“A lovely accidental discovery”
Review of The Masons Arms

The Masons Arms
Ranked #43 of 109 Restaurants in Louth
Description: The Masons Arms Hotel in Louth is a modern boutique hotel in the heart of the Lincolnshire Wolds. Step inside our handsome 18th century building and you'll find yourself in a modern boutique hotel. A grade II listed building, the Masons Arms Hotel combines 300-year-old-features with modern style, comfort and connectivity. Our 10 en suite bedrooms, restaurant, cocktail bar, ballroom and library are a timeless escape from the hustle and bustle of modern life. Whether you're looking for a delicious meal produced from predominantly locally sourced ingredients, a romantic retreat, a comfy stopover or a Lincolnshire wedding venue, make your getaway to the heritage and character of the Masons Arms Hotel.
Reviewed April 4, 2018

It was a dull,rainy afternoon as we wandered round Louth wondering where to go for lunch. Happily we came cross the Masons Arms hotel and decided to give it a try.
We received a very warm welcome and were shown to our table in a very smart but comfortable, brasserie.
The food arrived in good time and my friend's dish of crab cakes with chips was tasty and very substantial.The rustic chips were especially memorable, being very crisp on the outside, beautifully soft on the inside and with a great flavour. My choice of beetroot risotto was very nice but a little overcooked and a bit stodgy. Hence only four stars, but still well worth a visit.

1  Thank frez128

Reviewed April 2, 2018 via mobile

We had the lemon sole and the sausage baguette. Both meals were delicious. Beautiful surroundings and helpful staff. Really lovely

2  Thank josiemills73
Reviewed April 2, 2018

Lovely comfortable Queen sized bed, nice shower room. However, the room was tiny and far too small to be called Queen despite the size of bed. Very cramped feel, and would not have stayed longer than the one night booked. Cooked breakfast was very good, albeit very slow.

Reviewed March 25, 2018

Had great lunch at the recently refurbished Masons Arms. Light, bright and friendly with a great menu. Lots of interesting twists on usual menu, and much enjoyed the Burger, salad and chips and the accompanyments. My friend also enjoyed her very fresh sole. For pud we had a small ? chocolate brownie with Irish cream etc. Delicious. Coffee comes with a piece of choc fudge which is is brilliant touch.

There is a young and very talented chef at the helm and I am sure that there will be many others who like me, have difficulty in chosing what to eat - all choices sounded very enticing.

Everywhere clean and fresh, and attentive friendly staff. What more could one want.
I hope to return soon to enjoy another wonderful meal.

2  Thank salopian48
Reviewed March 25, 2018 via mobile

Visited for Sunday lunch menu with family - a total of eight adults and five children for which we have to preorder on Saturday.
The food was awful and the overall experience very poor. I will not recommend eating here until the sort out the kitchen. It is a shame as I really wanted to like the place (my family really enjoyed the previous chef’s food) and the place looks really smart after being renovated.
For mains, my mother in law and two sisters in law ordered the pasta bake (with Ricotta and brócoli). The three of them sent the dish back as it was acrid probably the result of the ricotta being off. My point is - those dishes should have not even left the kitchen. The chef sent his apologies. The fish goujons were not such - it was fish with thick butter that was not very pleasant to eat or consistently cooked from the kitchen; one of the six dishes done was over cooked, borderline burnt, the others were eating but not enjoyed very much. The worst main was the beef (my husband’s and mine dish) that served a slice of beef looking brown, unappealing and that was seriously over cooked. The Yorkshire pudding was raw. Not good at all.
My desert described as lemon curd Paulova consisted of what looked like a shop-bought merengue, hard to break with a spoon, with some lemon flavoured liquid on top and three blueberries. When I asked whether the Paulova needed whipped cream - thinking they had forgotten at the kitchen- I was told that yes I could get cream like if it was an addition not an intrinsic part of what the dish is (!!!)
Service was absent and showed a lack of what the dishes were, causing confusion (pull pork pate was described to us as duck pate). The table was not cleared after starters of cutlery or glasses not needed removed. Bread was from a loaf with butter hard from the fridge. I think we were left to our devices.
Please go back to the drawing board and serve honest good food with good service. And check what a Paulova is in Wikipedia before putting it in the menu!

1  Thank me_pat