“Great location but food let's it down” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre

Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Ballachulish
scotland uk
“Great location but food let's it down”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2012

Went here with my husband and dog for an overnight stay. Hotel has a great location overlooking the loch. Reception staff were friendly and we were given a patio room as requested which had direct access to ouside which was gr eat for the dog. Room appeared clean at first but there were cobwebs on the inside patio doors. food was very bland and it took thirty mins for the waiter to take our order, there wasn't enough staff to cover. would go back as the location is excellent but the food let's it down, which is a pity.

• Stayed May 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
nuggetWestHighlands, General Manager at Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre, responded to this review, 29 May 2012
Many thanks for your comments regarding your recent stay with us here at the Isles. I am pleased that you felt that the location of the Hotel was good and great for your dog and that the Reception team were friendly. I am sorry that there were some cobwebs in your room and have passed your comments onto my housekeeping team. We do dust every day, but given our location and the area of bushes and grass surrounding the Hotel, we can dust and de-cobweb one minute to have them back again in no time.
I am sorry that you felt that the food was bland. We do receive very good feedback regarding both dinner and breakfast so I am disappointed that this was not the case for you. I have passed your comments onto my Kitchen team who work extremely hard to ensure that all meals are flavoursome and appealing.
I hope that should you decide to stay again that you will sample our meals again and enjoy them next time.

Tracy Mackintosh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
  • Polish first
Marlborough, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2012

On our arrival we were told you cannot eat in our restaurant as we have a wedding. We had been travelling all day and didn't really want to have to venture out to find somewhere to eat, also due to the location of the hotel the area is very remote with little choice on offer elsewhere.we were directed to a local pub but it would appear that everyone else had been sent there to. Why can't the hotel inform you upon booking that the restaurant is unavailable? why can't they offer a pre-order system? it would appear they want you to pay top prices for a bed but are not interested in any other service. On our return from the local pub some 3 hours later due to the pub being extremly busy we thought we we have a drink in the conservatory and enjoy the the wonderful view of the loch, only to be told you can't sit there we are about to lay the tables for breakfast! all in all very disapointed, won't stay again.

Room Tip: loch view beautiful, don.t have room on ground floor as people walk by and can see straight in.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us here at the Isles. I am sincerely sorry that you had not been advised when booking that we had a wedding on in the Hotel. We do try to cater for as many guests as possible when we have a wedding on, but we are sometimes limited as to the space we have and we have to give priority to those guests who had booked on a dinner inclusive basis.
I have taken your comments regarding sitting in the conservatory on your return as I am sure that they setting of the tables could have waited until later in the evening to allow our guests to enjoy the view.
Should you wish to reconsider your decision not to stay with us again, please do contact me direct on 01855 812220 or e-mail me at gm.glencoe@akkeronhotels.com and I would be delighted to talk with you.

Edinburgh
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2012

Stayed here when the sister hotel (The Ballachulish) was full - I stayed there last year and loved it!

The Isles was a dissapointment - I know this one is only 3 and the other is 5 but I did expect it to be a bit better.

We arrived quite late but thankfully got a table for dinner. The resturant was busy and they seemed unable to cope. I was given one menu, my husband another but the waiter had no idea which one was the correct one. The food was mediocre at best - pre bought and heated up in the microwave I expect - hugely different to it's sister hotel where the food was excelent.

The rooms were also quite basis in comparison - decent size but of travel lodge quality.

Breakfast thankfully was quite good! And the swimming pool looked nice but I didn't have time to use it.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
nuggetWestHighlands, General Manager at Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre, responded to this review, 24 May 2012
Thank you for feedback in regards to your recent stay with us. I am sorry that your stay was not as you had hoped and that you felt that the Isles did not compare to our sister Hotel, The Ballachulish Hotel. Ourselves and The Ballachulish Hotel are two completely different hotels in our style, with the Isles being more modern and contemporary, and appealing to the family market due to our Leisure facilities. We are both 3 star Hotels.
I apologise for the mix up with your menus and have made my F&B Manager aware of your feedback. I have also fed back your comments to my Kitchen team, who are disappointed that you did not enjoy your meal. In general, feedback is very positive in relation to our food offering.
Although, I would hope that you would visit us here at the Isles again, I do feel that our sister hotel, The Ballachulish Hotel, is your preference and I hope that you will enjoy another stay there in the future.

Edinburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2012

We stayed at the Isles as part of a wee trip to celebrate a friends 40th birthday. Richard and Justin on reception were really helpful and friendly. The room was very comfortable and imaculately clean. We had a wonderful view of the loch and very nice seating area to enjoy a glass of something whilst making the most of the view! This is a great base to explore Glencoe from. We had enjoyed a cracking night at the Clachaig Inn which a local taxi arranged by the hotel took us to and from. We were all in need of a hearty breakfast the next morning and my only complaint would be that breakfast only being served until 10 pm on a Sunday is a bit limiting for those who've made the most of Saturday night!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Many thanks for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us here at the Isles. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and have passed on your thanks to Richard and Justin. I am pleased that you enjoyed your breakfast the next morning after a good night out in the area. I appreciate that after a good night out, extending breakfast on a Sunday morning would work well for some, but as we serve food all day, we have to decide when breakfast should finish and give ourselves enough time to reset the restaurant for the lunchtime and complete the tasks that need to be done as part of the shift.

Newcastle, UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012

We (2 adults, a 2 year old and an 8 month old baby) stayed in a family room in the hotel for one night to break up a long drive home. We arrived about 5pm and everything seemed OK.
There was a wedding on. We were made to feel that our presence in the bar area was not wanted - even though we were just walking through it to get to our room. Our family room was just about the wedding venue.
We put our children to sleep about 7pm, just before the wedding disco started. The noise level was incredible. There was seemingly no sound proofing and out younger child kept waking up. It wasn't just our room experiencing the noise - the family in the neighbouring rooms was also affected and we could hear their choldren crying through the walls. I spoke to the receptionist, saying that it was very noisy. He offered to move us in fairness but by then out eldest child was asleep and we didn't want to wake her. He also said he would ask the wedding to turn down their music. The wedding was due to finish about 11.30 but our children normally wake up by 5 or 6 am meaning that we would hardly get any sleep.
What annoyed us most was that this presumably is not the first wedding they have ever had, so I imagine they get lots of complaints about the noise levels.
Why rent out rooms to non-wedding part guests when that level of noise will make the rooms unbearable?
Why not install double doors to better sound proof the corridor and sounds proof glass on the galley?
I don't blame the wedding - it was their big day. The recepionist was obviously limited in what he could do as well. I blame the hotel for seemingly not caring about how a noisy event will impact on other guest's stays and not installing basic sound proofing.
I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Make sure you are not in a room near the function room used for weddings!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank MarcIsh
nuggetWestHighlands, General Manager at Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre, responded to this review, 19 May 2012
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us last week. I am disappointed that it was not as you had hoped and that you were disturbed by noise from a wedding we were hosting in the Hotel.
We do host a number of weddings in the Hotel throughout the year, with no complaints, so I do apologise that the music was too loud from the wedding. I do try to ensure that the fire doors are closed throughout the south wing of the building to muffle the music from the main restaurant as much as possible and on hindsight, it would have been better for you to have been allocated a room on the other side of the Hotel, away from the wedding taking place. I have discussed this with my Front of House manager and agreed for future that any non-wedding guests will be allocated rooms in the north wing of the Hotel.
The company are also aware that the soundproofing in the south wing of the Hotel, is not as effective as it could be and are looking into how this can be addressed, with the minimum of disruption to our guests.
My sincere apologies again and should you wish to discuss your stay further with me then please do contact me direct on 01855 812220 or e-mail me at gm.glencoe@akkeronhotels.com.

Dunoon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2012

We had a fabulous wedding and weekend with 100 very delighted guests at the Isles and couldn't have chosen a better location. General manager Tracy and all her staff couldn't have been more helpfull, pleasent, organised and proffessional on the wedding and throughout our weekend To serve 100 guests so efficiently was excellent!! the scenery and the grounds of the Hotel in our photographs are stunning. We have stayed here several times in the past years and loved everything about it, food, location, pool, and relaxation excellent!!! We would recommend this Hotel for a wedding to remember and go for their wedding package which is excellent value and their listed disco (nightowl) excellent! We had a lovely extra horse and carriage and the hotel were great with this. Thanks to everyone that helped and made our day unforgettable,. We look forward to having weekend trips in the future to this fabulous hotel Iain and Eilidh MacNiven.

Room Tip: Loch side rooms are lovely and rooms on the ground floor with opening doors on to the lawn are great...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
nuggetWestHighlands, General Manager at Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre, responded to this review, 12 May 2012
Thank you very much Iain and Eilidh for your great feedback regarding your wedding here with us at the Isles. I am delighted that everything was as you had hoped and it was very different for us to welcome the bride in a horse and carriage.
I have passed on your comments to my staff and we all look forward to welcoming you back to the Isles in the future.

York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2012

lovely hotel, with stunning views, clean and tidy rooms, nice bathrooms, only downside no lift but did manage the stairs with a bit of difficulty. Food excellent, pool quite small, changing facilities poor though could do to be improved. would go again.

Room Tip: ask for a loch view
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
nuggetWestHighlands, General Manager at Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre, responded to this review, 11 May 2012
Many thanks for your comments in relation to your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and felt that the rooms were clean and tidy and that you enjoyed your meal. We do have 21 rooms on the ground floor of the Hotel, so should you wish to stay again, please do let us know that you require a ground floor room. These rooms also afford lovely views so you would not be missing out.
Thank you for your feedback regarding the pool area. We are hoping that through time the style of the changing facilities will be changed and I have updated my manager in relation to this.

Tracy Mackintosh
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballachulish
3.4 km away
5.8 km away
Onich Hotel
Onich Hotel
#1 of 2 in Onich

Been to Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre? Share your experiences!