All reviews opposite the bus station fitz roy small hotel tea and cake third floor in town front desk staff top floor cozy atmosphere bed was very comfortable small town laguna capri reception area hiking trails common areas a great place to stay the main street
Reviewed February 28, 2018

Senderos Hosteria is a small hotel in a quiet location on the edge of town, but within easy walking distance of shops and restaurants. There is easy, free parking outside. Inside it is well furnished and decorated with much varnished pine in evidence. There is a small dining area and bar and a lounge area with an open fire.
As far a we were concerned, the main drawback was the size of our room, 304. The room was very small and the bed large, so there was little room for us or our suitcases. The en suite was also very small, with nowhere to put our toilet bags. However, it does have a good view of the mountains, but Mt. Fitzroy is, unfortunately, partly obscured by a phone mast. The bed was very comfortable and we experienced no noise from other rooms.
The staff was very pleasant and helpful and most spoke good English.
Breakfast was good, fresh fruit salad, cereal, toast and freshly cooked eggs were available (most mornings), plus, of course, the usual array of Argentinian pastries for your early morning sugar fix.
We ate three dinners at the Senderos. Their chef does not cook every night; the food is good when he is on duty, but otherwise very limited.
They also provide an afternoon tea (coffee, tea and cake) at extra cost.
Wifi was poor.
Would I chose Senderos again? Yes, but I would ask for a bigger room.

Room tip: Peeked inside room 302 - looked larger than our very cramped 304
Date of stay: February 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jim04y
Reviewed February 19, 2018

Arriving at Hosteria Senderos, I thought immediately, 'five stars', but one of the staff lost the hotel a star. Location is excellent. Directly across from the bus station, which made it indeed an oasis for me, having arrived by bus. It is also just across the bridge from the Parque Nacional las Glaciares visitor center. It is on the other end of town from the trail to El Chalten and Laguna Capri.

The hotel has a craftsman-like ambience, with lovely touches through out. El Chalten seemed to be a gathering place for young trekkers, much of the town had a party atmosphere. Hostreria Senderos leans more towards an older clientele. This was a blessing for me, being an older client. There is also a restaurant with quite excellent food, although the choices are somewhat limited. Not surprising, considering where you are.

The toiletries were adequate, actually a good hair conditioner, a rarity for hotels. There is limited charging spots, only one outlet in Bedroom. Breakfast was standard for Argentina, cold cereals, meats, sweets and fruit. Hot options are available, but you have to ask, they don't advertise it. I only learned by watching others.

So, what about lost the star?The hotel serves tea in the afternoon. I went out for a cup of tea, and misread the sign. It said "refills free", I thought it said tea free. Not the pastries of course. So, I made a cup of tea and went to sit down. In swooped an employee, who treated me as if I had just stolen the crown jewels. Please, a two dollar (!) cup of tea. A simple, kind, explanation would have sufficed. That just put me off, and I was uncomfortable for the rest of my stay. I also considered $2 for tea a bit steep (no pun intended). Still, remember where you are. Not an easy place to supply.

I had a room on the ground floor, close to the reception area. This was convenient for meals and etc., but could pose a noise problem. Also, no view.

Room tip: Upper floor for a view
Date of stay: November 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank gemswinc
Reviewed February 7, 2018

Our stay in El Chalten was enhanced by our two nights here. The staff were excellent at all times; the room was spacious and clean, with a very comfortable bed; and breakfast was pretty good by Patagonian standards.
The only reason that I'm not awarding the full five stars is the level of noise, partly external (including what appears to be a generator quite close by - arguably outside the hotel's control) but also from other adjoining rooms due to the walls being too thin, which is/was within their control.

Date of stay: January 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank One_of_the_BOFs
Reviewed January 15, 2018

We are a family of four that stayed at the Hosteria Senderos over the holiday. The rooms were small, clean and perfect for sleeping and bathing! We also appreciated that we had a refrigerator in one of our rooms and a big closet with a safe that allowed us to store all of our hiking gear. The staff was extremely friendly, helpful and knowledgeable about the trails and weather. The hotel did provide breakfast that included meats, cheeses, breads, pastries, cereal, juices, milk and coffee. We also ordered the sack lunches to take along with us while hiking. They included a huge sandwich of your choice, fruit, cookie, granola bar, candy and water. We also had the hotel do up some laundry which was much needed! The hotel is right across from the bus station and the ATM in town.

Date of stay: December 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed January 11, 2018 via mobile

We found this to be a really good base from which to explore the area around El Chalten. It’s close to good bars and restaurants, the only ATM in town and to the trail heads leading up to the miradores from the visitor centre. There are views of Fitzroy from some rooms and from outside where there is a seating place on the grass. Inside the rooms are nice, there is a good restaurant open from 7pm and a lovely cosy lounge with a wood fire. The rooms are warm and have all you need except the WiFi which is mostly terrible! The only other aspect about the hotel that isn’t great is the breakfast which could easily be better (the scrambled eggs are freshly cooked for you and good though). The staff are very friendly and helpful and bilingual.

Date of stay: January 2018