“Disgusting food”

Price range: US$4 - US$10
Cuisines: Seafood, Bar, Pub
Good for: View
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Sea Gypsy Cafe is one of the most unique places that you will ever visit. We are situated on the water our oysters are hanging from a pole alive in the sea. We offer a warm friendly and welcoming experience. Great food good value. We offer not only seafood but also meats, chicken, vegetarian meals as well as burgers, toasties and pastas. Takeaways can be placed over the phone and delivered by delivery extreme. A shuttle service is also available if required at no extra cost to and from the shop. Come and join us we are people that care. Hope to see you soon. Kind regards Colin and Team.
Reviewed March 30, 2018

Good views, nice service but disgusting food.
You can go for some drinks but do not you dare to eat anything!!

Colin735, Owner at Sea Gypsy Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2018

Wow. Thank you for your review. Regards Colin.

Reviewed March 23, 2018 via mobile

I took my Mum for lunch. Being right at the sea we were expecting lovely fresh seafood. Ordered the hake & calamari. Definitely not fresh, definitely disappointed

Colin735, Owner at Sea Gypsy Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2018

Thank you for your review. Regards Colin.

Reviewed March 13, 2018 via mobile

Oh dear Oh dear...

Annual visit to MB from UK as we have a house here... Usually go here 3 or 4 times during our visit...Not anymore..
Food very average... service not great...And i ordered the 20 rands per prawns dish which was a complete rip off!! 8 prawns (160 rands worth) arrived..Hardly large. Id asked for them in garlic butter but arrived in covered in some red die with cold not cooked chips and a salad the size of a match box ( iam not joking) and a salad being bits if chopped lettuce thats it!! And to finish off my 5th guests meal of hake and chips arrived 30 minutes after everyone elses main course!!
Cooks need more supervision/training plus no sign of any management all evening ..TOTAL DISASTER and waste of money

Colin735, Owner at Sea Gypsy Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2018

Thank you for your review. Colin.

Reviewed March 10, 2018

Ate here last night after a nasty experience at kaai4 just down the road .- we left without eating - Sea gypsy couldn’t have been more different a very friendly waiter (Jon Jon ) greeted us chatted for a short while and then took our order very efficiently , he later , completely unrequested brought us some leaflets of things to do in Mossel Bay , what a nice guy his colleague Veronique was equally pleasant when serving our meal which was excellent , maybe the owner of kaai should send his cash desk person up the road to sea gypsy for some staff training .

Colin735, Owner at Sea Gypsy Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2018

Great job Jon Jon. Thank you for your kind review. Regards Colin and Team.

Reviewed March 9, 2018 via mobile

My wife and I first visited in February for a late lunch. I ordered the chicken schnitzel with mushroom sauce (it arrived with cheese sauce) and my wife had the chicken salad. Both were very tasty so I only mentioned the sauce at the end because I was not that bothered. Second time we went I was offered the special which was a T Bone steak with calamari and my wife had the burger. This time I remembered to ask for no seasoning on the chips as I hate the stuff! They duly arrived without seasoning but the steak had a horrible gravy over it which was never asked for. The waitron’s comment on that was that I should have requested no gravy??? The calamari was also very oily and a bit rubbery.
The waitron was actually really nice and there was some banter going on, however I give marks primarily for the food, hence the lower score. It does not reflect on the waitron.

Colin735, Owner at Sea Gypsy Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2018

Thank you for your review. We use a basting sauce on all grilled meat products. Not gravy. Regards Colin.