All reviews the pub self catering bunk beds daymer bay apartment dog key cornwall
Reviewed June 28, 2016

I did not stay in the appartments but went to the Oyster Catcher just for lunch in the pub. I arrived for lunch with a party of 4. It was a warm sunny day so we decided to sit outside. The picnic type tables were old looking and needed a coat of paint or even upgrading but there was a lovely view of Polzeath beach and surrounding hills.
We had to order food and drinks at the bar inside and were given a table number on a wooden spoon, paid upfront and then asked to take out our own cutlery and sauces etc. in a box with the drinks. I would have expected this to be brought out by the waiter however I had to carry this through two doors with both hands full and had to ask someone sat near the door to open both doors for me
The food came out after about 20 mins , reasonably acceptable
I ordered Cajun chicken burger which was very average. The bap was not very nice and the chicken very hard, possibly overcooked, the chips were in a mini frier type container and served on a wooden tray which made me concerned about the cleanliness of the wood. I must say I have tasted better.

Inside the pub the paintwork around the toilets was very poor and in need of decoration, as was other parts of the building
There was a big TV screen on the wall with sky sports and a pool table.
The staff were very pleasant and friendly which was a plus point in their favour

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed May 21, 2016

Bed hard, water came out of hot tap brown, staff not very helpful, food average. We left some clothes behind, it took 5 phone calls before anything was done. Very hilly, but good for walkers. Dogs are welcome in pub which is good otherwise you would have to travel to another pub. Dogs not allowed on main beach, but we found a coastal walk and found a lovely cove for the dogs to run on.

Stayed: May 2016
Reviewed January 4, 2016

I just want to say thank you to Jon and his staff for making our New Years Eve a happy and memorable occasion.
We stayed in a villa in Polzeath on New Years Eve and had planned to eat at the Oyster Catcher. By the time we got there at 6.15 all the tables were taken and there were lots of people waiting. My husband was ill and didn't feel much like standing all night. The hotel wouldn't normally do take aways but we spoke to Jon and as a special concession he made up a take away for us. Fish and chips wrapped up in foil to get us home before they went cold. It was magic. We had a quiet supper, put my husband to bed and went down to the beach for the fireworks. We had a great evening and it was thanks to Jon's kindness and generosity (and flexibility) which made it all possible. I can't say anything about the hotel itself because we didn't stay there but I would definitely recommend the Oyster Catcher to friends because for me a friendly and warm welcome is what it's all about and we certainly got that there. Thanks Jon and staff and Happy New Year.

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank Mme-Storm
StAustellManagement, General Manager at Oystercatcher, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2016

Thank you very much for such kind words, it is a great boost to moral for the team and myself when we hear that we have had such a positive impact on your holiday time in Polzeath! We hope to see you again soon, so we can enhance your next visit to our beautiful village. Until then - take care and Happy New Year!

Kind regards
Jon

Reviewed August 9, 2015

Wow, we had another great week. Thank you to Jon and his team of friendly staff for making us feel so welcome! The apartment (#7) was the best yet, no noise from the pub and very comfortable! Visit them, you won't regret it :-)

Room Tip: Room 7 has great views and 2 comfy bedrooms. The layout worked well for us
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
StAustellManagement, Manager at Oystercatcher, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2015

Hello again, sorry it has taken a while to reply to your post. Thank you very much for this lovely review and thanks again for your company and custom this summer. We all really enjoyed looking after you and we look forwards to your return this year. Until then take care!

Jon

Reviewed June 5, 2015

My husband and I have just arrived home after a weeks stay at apartment no. 4 at the Oystercatcher, I don't normally write reviews but felt compelled to say what a fantastic place this is. For the price the apartment exceeded our expectations it was a really good size, quiet with great cooking facilities (not that we used them with the pub serving suchgood food!). It was extextremely clean and the bathroom looked almost new. The area is great for coastal walks (a walk to Daymer Bay is a must) and is well located for exploring Cornwall. The pub is great with a diverse mixture of people young and old including locals which is always a good sign. The staff are really friendly and they loved our dog! We rarely go back to the same place twice but feel we have found everything we need here so we're planning our next trip already. The only disappointment was that we were only there for a week and not longer! If you want the tranquility and beauty Cornwall with some home comforts, peace and quiet yet with the chance to chat in a pub with a great vibe serving good food all at a reasonable price then this is the place!

Room Tip: I think our apartment no 4 was the best, although it doesn't have a sea view it is really spacious and in a quiet spot.
  • Stayed: June 2015, travelled as a couple
StAustellManagement, General Manager at Oystercatcher, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2015

Thank you for taking the time to leave us such positive feedback - it is always a pleasure to hear that someone has stayed with us and had such a good time that they can't wait to return. We look forwards to seeing you all again in the near future, until then - take care!
Kind regards,