minute on booking.com and paid Euro 135,- for 2 bedrooms. The rooms are not 4 star quality but if you came to this area for the nature you will not be bothered with that too much. The shower is sufficient and they really would like you to brush your teeth as we found 8 toothbrushes in the bathroom.

One of the nicest things of this hotel is that they feed wild boars at the end of the day and it's great if you have kids with you to see these animals up close!

The question is would I come back to this hotel? Yes and for the only reason that I hope that one day they manage to get it right and decide that food is just as important as a magnificant view or a thermal pool. My only advise is not to book half or full board but to eat around for instance at the Parador close by or stop for some excellent tapas in one of the villages on your way to the walking treks. We bought some excellent bread at a local supermarket with some delicious sausage made from wild boar and local cheese.

Whatever you decide to do, don't miss out on the chance to see some of the most wonderful scenery I've seen in Spain.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank LadyChefRotterdam

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Valais
Reviewed 2 November 2011

We choosed the place because it lies close to the center of the valley (Arroyofrio), but is calm and close to the nature.
It has 4 stars because of it equippment, and offers a nice park ans swimming pools, but the rooms are rather basic, although confortable. There is no bath, only a shower in the rooms, and, as it is often the case in Spain, your hear a little too much your neighbours.
The very bad point was the food. The reception confirmed me that the cook was out, but still there was a tremendous lack of care, like rotted fruits and dried bread. The breakfast was poor as well, but it was low season.
So, the positive points where the location and price. But I suspect there are better places to stay in the area, and any place will provide you a better food for half the price.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank pvull
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2011

I thought it might be useful to post an up to date review on here in English as most of the reviews seem to have been written in Spanish, this is no doubt due to the fact that this place is well off ‘the beaten track’ and not on the usual tourist trail.

I stayed here for a week at the end of June and what an amazing place. I was there as part of a large group and we made our own entertainment so the week was quite lively.

This place is really a hidden treasure and it has its own extensive grounds.

Located in a rural location in the Cazorla National Park the hotel is quite isolated and is surrounded by pine trees. Just across the road from the hotel a family of wild boars regularly visit to be fed.

The hotel is build with nice terracotta coloured bricks and the whole place looks lovely, with flowers blooming all over the place. There is a covered courtyard in the centre of the building making it a nice area to sit and relax outside but out of the glare of the sun.

My room was a corner room and did get quite warm later in the day, the air conditioning wasn’t very effective and I suppose I should have reported it but I didn’t get around to it. I had fantastic views over the trees and could hear the sound of running water all the time from the stream down below, it was really relaxing. It was lovely to sit out on the balcony in the early morning and just listen to the sounds of the forest.

I had twin beds in my room and there was plenty of hanging space and room to move around. The bed was very comfortable although I didn’t sleep too well at first due to the heat, once I mastered the art of leaving the windows and shutters open all night then I slept much better.

The pool was brilliant and the water was so warm it was heaven to escape from the 37 degree heat with a lovely swim in a nice clean, well maintained pool, there were plenty of sun loungers available and pool towels could be obtained from reception.

The food was of a really high standard and far too good not to try everything - I’m afraid it wasn’t good for the waistline though!

There isn’t much to do in the evenings but sit, relax, have dinner and a quiet drink in the bar and listen to the sounds from the surrounding woods. It’s a great place to go for total rest and relaxation.

All the staff were really helpful, friendly and efficient and Jose on the bar looked after us really well.

There is free Wi Fi available but it seemed quite intermittent and seemed to drop the signal quite regularly, one minute it would work in the room and then it wouldn’t the same in the main reception area etc. There is however a small lounge off the bar with a PC in it.

The only downside is that the main mountain road runs right past the front gates of the hotel and it is surprisingly busy, it does make it very awkward if you want to head out that way walking as the cars seem to use it as a race track and it can be quite dangerous as well as noisy.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank Bouedo
Spain
Reviewed 21 May 2008

We have just returned from one night at this hotel but out of 4 of us we were all very disatisfied.
We booked the hotel initially because they advertised a heated swimming pool which was very importane to us. Upon arrival we found the pool was empty and there were major building excavations going on beside it and so the whole area was out of bounds. The noise from the site was terrible it went through the whole hotel.
Then we discovered the lift was out of order and as one of our party was disabled this proved quite difficult.
The dinner in the evening was very very poor, one meal was completely inedbile and after the waiter was informed they did offer something different but in the end did not charge for that particular meal. The other meals were of a very low standard and as this is a 4 star hotel we were very disappointed.
There were several dogs on the site and some of them barked most of the night.
We certainly will not return and never recommend the hotel to anyone.
The final thing was on checking out I asked for the complaints book but the receptionist refused to give it to me.

• Liked — shower facilities
  • Disliked — lack of swimming pool
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
5 Thank Juanita2
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cazorla
4.8 km away
6.4 km away
Hotel Guadalquivir
Hotel Guadalquivir
#2 of 11 in Cazorla

Been to Hotel Coto del Valle? Share your experiences!