I'm so pleased that we read the reviews and chose El Ombu estancia over any other ranch in the San Antonio de Areco area. We chose to do a day trip as we were staying in the town nearby and as budget travellers couldn't stretch to stay the night, as amazing as it would have been.
We made the reservation the day before with the lovely owner Eva on the phone and she told us to be there the next day around 11am. We caught a taxi there from San Antonio de Areco (about 13 kms away) and as soon as we drove down the driveway we felt like we had been transported back in time.
El Ombu is a gorgeous, well-maintained, charming, much loved and traditional estancia. The grounds are immaculate, the staff are delightful (although not all speak English) but still smile and make you feel welcome even if they cannot converse with you. They all seem to really enjoy working at El Ombu which is evident in their attitude towards and patience with tourists.
When we arrived and had been shown around, we sat in the sun and were provided with drinks and empanadas (included in the cost) and when we were ready we were led to the horses which were already saddled up ready to go. They had horses that were suited for nervous first time riders, to experienced riders and everything in between. They even had a carriage for those that want to go on the trek but are too nervous/old to ride.
We had a lovely ride around the ranch and for those of us that were experienced the gauchos were all too happy to let us go for a trot or canter as we wanted to.
After the ride it was time for our traditional BBQ lunch on the deck of the lovely main building and the gauchos came around to serve up each table whilst the charming old gaucho Oscar played guitar in the background.
It was then time for the gaucho show on the grass and we got to see an amazing display of horsemanship by the gauchos. At the end of the show when the horse was lay on the ground with the gaucho we were allowed to sit next to it for photos - amazing!
At this time, around 4pm the day trippers from Buenos Aires headed back to their busses and Eva assured me that we were welcome to stay as long as we liked. So we walked around the grounds and sat by the wonderful infinity pool before ordering another drink and some pastry snacks. No one minded that we were still there past 6pm and it was a very heavy heart that I had to leave.
A huge thank you to Eva, and her gauchos Oscar, Javier and the other young man that helped us on 28th March (I have forgotten his name sorry) and please pass on my thanks to them all. I hope to see you again in the not too distant future and hopefully I will be staying at least one night this time!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Recreational activities: Guests can go horse back riding throughout the 300-hectare estancia accompanied by gauchos, enjoying the Pampa with its birds and animals and observing the cattle grazing or feeding their young or wander around the park among the ancient trees and scented flowers. There are several horse rides during the day.They last 1 hour or 1 hour and a half aprox. If you prefer longer or shorter rides, it can be arranged at the estancia. We have horses for both beginners and experienced ridersWe also offer rides in a sulky with a Gaucho driver for those not wishing to ride horses, and bird watching. There are several bycicles available that one can use to get to the river inside the estancia.We have a play room with games and a billard table, soccer and volleyball field And if it´s hot enough, two large swimming ools. Also a game room featuring a fireplace for winter, pool table, ping-pong, foosball, and various board games for children and adults. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Estancia El Ombu de Areco reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Estancia El Ombu De Areco Hotel San Antonio De Areco
- Estancia El Ombu De Areco Argentina/San Antonio De Areco