See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed May 30, 2014

I wish I saw these reviews before we agreed to stay with Martin and his wife Anita. Martin seemed nice once you agreed and payed him money and then.... We spend three nights and we found our room without sheets, I asked politely to have sheets in our room but they never got delivered after 4hours of waiting, and owners no where to be found, I found clean and dry sheets hanging outside and did my own bed. Owners appeared right away and told us that we took the wrong sheets. They do not provide towels, neither toilet paper. Room was ok, it was not in the main house. They have kitchen that Anta opens whenever she likes, and hates to be asked to open it at 8am. They told us to remove our shoes, when we enter the main house and the kitchen but I never saw them cleaning it. There were dead cockroaches laying in dining area (for all three days we stayed there) and some running in the kitchen over the dishes. They lay newspaper on the floor in the kitchen so they didn't have to clean the floor.
The best part was the last day. Martin came and told us that we need to leave at 11am because the plain comes early and leaves at 11:45. We knew it wasn't true and soon we find out why he lied. While we were in the dining he unlocked our room with his keys and removed sheets from the bed and garbage. But we were sitting right there, he should have asked for our permission, and not to do what he wants.
He also drives to the airport ever time to bring new people and he said that we will walk on our own.
Another thing, a young man that lives with them (probably a son) smokes "something" behind the house with his friends (bellow our windows) then giggles with his friends and walks home all dozed.
By all means avoid this place.

Room Tip: Nothing is good here.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank vilijatau
Reviewed December 17, 2012

We didn´t book in advance and met Martin at the airport. I compared the prices of different accomodations, he was cheapest and much cheaper than I expected in Easter Island. We paid the price of a budget hostel, but with private bath.

The room was quite big, not very nice, but ok. I agree with other people that it was not very clean, but one reason is, that the windows are open all the time and a lot of dust is coming in, what can't be avoided. And the floor is white, so you can see every footprint.

The problem is, that nobody cleans the rooms during your stay. On the third day the floor was so dirty, that I decided to clean it on myself! You also have to put your rubbish away, ask for toilet-paper and new towels, but you get what you want immediately. To put it together: There is no roomservice at all.

The kitchen is very small and crowded, so it's difficult to cook.

But we couldn't share the bad experiences with Martin: He was always friendly and helpfull.

What wasn´t mentioned in other posts: There is a beautiful terrace with a tropical garden, where you can sit in the evening (or during the day). Anita cleans the floor every morning (!!!) and puts flowers on the tables.

"Martin y Anita" is not a hotel, it's a budget hostel. That was what we paid for and we were very confident.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Carola H
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Got "traped" by Martin at the airport by showing nice pictures of his B&B. For what you get it is way to expencive. You finde much better places for less. The room was not clean, the bathroom nothing you wanted to use. He has wifi but it was almost usless.
I swichted to another much much cleaner, better AND cheaper B&B.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank mrjamal
Reviewed October 9, 2011

Once u r @ the island, Martin will show his abusing powers, remeber, u there are NOT more than Five flights a week, so u can b trap by him....islinders do not accept foreign investment, so they have their owns rules....avoid Martin y Anita, the guy a psyco...

• Stayed: February 2011
7  Thank Monoacasias
Reviewed July 29, 2011

For context - I only needed a place for one night while waiting for a friend to arrive a day later. I arrived without a reservation, and Martin was the first to catch my attention. He quoted a price that was within my budget so I said yes.

Right away he gave a "city tour" which was helpful in pointing out the important places. He recommended a empanada stand (down by the port next to the soccer fields) where I ended up eating everyday - which was helpful. He speaks decent English (and supposedly 8 other languages).

The room, however, left a lot to be desired. The walls were thin, no towels were provided, the hot water was inconsistent. There was a left-over bar of soap. I came in July so I didn't use the A/C, but it looked busted. Breakfast was 4 slices of toast.

When my friend arrived the next day, Martin helped me to get back into the arrivals hall. (I promised that we would consider his place for the length of our stay.) We ended up staying elsewhere - although paying more. I feel like it was generally worth it though.

One initial attraction to Hotel Martin y Anita for me was that the place had WiFi. I didn't use it, so I cannot comment on price, speed, etc.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo