Free cancellation until 29/07
  • Breakfast included
Hostel Paakal(Chetumal)
Hotel ABH(Chetumal)
TripAdvisor
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed January 17, 2016

Chetumal is not a place tourists stay, in general. It is somewhere to layover for onward travel to Belize, Guatemala, and beyond. Years ago I spent a day or 2 here to check it out, though there are other places in Mexico that are much more interesting in which to stay.

After a short search online, I found La Posada Chetumal Hostel, close to the ADO bus station, and reasonably-priced. For the sake of staying one night, this was a great fit – I just needed a bed and a bathroom to tide me over.

Cab fare from the shiny new ADO station was 30p. Apparently there is a supermarket very close to this place, but I got in late and got out early, so it was not an option for me on this visit.

Due to travel complications, I arrived after 11pm, much later than I had planned, but the owner was very friendly and accommodating; she called to see about arranging a bus ticket for me to Flores the following day, but was unable to get a response – the cell message said the customer was not available.

After answering my questions about what time I should get to the bus station, where to catch a cab, when the bus to Flores departed, etc, she took me upstairs to the dorm, which had 10 beds. Everyone was already asleep, the big window was open to cool the place down, the fans were cranked. I was exhausted, so I went to bed.

The next morning I awoke before 6am, and made my way to the ADO station as she had advised - by walking 2 blocks from the hostel, I easily found a cab at 6:20am, and paid 19p to get to the station.

The big drawback of this place is the single bathroom for those staying here, just outside the 10-bed dorm. My stay was brief, so it was not an issue for me, though another bathroom would be a great addition.

Again, this is a great place to crash for the night before going further south, as it is about 10 minutes from the Mexico/Belize border, very convenient option.

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed December 26, 2015

The good:
Helpful and friendly staff, she understands English although she has a little difficulty understanding my accent. Very slow printer but at least there is a printer to print your itemized flight ticket receipts which is necessary to avoid double paying the tourist tax if you flew into Mexico and are leaving Mexico.

The bad:
Got downgraded from private 2 bed and 3 bed rooms to a 4 bed room (although the staff said it is a family room for 5). Perhaps this is a silver lining since our friend who stayed in another room had many bites from bed bugs after staying at the hostel. The room and toilet had a perpetually musty smell, maybe because it was rainy for the one day and night we were there. There was no hot water too.

The average:
Breakfast was decent, perhaps a little small in terms of portion size. Free potable water is provided. Super chill and laidback which may not be useful if you are in a rush. There is also a supermarket and several food stalls in the vicinity.

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed November 4, 2015

Was travelling in the off season and arrived late and ended up having the whole place to myself at no extra expense. It's a genuine family run place, no frills but very friendly, helpful and relaxed. well located for the airport too.

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed May 31, 2015

The hostel is far from the ADO-busterminal, as well as from the town-center and buses to Belize (+25min on foot, Taxi M$50.-). Rooms are reasonably clean. Beds too. One bathroom for +10 people is not enough, though. It's clean and only the shower smells a bit. But not as bad as other people experienced. Wifi works and is stable. The Staff (the boy) was helping us, but the information turned out to be wrong. Might have been due to the holiday. Overall acceptable for one night, but not more.

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed May 9, 2015

We stayed here on a whim before continuing to Tulum for a few nights in a private room, and as a whole, our stay was good. The lady (owner i presumed) there helped up on arrival by settling a dispute with a taxi driver (who had lied to us and essentially tried to take us into the country illegally...!!), and she spoke good English. When we arrived back after resolving said kerfuffle, a younger boy, Oscar (son?) was there and we didn't see the lady for the rest of our stay (3 nights). He was very nice and aww bless him working the whole place on his own!! He did a great job. We were cooked breakfast every morning, and hey, burritos aren't my usual choice for breakfast, but they were delicious. The kitchen was clean and well equipped when we cooked other meals (besides, i think, the main oven not working, but usually you'll only use the top anyway). the room was clean and spacious, though ants did get in to our room. there should have been more than one bathroom for the dorms and privates w/out en suites, but the one there is was very nice, hot water and was cleaned by dear little Oscar. We asked a lot of questions about how to get around etc and they were all answered. Oscar only spoke Spanish but I'm sure when the lady is usually there (I'm assuming she was just away for Semana Santa) she's more than capable of dealing with English only speakers. Wifi was a bit touchy for some days, and also the rooms are not the cheapest around but worth the price i believe.
Would definitely stay here again if I visited again :)

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled as a couple