There were some good points:
1. The position is fairly central and this hostal is well placed for nearby beaches which were probably the best in Nerja. It can be a good base.
2. We had air conditioning for most of our stay.
3. You can get a good sea view from balcony rooms with good sunlight - but we only had a room like this for one night.
4. The beds are made each day and the maids are friendly and helpful.
5. The place is fairly clean but is it is not spotless and no one cleans under the beds. Nor are the stairwell mopped. I found dirt on the interior landing by simply rubbing my finger on the floor.
The bad points:
1. We signed for a room with a supposed patio. This 'patio' was a dark interior corridor with a table and chairs outside the room. Had we seen the room before signing for it we would have immediately gone somewhere else. The room was small, with a tiny window within the interior of the hostal. It felt more like a prison cell than a guest room as the window had bars on it. The light which entered the room came from high above the the window; all that could be seen outside the window was small interior box-like, place with pipes, etc. It was reminiscent of an open-air chimney. There was no fresh air. Without air conditioning it would have been nearly impossible to breathe.
2. The owner knew about awfulness of this room and what we would make of it - but she and her family did not care. She exhibited false graciousness in her dealings with us and we did not think the room was worth what was being charged for it. It was a place to get away from.
3. We had a balcony room for our last day and this was better. But this did NOT have air conditioning with only an overhead fan. For this we were charged 5 euros more without knowing about the AC. The toilets and showers in both rooms were small. And one had to be careful as you could bang your head on a glass shelf in the balcony room very easily and do oneself a nasty injury.
4. Guests can use the expansive garden but this is hedged around two periods of the day of only three hours long. So guests tended not to use the garden as you could be asked to leave after short while.
5. There is the baleful glare of a dowager-like lady on the ground floor who stares at you as if you have no right being there.
6. The family also own the two star hotel with the same name in the centre of town but there are no synergies between the two as guests in the hostal are unable to use the other property. The hotel is simply promoted as a classier establishment in which visitors could have stayed if they would just fork out more.
7. Towels were changed every three days. Sheets every week. That's not enough in the intense heat of summer.
No doubt this has been a successful family business but they really do not care about customer satisfaction. In the age of "Trip Advisor" such as attitude to paying guests cannot last. Paying guests can find so much better. For what it is, Hostal Mena is not good value for money.
We liked Nerja but would NEVER go back to this hostal.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Hostal Residencia Mena reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hostal Residencia Mena Hotel Nerja