“Fantastic food and service”
Review of The Dog and Badger

The Dog and Badger
Ranked #16 of 78 Restaurants in Marlow
Price range: US$8 - US$63
Cuisines: British
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Description: The Dog and Badger reopened in July 2015 as a free house after an extensive refurbishment over 18 months. The original building has been restored to retain its charm and a new Oak framed space has been added to house the main bar and the new state-of-the art open kitchen with its wood-fired oven and charcoal grill. The 60 seat restaurant serves seasonal contemporary dishes all prepared with locally sourced ingredients wherever possible. The kitchen has its own large vegetable and herb garden at the back of Gillman's Cottage. Breakfast is served from 8am to midday with bar snacks and meals including many pub favourites available in the bar and snug areas from 11am through until 10pm. A beautiful terrace has been added for alfresco drinking and dining. The private dining suite accommodates up to 14 for business meetings or a private lunch or dinner and 30 for a less formal occasion. The adjacent Gillman's Cottage has 6 luxury bedrooms all with private bathrooms and air conditioning. We very much look forward to welcoming you to The Dog and Badger!
Reviewed 30 September 2017 via mobile

We revisited here for dinner with 4 adults and 2 children( 4 and 2) . I have to say I was really impressed! The welcome was great! With 2 little ones one isn't the easiest of parties. The service was friendly and efficient . The wine list was reasonable and a good range of cocktails. The food was excellent and it covered well for vegans, vegetarians and gluten free.
I have to say the vegan pie was outstanding and meanwhile they kept the kids totally happy with the kids menu.

Reviewed 28 September 2017

My husband and I came here because we had read in other reviews that they had a vegan menu. I called ahead to double check this was true and was told they did have vegan options on the menu.
When we arrived we had a very nice cocktail, and bread and olives to nibble. We asked the server which menu items were vegan as none were marked. She checked with the chef who offered to make an off-menu risotto, or to adapt the pie. I chose the pie, and it was delicious! Packed with veg, in a very nice tomato sauce, with roast sweet potato chunks on top to replace the non-vegan potato cake.
We also had raspberry sorbet for dessert, which seemed home made and was very tasty too.

There was a nice ambiance, no hovering service, families and couples and groups of friends were all dining. We'll be back for the risotto!

1  Thank Missy V
Reviewed 23 September 2017 via mobile

Plenary of staff on a quite night. Hard to get attention and order mistake. Pleasant people, need more training and supervision

2  Thank JonFP
Reviewed 22 September 2017

Had a nice meal here for my boyfriend's meal. They were very accommodating on the phone when I range up enquiring about a birthday dessert/happy birthday message.

The menu is standard pub menu - Burgers, Steak,Pasta, Fish + Chips but presented well. However could do with some more special/upmarket meals and currently feels more like a Sunday Lunch rather than date night/celebration meals. It was very empty when we arrived at 8pm, and not many other people arrived after us (we left at 10pm). I think due to the location, which is out of Marlow town centre is why it was quiet.

The entrance and bar area are lovely and one of the best features of the restaurant, therefore it gives the perception it is a 'fancy' place but the food needs improving to match the glam decor. The Bar area has lots of seating and lots of great cocktails on offer.

The waitress was amazing! Young, Bubbly and personable. She even offered my boyfriend a free drink after he declined the 'birthday dessert' (that I had secretly organised).

We shared starters - Baked Chorizo and Feta and King Prawns which were lovely but small portions, almost like Tapas size. For Main, we have Steak which was nice but nothing special.

I would definitely recommend for a Sunday lunch and I would take my family who are not from the area to visit for a nice atmosphere and meal. However I just didn't feel like it was the right place for a celebration or intimate atmosphere.

Reviewed 21 September 2017

We stayed for one night, with our dog, for our wedding anniversary. We loved the room and it was the first time we have felt jealous of a bathroom since doing up our own house a year ago. Very comfortable bed, good coffee making facilities and a good sized room. We were (all) made to feel very welcome by friendly and helpful staff. The menu may be a bit limited but our steaks were delicious. We particularly liked the menu's focus on fresh ingredients - lengthy menus can mean mainly microwaved dishes. Slightly surprised by breakfast in that there was no buffet with cereal, orange juice, etc but rather a menu of mainly cooked dishes, although what we had was very good. Would definitely return.