“Avoid it if you can!”

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Avoid it if you can!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2012

Terrible from the start.

Arrived around 7:30pm. My son was hungry as he didn't like what we had for dinner. So when I got to the hotel, I asked the elderly man at the check-in counter about room service and he didn't understand me. The younger man did, but he said "I don't know". I gave him a chance to redeem himself and asked again. He replied "I don't know. Go to restaurant to find out". Terrible service! Can't he picked the phone up???????

So I went to the restaurant and couldn't find anybody. So I went up to my room to join my son and hubby.

Oh yes, the room that my SIL was assigned to had no bed and literally broken toilet. After much time, they were given another room.

The room. Great warm floor. Uncomfortable bed. Basic rusty bathroom. No free tea/coffee.

Anyway, I couldn't find any room service menu though there is supposed to be one. Went to reception again and was asked to go to the restaurant myself again.

Menu selection is bad!!!!! (oh yes there were people working this time). The guy handling the order and restaurant desk is friendly but almost zero English. But he was really nice to create a side dish for me (french fries) without having to order a main course. Menu selection is very poor. Considering they get busloads of tourists here stopping for a night, I don't see why they cannot expand on it. At least have brewed coffee/tea and fruits on the menu.

Breakfast selection very limited and just ok.

I would never want to stay in this place again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Ana R

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Laguna Niguel
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2011

This hotel is pretty outdated. Built in the 70s... I don't think they have upgraded this hotel since. There is a warning notice about possible bugs in the rooms (These bugs only live in the mountains and they sometimes come in when housekeepers clean the rooms. Don't worry they are nothing like cockroaches... these bugs only live in clean places, I heard. Not harmful to humans). I have encountered two beetle type of bugs in my room.

Bathroom had mold all over the ceiling. I felt dirtier after taking a shower here.
Keyes to the rooms are outdated, only get one per room.

I give three stars because of its proximity to Seorak Mountain as well as for this hotel's manager who is very polite and friendly. He's a hard worker who tries to maintain this hotel that's falling apart.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank SeonM
Pyeongtaek, South Korea
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2011

We traveled here Columbus day weekend with our two young children. This hotel has great potential to be a grand place and the staff was friendly. I would describe it as a cross between a haunted hotel and one you'd see in Gatlinburg in the 70s. The rooms were small but adequate and seemed clean. The furniture was very old. The beds were springy and flat. There were water spots all over the ceiling. However the view from the balcony was beautiful. The Western Restaurant did not serve anything I would consider Western. Their website shows a convenient store with fresh produce. They have snacks but no produce. The casino area was very dark with slot machines covered in dust. There was something going on behind closed doors in the casino, but they wanted to copy our Passports to enter so we refused(it looked shady) The location is very good if you are driving but I would suggest the Sorak Tourist hotel if you want to step right out to hiking the park and food options. The Kennsington Hotel looked to be the nicest hotel in the area. I highly recommend Waterpia waterpark close by. It is indoor/outdoor. The water was heated outdoors.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Sokcho hotels

Singapore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2010

Frankly speaking, I booked this hotel last year before I join this trip advisor today and neither did I read any reviews abt it prior to my reservations and stay. Read on for my incident.

One of the best point is the location to the Sorak National Park was convenient. Only bus 7 directly one way in and so not easy to get lost. When we arrived at the hotel we marvelled at the grand entrance and the superbly big lobby. Staff was friendly and they greeted us everytime we passed by.

We went in winter season and it seems off-peak, so they upgrade us from the double room to a twin room that could fit 4pax for 2 of us. Spacious and a balcony with good view. Furnishing and carpet was a little old but still can do, the heater works well too. Off we went for our sightseeing until 9pm. When we went back, we were very surprised how dark and 'human-less' the place was. First night was ok, we enjoyed the quietness. The second night was eerie though. Past midnight we received prank calls on the hotel phone. It kept ringing and ringing. When my partner picked up the phone, the other party wasn't talking the same language/incorherent (!!). I wanted to pluck off the line but decided not too just in case it still rang without the line!

Like the rest of the reviews, I saw the Casino closed down and not in operation, same goes to the Karaoke room. Yes it's was a rip-off but the hotel served decent steak for ard SGD15.00 for breakfast. There's a eatery just beside the hotel manned by an old lady, she served the best bulgogi I ever tasted in Korea.

Recommend? It's depends. Up to individual. I was LOL when I read the other's reviews. :D And I really wonder how come the phone rang! There were no other guest on the 2nd night except us. Don't tell me the staff there invaded our privacy and play pranks on us?

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kisetsu
london
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2009

Yes, there is a reason why this hotel is so bad. The mother company (some auto parts manufacturing company affiliated with Hyosung Corp. is not doing too well therefore they have drastically reduced their staffs and service. Seemed like the staffs were basically on their own to stay afloat.

Our room stank of sewage smell and surprisingly for the duration of our weeks stay they did not hoover anywhere (incl. our room). When I asked why this was the case, they told me it was so that the guests could enjoy their stay noise-free. To me it seemed the hotel is in such a dire financial condition that they can't even afford to hoover.

So, yes, stay far far away!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Seoul
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2008

I went there with my husband for a romantic weekend, but it was really bad. All of the facilities were closed... the casino, both the bars and the room service stopped at 10pm. We weren't told any of this when we booked the room. When I complained the guy at the reception just looked nervous and said nothing until I went away. The room was clean, but in serious need of redecorating. They had tried to cover up the threadbare armchairs with cloths. I really recomend that people think twice before booking this place.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank seoulanimal