See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed June 3, 2015

I went to Puerto Ordaz with my family and decided to stay at this hotel. Years ago, it was part of the Intercontinental brand, but it was expropriated by the Venezuelan government. The location is amazing, on the banks of the Caroni river, with great views to La Llovizna park. But, views are only a small portion of the package.

Rooms need urgent renovation. They look like the hotel got stuck in the early 90's. Bed linens and carpets had stains, and bathrooms are in bad shape. The hotel only has 1 operating elevator, and the food is expensive and not-so-good quality.

Pool was out of service, filled with "green" water.

I decided this was my first and last stay at this hotel.

Room tip: Amazing views to the Caroni river and La Llovizna park. I stayed at room 441
Date of stay: May 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank LibardoSalazar
Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

I went to puerto ordaz last Thirsday. Well, it is some how far from the air port. Next to cachamay park. And it outlooks a nice waterfall. It has a pool which is rarely used by the travellers. The bar and restaurant offer nice food and drink with very reasonable price. However the waiters are too serious and not very welcoming.They hardly smile or even talk to you. The elevator didnt work and we had to use the staff elevator which was too shabby and old. There us a shop which offers shirts & shorts and souveniors and lotions with very reasonablr price.the reception was just ok. But they dont give you the room until3pm. And if they do they will charge you. It takes quite a while for taxis to get there so you need to call at least15minutes before you come to the outdoor area. You can get a boat tour from an agency inside the hotel . It leaves at about3pm. It is worth the money. About 450 bolivares per person. It takes you to the falls where you can swim and get a little wet. There was no hot water in the room.so we could not take a shower.the rooms have a nice view to a waterfall and the pool.
The breakfast was nothing special.some warm food and the traditional butter and jam But try the omlettes.they were great.

Date of stay: March 2014
2  Thank maria A
Reviewed February 13, 2014

After a long flight from Belgium we were welcomed with a smile. Former intercontinental hotel but now owned by the government. Clean large rooms but in need of renovation. Considering what we have seen on our trip this is probable one of the better hotels. Very friendly hard working staff. Breakfast was plenty and buffet diner good. Nice view on the Hydro power waterfall.

Date of stay: January 2014
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Great Location : The hotel Overlooks the Llovizna Waterfall, the Cachamay and The Llovizna Natural Parks which is a great way to wake up in the morning. The Restaurants were excellent both Breakfast and Dinner were excellent and the staff could not be faulted as they made my 8 day stay good. The bedrooms were a good size and clean and although had an older look than most 5 stars were good. The laundry was the cheapest I have ever paid for which was refreshing as most of the time its cheaper to buy new clothes.

But : This Hotel was owned by Intercontinental but was one of the hotels taken back by the government and there are some operational issues that need sorting. There are two elevators and one of which was not working at all for the entire stay which made the wait for the single elevator long especially when the hotel was full.
The hot water and internet were great when working but I never had them working on the same day, one day internet in the room the next hot water. Not sure how these are connected but when I finally got frustrated with the cold shower in the morning and really complained I was moved the room next door but lost the internet for the rest of my stay.
If these operational issues got resolved I would recommend without hesitation but until then with caution

Date of stay: October 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank go2mike
Reviewed July 28, 2009

This hotel is very well located. Overlooks the Llovizna Waterfall, the Cachamay and The Llovizna Natural Parks.
Outside needs some painting. We first booked a standard room with no view. It was terrible, so we asked for a better room and they gave us a recently renovated one with a good view . This room was cleaner and better maintained than the first one.
Slow service at the reception and the restaurant.
Breakfast was good.