“Great value hotel with excellent staff.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Aston Balikpapan Hotel & Residence

Aston Balikpapan Hotel & Residence
Ranked #2 of 35 Hotels in Balikpapan
London
“Great value hotel with excellent staff.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

My Dad and I stayed here on our way back to London, after a diving holiday in Berau.

We'd booked 2 executive rooms on hotels.com. When we checked in, we were shown to our rooms in no time at all. My father 'a room was fine, but mine stank of cigarettes - even though I'd requested a non smoking room.

I rang down to change rooms and they said they'd run out of non smoking deluxe rooms, so would upgrade me to a superior room.

Great service. However, I had in fact, paid and booked for the higher category executive room.

They quickly moved my Dad and I to the correct category room (although I think their system showed we'd booked the lower category room).

The deluxe rooms were perfectly adequate, with a sofa and desk in the room, complete with kitchenette area.
The executive room was very large with a separate lounge / dinning room just off the kitchenette. There were two bedrooms and two bathrooms - making this a great option if you're travelling with friends. There was also a water cooler which was very welcomed with the heat!

There were 3 separate air conditioning units; one in the lounge and then one in each of the bedrooms,

The shower was powerful with plenty of hot water.

The restaurant in the hotel was good, with well priced food. However, the red wine was very hot and exceptionally overpriced (but think it's the Indonesian tax as opposed to the hotel)

The swimming pool is a decent size and is in a great spot looking down onto the sea.

The wi fi reception was good and it was refreshing for it to be free.

The staff were very friendly and helpful and I would definitely recommend it to anyone overnighting.

• Stayed April 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
Paris
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

I never do it before, but after 6 months in Aston I'm here to write my first review ever.
Aston is very bad experience for me. It's 2 star hotel, my opinion!
I' ve lived there 6 months, so:
Very dirty, oily stains on furniture and on the doors.
They told that apartment is new.
ACE didn't work good, leaking on the floor and sofa, they tried to fix it, but nothing.
Also, light under ACE didn't work and they didn’t fix it.
To little light in apartment.
When you turn on all lights in apartment in the evening you can’t see nothing under bad or sofa, it's dark.
Terrible installation-ACE box leaking also on the small balcony and all water from ACE and rain going into the walls and floor and floor was going up.
Wallpapers in apartment because of water come off.
Crazy architect put wallpapers and mirrors above sink and stove in kitchen!
Imagine how it looks when you cooking or washing dishes!
Also smells from sink hole.
Windows disgusting, you can't clean it outside, only inside.
It looks like you live in hothouse.
Also big problem with small holes in walls and floor, because bugs, sorry not bugs cockroach coming from walls, from other empty rooms and apartmanes.
They told that they cleaned my apartment before I moved in.
I had three holes under my bad, one in bathroom and under sofa I don't know how many, because I couldn't move it.
When I moved in I found one dead cockroach under fridge.
After that , 2 under my bed and 1 on the cabinet alive, not dead…etc. all around…
I ordered a “cleaning service “ to clean my apartment again and they cleaned nothing.
They finished after 20 minutes. They don’t understand what means CLEANING.
They didn't move my bad and clean under the bed, they didn’t clean under sofa, disgusting...1 cm of dust!......I did it myself, 6 months.
Few times in the evening I saw rats running in lobby and near pool.
Only good thing in Aston was carbonara.
But I can do it better, so...
In front of hotel evry day one man is working as a bag checker.
That guys are very unpleasant.
Every time when I went outside or coming to hotel, always the same questions: where are you going, where have you been, what did you buy (if I had shop bag), where is your woman, you like ice cream?…WTF! What about my privacy????That’s not his business! His business is to say good morning, good afternoon and welcome and check my language, not to ask me when I’m at home and when I’m not at home and what I will cook.
I paid 6 months rental in advance 42 000 000 IDR + deposit 5 000 000 IDR + 1 330 200 IDR water and electricity /per month(= 6 months= 7 981 200 IDR)+ 333 000 IDR for TV/per month(=6 months=1 998 000 IDR).
All that for what? Stress.
When I told to Aston agent Eka that I'm not satisfied with my apartment and that I want new apartment , she just said that they don't have practice to offer other apartment! WTF!!?
For me? Aston goodbye and sleep well with all that cockroach and rats!
That’s not how one should work in this business

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank ParisBluemoon
Aston B, Public Relations Manager at Aston Balikpapan Hotel & Residence, responded to this review, 14 March 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience. However, your concern and complaints are sent to the wrong company. As you may not notice, the tower where you currently stay are not managed by Aston International but by Grand Sudirman Property Management since August 2011. We are not responsible anymore with that part of the property since they took over the management. You can contact Mr. Riduan or Mr. Satar from the company directly. I have left a message to your inbox and also sent your compliance to them. Please do check again before you post something that harms other people's reputation.

Travellers are raving about these Balikpapan hotels

Emerald, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

A very tidy hotel located on the shores Whilst I wouldn't swim in the sea the hotel pool is great and has a view of the ocean and all the commercial traffic.

The traffic on the street is similar to other busy asian seaside cities, a thousand scooter, motorbikes and crazy taxi drivers.

Overall nice place to stay, friendly staff and clean rooms and enjoyable meals.

Cheers

Brad

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Tangerang, Indonesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

I got an upgrade for my first staying in this hotel. The hotel is very nice, good location, and also great seaview. Service was excellent.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank RudyK3
Astbalikpapan, Public Relations Manager at Aston Balikpapan Hotel & Residence, responded to this review, 26 February 2012
Dear Pak Rudy, thank you for your nice review and for your loyal patronage to our Aston Hotels. Glad you enjoyed your stay and yes we like to surprise our guests who book directly on our website by giving complimentary room upgrade whenever available. As a way to say thanks to guests just like yourself we have also launched the Best Price Guarantee with all of our over 45 hotels across Indonesia - check it out online. We hope to have you visit one of our hotels again soon.
Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2011

we stayed 2 nights in seaview condotel (with 3 bedroom), clean, easy acces to city center, and great view.

Room Tip: choose a seaview room, try the swimming pool, and don't forget to try the donut when breakfast.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
Jakarta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2011

I've already stay in here twice, and there are many thing improved well. First time I stay was amazing, they upgrade my room from Superior to Deluxe one.. its a very big room with two TV inside and they have a good view at night, facing the city instead I really want to get a sea view.

The Breakfast was changed with many variate of menu and serve with a very good presentation there. as usual, I'm feel like stay in my home because the staff friendly and give a warm services.

I'm still hope that Aston Balikpapan could give a free airport transfer because its quite expensive for taxi in Balikpapan. I've an email yesterday, they have a free shuttle service to go to place of interest and shopping center in Balikpapan. well done guys! but why only on weekend.. :(

The security is very tight in checking all our luggage, even from entrance gate. it quite annoying but I believe this is the most safe place to stay. Security camera every where, and i think in my room there are 4 water sprinkle.. is that too much? yes I think..

Anyway, I'll come again to stay in Aston Balikpapan. like they slogan, My Home at Balikpapan..

Room Tip: If you want a good view, just ask to their staff for request..! They are helpful. and don't forg...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Rizky P
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2011

I have had some bad experiences with Aston group hotels. They tend to be poorly finished and poorly managed even though they are new and clean for the most part.

Balikpapan Aston was good. Room was good sized. We paid $88 for slightly larger room. Food was average but acceptable. Coffee cups were absurdly small!

A lot of expats in hotel/apartment complex. Good options for food within walking distance. Having previously stayed at Novotel I would choose Novotel if price were the same and I was only staying 1 night. If I needed to stay a few nights then Aston is the best bet! Next time I will bring my own coffee mug!

Odd room design with 2 TV that both come on with same remote.

• Stayed October 2011