“AMAZING INDIAN CUISINE.”

Cuisines: Indian, Street Food
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed April 18, 2016

We’re regular visitors to Parkeston – indeed, not only do I remember the days when the Captain Fryatt was The Garland Hotel, on the day we visited we had been tending the grave of a relative of mine who, I believe, actually knew the real Captain Fryatt.
For drinks we’re members of the Railway Club, but it’s always been difficult to get something really good for an evening meal without going to Dovercourt or Harwich – there’s Morrison’s café, the Fish and Chip shop (in Garland Rd.) or The Mayflower (selling standard, rather unimaginative, pub stuff). That’s not the case any more.

The Laila Grill at the Captain Fryatt is open lunchtimes and evenings, and, at very reasonable prices, is serving some of the best Indian food you’ll find anywhere (and I say that as a former resident of Bradford, and someone who remembers the Kastoori in Tooting). When working in Leeds, some colleagues from Mumbai used to complain that the food at the local curry houses was too greasy – it was, they said, more Pakistani or Bengali than Indian. I need to tell them of the Laila Grill: the food there is much fresher, much lighter, than that you get in a normal 'Indian' restaurant, and I’m sure they’ll like it.

Viv had Palak Kichidi – a vegetarian concoction of rice and vegetables, with spices – and she absolutely loved it. I usually struggle to finish a whole portion of curry, but not here – I had the Amma’s Fish Curry, and it was quite possibly the best curry I have ever tasted.

Our drinks totalled two glasses of beer, and two of wine, and one of mineral water: our bill came to only £36.80. For that price we got a meal of a quality for which you’d have to pay double in some areas of London.

If there is any justice in the world there will soon be people wending their way from London by train to Harwich International station, and then meandering to Garland Road for a curry – it really is a food experience that should not be missed.

We’ll be back.

1  Thank Phil B

Reviewed March 15, 2016 via mobile

Went here for lunch on our anniversary as it had been recommended to us by work colleagues. We did arrive a little late for lunch and there we're only 2 other diners but we were well greeted and made comfortable. We ordered and did have a bit of a wait but was worth it as the food was freshly made and very tasty. Being Asian ourselves we know a good curry from the slosh but Laila exceeded expectations. Fresh, tasty, well flavoured food. We will visit again for dinner and glad we have somewhere which cooks real indian food where we can take family.

1  Thank Jay B
Reviewed February 11, 2016

The black painters exterior leaders you into a pub bar with all the good points one should have.
Pass through with your drinks to the restaurant, and the seen changes to a room with benches and tables, with the kitchen in full view to see your food prepared and cooked.
There is an extensive menu and lots to try. The quality is very good as it is prepared for you, piping hot and to your taste what ever you require.
Service is quick and efficient.
A good representation of real Indian foods.

Reviewed February 8, 2016

Excellent evening spent at the Laila grill. Food could not be faulted. It was served hot and freshly cooked. We enjoyed the chicken farcha, assorted pakoras, chicken tikka masala and lamb salli all cooked in full view.

Reviewed January 21, 2016

Having heard about the restaurant from a friend I decided to give their new takeaway service a go and im so glad I did !!! Not only did I receive my takeaway bang on time the delivery lady greeted me with a smile and a takeaway menu with a discount offer for my next takeaway order. The food was excellent I would recommend it to any one, 10 out 10 !!