All reviewsalfredoin townthe ownerfruit grownshuttle serviceon site restauranthorseback riding triphard boiled eggslambhome madethe hotel offerseach morningenjoyed our stayfitz roybedroom windowtroutthe hotel is clean
Reviewed March 1, 2017 via mobile

I am not sure why,but we did not feel welcome or pampered at all. Estancia was empty when we arrived,but we got room with the view of storage shed. Internet did not work at all in four days that we were staying there and explanation was that server in town was down,but I am not so sure since we had no problems getting online there. Place is far away from El Chalten 1.5 km from main road and at least 2 km from the town welcome sign. If you don't have a car it is not a good idea to stay there,because you will get complimentary ride to and from bus station ( make sure to ask information to call them to pick you up on arrival) and than one complimentary ride in am and one pick up at 6pm. Our bus was early and we asked if we could have breakfast earlier (note it is included) but we were told that the "girl" comes at 7. We had long bus ride ahead of us and we tried to negotiate but we got coffee and cookies and when the "girl" showed up at 6:45 am Alfredo did not ask her to make a sandwich for us. We ate dinner there every night and we were shocked and disappointed that owners could not get us breakfast... During our trip in Chile and Argentina we always got breakfast earlier per request even if it was out of timeframe of general serving hours. Also warm water is a hot commodity there and one has to wait for 10 minutes under the shower to wash hair. The only reason I am giving two stars is that steak in estancias restaurant was really good!

Stayed: February 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank Ania B
Reviewed February 12, 2017

Estancia la quinta has history. It was the place where the first group who made the first ascent of the mount chalten (aka fitz roy) made their basecamp. This place has the showers with the best pressure. And if you are looking for silence there is no other place. I become friend with Alfredo when I was there climbing the fitzroy (cerro chalten) with my friend and he used to take us to town all the time. The food is amazing and the decor is awesome.

Room Tip: some room are super small. Like 22 and 24 but they are super cute
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed January 30, 2017 via mobile

Bucolic setting - a few friendly cows and a horse grazed on the grass in front of our room window. You can even bottle feed one of the calves during their 2/day feeding. Owners and staff spoke English and were friendly and helpful with planning our hiking days. They can prepare a paper bag lunch of a sub sandwich, apple, cookie, water. No wifi in the rooms and very weak in common areas. It's about a 45 min walk into town either by road or over a hill which includes the bonus of being part of a condor spotting trail that people start from the ranger station. A couple of asides: When you arrive by bus into the town you will first stop at the ranger station for a 15 min orientation (English & Spanish) and a map of the area hikes, then you're back on the bus for a brief ride into town. You have to check out the popular La Tapera Restaurant for fabulous food. I mention the following times in case they have any bearing on your decision to stay as you are out of town.
Dinner is 8-10pm - meal was good, but not great.
Breakfast/coffee is at 8-10am. Breakfast bonus' of farm fresh berries, flan and stewed rhubarb.
Shuttle: Free daily at 9am & 6pm and from/to bus depot for arrival/departure. If you request their shuttle outside those times, the cost is 200 pesos. If the owners happen to be going into town throughout the day, you can tag along for free.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed January 25, 2017 via mobile

Excellence place to stay kind and friendly hosts , family run , very quite , the food is excellent and the walk in to town is spectacular. He has contacts to get any thing you need , horse back riding etc etc I highly recommend this place

Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed December 27, 2016 via mobile

My partner and I came to Estancia La Quinta after a few exhausting days in El Calafate, and our one night stay was truly rejuvenating. We wish we would've stayed longer!

Our room, the junior double, was small but well equipped with a comfortable bed. As other reviewers said, it's not in the center of town and a taxi ride cost us AR$150 (US$10) but don't let that dissuade you. Alfredo offers rides into town at set times, or you can hike in as we did.

We ate at the restaurant one night and found it decent. I enjoyed my trout and my partner had the ribeye. The strawberry dessert was quite tasty.

Be sure to walk around the farm and meet the calves and kittens.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple