“Disappointed ”

Cuisines: British, Gastropub
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

We felt underwhelmed. On arrival we were greeted, seated and offered complimentary drinks from Tom (thanks).
The girl in the bar area was charismatic and certainly had her finger on the pulse and everything was going in the right direction.
Once ushered to our table the atmosphere changed - I felt that our waiter was a little disinterested (not in an obvious way).
Food was nice but to be honest nothing better than we’ve had in a normal gastro pub. The lovage soup was like warm, the Chateaubriand was well cooked but not outstanding, the pork belly was a little dry...
In general nothing really stood out as amazing or worthy of 2 stars. What a shame.

3  Thank dorothy62
Write a ReviewReviews (4,047)

Reviewed April 4, 2018

I came with my boyfriend for a celebratory drink. We were directly greeted by a waiter, showed us to a table by the bar, which was not where we wanted. Drinks came, they were ok. the bar area is the same place as the Accommodation check in, very claustrophobic. over priced due to a celebrity being the owner. Have to remember it is a Greene King Property at the end of the day!!!!!

3  Thank Caroline A
Reviewed April 3, 2018

We came a long way to celebrate my birthday and were made to feel welcome from the moment we arrived, with champagne by the stove until our booth table was ready. We chose from Tom's Menu and the warm “Lamb Chorizo” and Haggis Tart with Carrot, Fennel and Chartreuse Whipped Cheese was superb! The Main course of slow Cooked Duck Breast with Apricot Puree, Morel, Duck and Moroccan Crumble Tart was equally mouth-watering, and the duck simply melted in the mouth. Quite delicious.
The service was subtly attentive and our needs were spotted almost before we knew it. The dishes we were thinking of choosing were described to us beforehand in detail and with such obvious pride. This was truly a fine dining experience and we'd hope to visit again one day. Very highly recommended.

Reviewed April 3, 2018 via mobile

This was a Birthday treat. We were treated so well on arrival even though it was busy and we were early. Yes it is very expensive but I found the whole experience delightful. My daughters are vegetarian and the menu for them was better than many places although their website doesn’t advertise this. The food was lovely, not perfect, I wasn’t sure about the Moroccan tart with the duck, the onion tart tatin was apparently a bit of onion overload and my husbands beef was a bit chewy but the rest was fabulous and the whole experience was wonderful, I felt really spoiled.

Reviewed April 3, 2018 via mobile

My daughter took me to the Hand and Flowers for my 60th in 2016 and it was fabulous. I thought my husband would love it so I bought it as a present for him. I will skip the ludicrous performance you have to go through to book, so we were booked for the 10th of March.
We arrived early to have a drink at the bar and it was so packed we were told we would have to stand at the bar. A seat finally became available and the seat had a broken spring in the seat cushion making it very uncomfortable.
We were taken through to our table and we both ordered the fish 'omelet'. I had this on my first visit and it was amazing. When it came, it could have been warmer and it seemed a bit watery on the base. It did continue to cook, but it wasn't as good as on my first visit. I ordered the lamb for second course and was literally one solitary item in the middle of the plate. I think the waiting staff should advise you that you might need sides, although at £36 a plate a few veg wouldn't go amiss. We didn't have dessert.
We had numerous waiters serving us and the service was patchy and impersonal. On my first visit I found a bone in my fish starter. I didn't complain and just placed it on the side of my plate. The waiter noticed and apologised profusely and advised us that there would be no charge for that dish. The young couple on the next table were obviously big Tom Kerridge fans and had probably saved up for this meal - as we had. They asked if Tom was around and were told that Tom likes a Saturday night off to spend with his family. I hate to tell you Tom, but you're in the wrong business if you want that.
Tom has taken over Marlow as Heston has in Bray - maybe spreading yourself too thin; that 2 star status was looking wobbly the night we went, and you can't have a bad night when you charge those prices.

8  Thank Gortr001