“good food, great ambiance, great service.”
Review of George Inn

George Inn
Ranked #4 of 14 Restaurants in Lacock
Price range: US$9 - US$28
Cuisines: Contemporary, British, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: An iconic pub circa 1361.Home - made food, ingredients sourced locally.Great selection of well conditioned ales (up to six) and real ciders (pub features in Good Beer Guide), extensive wine list, whiskies etc.Great atmosphere, open fire place dating back to Cromwell times.Dog wheel, courtyard with stocks and wishing well. Big garden and car park. Dogs welcome at the bar.
Reviewed May 22, 2018

The waitress is great, the owner was not as friendly. Fish and chips were excellent and the dessert we had was amazing (I think it was called toffee pudding....) The location and ambiance are outstanding. Would definitely go again. I didn't care for the quinoa salad, a little too much mint for me and the spinach on top had been there too long and was a bit wilty.

Reviewed May 21, 2018

I think that the George now relies on the setting and needs to realise that there are better places to eat. My last visit was marred by poor service and inconsistent mediocre food. It would appear that Wadworths brewery who own the George have introduced semi standardised menu choices within it’s pubs and on this basis I chose the sharing butchers board having really enjoyed it at another wadworths pub. For £15.50 I got two quarters of tomato, two quarters of small pork pie, two small pieces of bread , two pieces of somewhat fatty ham, small portion of pate and a few salad leaves. Drinks service was very slow and at one point I almost gave up. I happened to mention this experience to a work colleague who had almost exactly the same experience and by chance had also had the sharing butchers board.

Reviewed May 21, 2018

We visited George Inn on 20th May 2018 as a part of coach trip to Stonehenge. We pre-ordered fish and chips. What na mistake that was! The fish was very smelly, not eatable. The staff would not take any notice of our complaints, despite untouched plates of fish and chips going back to the kitchen. The bartender was making mistakes when charging us for pre ordered, listed on a piece of paper items. His response to our compliant about the fish and chips was: We sell a lot of it everyday.

Reviewed May 11, 2018 via mobile

We had two visits to this place while we were staying in the nearby campsite once for a drink and then again for an evening meal it’s a very popular pub food is not dramatic but good I had the fish and chips and it was wonderful

Reviewed May 3, 2018

We stopped off at the George for a quick lunch, as we only wanted a sandwich; nothing too heavy. The previous pub we went to were only serving Sunday dinners. When we entered, we asked if they did sandwiches, which the reply was "no, (followed by a long pause), but we do ciabatta's" (?)
Anyway, we stayed and ordered our food, which took longer than expected as it wasn't that busy at the time. The amount of beef on my sandwich/ciabatta was minimal, 2 small slices in total, definitely needed 3 or 4 in all fairness. I understand chefs/owners/managers all have GP% targets to hit, but in all reality you'd get more meat in a sandwich from the petrol station...
The pub itself was lovely, a nice cozy atmosphere, and an interesting read about the dog-turned spit from years gone by.