“best place in kisumu”
Review of Kiboko Bay Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kisumu
Kiboko Bay Resort
Ranked #3 of 26 Hotels in Kisumu
Reviewed 22 April 2012

a very famous n best place in kisumu..with a wonderful view of lake victoria..calm place with very fresh air and a great view. Food is good with the great management. cottages are clean and nice.
i havent stayed there but spent an evening with my friends. perfect place to hangout. As per me there were only two best places in kisumu ..the club at nehru road and the kiboko resort.. must visit for kisumu visitors.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Lalbahadur

Reviewed 12 April 2012

Visited Kiboko bay for tea and dinner.Finding your way here is a herculean task given its location right in the middle of unplanned dwellings with minimum road signs even for the hotel.Local residents otherwise very helpful in guiding.Awesome location and premises, nice looking tents-will check on them later.Enjoyed the garden, awesome sunset,lakeside seating on rocks, tea and a great dinner. Patrons taking boat rides seemed to be having a ball.Wry sense of humour at the pool -"my 'ool' has no 'p' so don't 'p' in my pool!)
My disappointment-Service was simply so dull.We were informed so rudely of the fact that they couldn't serve tea from the pool bar after six-no problem but a little courtesy goes a long way in delivering the same message. Had an instance where one service lady literally shouted at a client that the toilet is out of order from across the room!This mediocre service was repeatedly shown entire evening except one waiter who got a 5 star rating from the entire group for his courtesy, advise and demeanor.
For such a strategic and prime location, our groups view was that it is quite underutilized, especially spaces that maximize the lakeside views-garden seating etc.Did not get a reasonable answer why the jetty and seating space was sealed off....could make a superb place for enjoying the lake/sunset. An effort could be made to spruce up the entrance &parking which feels as if it is a flow of the surrounding housing chaos until you are literally inside the hotel.
Kiboko bay-fair enough you can do much better.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 April 2012

I wasn't sure what to expect driving up to Kiboko Bay Resort - the area of town was a little iffy, but I must say, I was VERY pleasantly surprised! The staff at Kiboko Bay were very friendly and helpful, the tent/cabins were simple, but clean and comfortable and well appointed (refrigerators, fans, safes, nice bathroom/shower, and very comfortable bed), and each tent has a "front porch" all effectively enclosed and screened in to prevent mosquito problems. The view of Lake Victoria is beautiful, and there are boats for hire right there at the resort which provide 1 or 2 hour tours of the lake, complete with bird watching and hippo sightings. The guides are skilled and knowledgeable about the lake and its environment. Its a truly Kenyan experience complete with a leak in the boat, but these guides know what they are doing, and I would do it again in a heartbeat - we even had our children with us. The food was good, and the fish was very tasty (if you like fish). I would visit Kiboko Bay Resort again, and would highly recommend it as well.

Room Tip: There are a few tents with better lake views than others.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Julie T
Reviewed 22 March 2012

Having stayed at Kiboko regularly over last two years it is time to write a review and share my experience.

kiboko is just 3Km outside Kisumu past the Impala Sanctuary and approached through Dunga village. The experience of being woken by the birdlife to me is far preferable than the early deliveries and sounds in the center of Kisumu.

There are 10 'tented' rooms at Kiboko all clean with comfortable bed and shower, most rooms are double and have basic facilities and an outside veranda protected by netting.

The location is spacious and attracts many of the local residents visiting the restaurant where the food is simple but fresh and excellent - ask Rudy to recommend for you that day.

Other residents are the Kiboko (Hippo) who may appear at night to graze on the lawn between the tents - these are fairly solid and raised, this is a great experience although you may want an escort back to your room if you have taken pombe kidogo to drink.

So in summary, location is great, views over the lake are fantastic, sunset seems to silence everyone and the food excellent.

Personally I have stayed at many hotels in town and this is my first choice.

Room Tip: All the same, Bungalow has big bed kitchenette and large bathroom but not the same experience as und...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Guilfybear
Reviewed 16 March 2012

I have eaten at the Kiboko Bay resort restaurant many times. Inside, outside by the lake and by the pool. The food is good. Not amazing and not bad. Inside has a nice atmosphere and a slightly swanky feel which is nice in Kisumu. If you sit outside you have a nice view of the lake.

Nice: Once I said i wanted something for a local friend and the chef made a fish dish that was not on the menu.... My friend LOVED it.

Not so nice: The last time I went (11/2011) they had a wedding going on. So, we could only sit by the pool and had to interrupt the waiters (who were fighting) in order to place an order or get drink refills. They actually yelled at each other right beside our table.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 February 2012

A fantastic safari feel whilst still being close enough to Kisumu to do business and be in town early in the morning. A great atmosphere, probably the only place I would stay in Kisumu.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 January 2012

I just cannot say enough great things about this hotel. It is truly amazing. Especially being able to stand safely on your own porch at night while a huge hippo is happily grazing just a few feet away. I can't imagine too many other places give you that kind of experience. By far the best place I've stayed at in Kisumu. I love Kiboko Bay Resort and only stay elsewhere when they are fully booked (they only have 10 rooms). The staff are fantastic and will go out of their way to accomodate even the strangest of requests.

If all you are interested in is watching TV and using hotel WiFi, this isn't the place as they don't have it but I didn't miss it and I don't think you will either (you will be watching the lake and going for boat rides etc instead)

Room Tip: All rooms are the same except Room 10 which is not a tent but a proper building. I loved the tents...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple