All reviewsbull ringboth sidespetrol stationthe main roadisolated locationrecreation areaoutdoor poolgreat discoveryshort drivethe cottageshalf boardin house restaurantstayed here for nightsfamily run hotelred winehotel staffday trip
Reviewed April 17, 2017

This is a beautiful but expensive Mesón. One can't help but think that they were, at one time, magnificent. Today, however, they are lacking in many areas.

The room phone didn't work and neither did the lift, so to talk to reception I had to climb the stairs. I did this on at least 8 occasions due to other problems we had. When I brought up the very phone issue, I was told that people don't use room phones any more. What nonsense! I'm a massive techie myself, but I know full-well that the most fancy hotel in London still has room phones. I don't want to mess around trying to find mobile phone signal and use my credit to phone the damn reception.

The WiFi signal was awful, the TV wasn't tuned in, there was no room service even though we offered to pay extra, and the restaurant food was really poor for the price. Honestly, the Duck Magret was the worst toughest most tasteless duck I've ever had, including €6 dishes from a cheap Chinese restaurant.

To top it all off, they offered a measly 10% discount for all the troubles we had. Not enough I'm afraid.

Oh, breakfast was very basic too. No eggs or cooked food, apart from microwaved croissants. I heard another two tables asking disappointedly for eggs too. Come on folks, sort it out!

Room Tip: Ask for one with strong WiFi
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SeasonedLuncher
Reviewed March 21, 2017 via mobile

We had two nice rooms on the same floor as reception and restaurant. Room 101 smelled of cigarettes but was spacious and the bed was comfortable. The swimming pool is beautiful. Yes, the road has a lot of traffic but you can't hear it and you aren't walking on it. The restaurant served good food at dinner and breakfast. We enjoyed relaxing by the fireplace with red wine. To me, this place is a blast from the past and I loved it!

Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank jedcan
Reviewed March 21, 2017

We stayed at this hotel because it is exactly half way between Algeciras and Tarifa, as son lives in Algeciras and w/ends in Tarifa.

The hotel is situated on the main road but you do not hear any traffic noise. There is ample parking n both sides of the main road with an underpass to walk from hotel to parking spot.

The rooms were spacious and well equipped. We were on the first floor with a terrace at the back of the hotel with views of the mountain and sea, coast of Morocco.

We didn't have breakfast at hotel as we like to go into Tarifa and sample breakfast at different places especially along the coast.

We had dinner one night which was excellent,

Hotel staff very friendly speak English, Icould use my Spanish (which been learning) waiter was very patient with me as I read the menu and ordered for everyone (at sons request) .

There is a large pool but weather wasn't warm enough to use. Also gym but again didn't use,

Would definately use this hotel again.

Room Tip: Room at back of hotel, although bungalows looked good around the pool
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed March 21, 2017 via mobile

Meson de Sancho is a lovely, relaxing hotel. The staff could not have been more accommodating. The food at their restaurant was delicious. It was too cool when we were there but the pool is beautiful.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed March 9, 2017

Arrived here late to find immaculate room and wonderful dinner. Staff was very friendly and accomodating. Food delicious, recommend the pork chops. Nice warm fireplace in the dining room. inviting decor in the lobby.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled with friends