“Beautiful ”
Review of Baie de Jinek

Ranked #4 of 11 things to do in Lifou
Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

The bay is so lovely! The water is beautiful and the amount of fish is great! The locals actually respect what they have and they don’t just let any Tom, Dick and Harry into the water. If your traveling with the cruse ships I suggest buying your entry tickets before boarding the ship as there is a limit of 200 people aloud to swim there at any one time. If you don’t book with enough time you will miss out!

All reviews
"damaging"
"eco"
"reef"

Reviewed April 1, 2018

We have been coming here for a number of years now and just love that you can snorkel on the reef so close to the shore. There is now a charge of $15 to use the bay and I have no quarrel with that if they can keep the bay in good condition and if it helps the locals to that, great.
Also snorkelled on the beach next to the P&O wharf and there was a large number of turtles feeding there and it was so amazing just to float and watch them peacefully do their thing

1  Thank Denise M
Reviewed March 9, 2018 via mobile

We booked through the cruise line and glad we did as they sold out. We had a 8 and 4 year old with us so they only stayed in the shallows, but still were able to see some coral and fish so they were happy. But by far, the most amazing views are further out. So many different types of fish, all colors and sizes in beautiful clear water. Highly recommend doing this activity.

Reviewed January 29, 2018

I am so fortunate to have stumbled upon this as i was not informed on the cruise ship. I saw the quaint church perched alone on a high hill point overlooking the ocean and had walked up there. Well worth it by the way. From there I could see this bay on the opposite side of the island from where the cruise ship was anchored.
I decided to walk there on my way back and wow ! Paid the small fee for entry and mask/snorkel and entered the most beautiful place I've ever snorkeled. Full disclosure, I have been to just a handful of snorkeling spots around the world. Nonetheless, in talking to other visitors who obviously had been to many of the worlds best reefs, they were all saying this is one, if not the best, places they have gone. Wonderful variety of corals along with beautiful fish

1  Thank Flyfreemark
See more reviews
Reviewed January 22, 2018 via mobile

My wife and I spent a day here snorkelling while on cruise in the South Pacific. We have been to the outer barrier reef off Port Douglas many times and are used to some pretty spectacular scenery. When we read some of the reviews saying that the Baie de Jinek was just as good, we arrived with big expectations. And we were not disappointed!

You walk to the dock, pay the best 15 dollars of your life, jump into the water and you are in the midst of the finest coral reef that you will see in your lifetime. It just blew us away with the clarity of water, the diversity of fish, and the assortment of coral species. I would recommend a wetsuit as this is mid-ocean water and it can be cool any time of year.

Believe the hype! This is one of the finest reefs in the world and it is right on the beach. If you get to Lifou, don't miss Baie de Jinek!

2  Thank saltycroc