2 people are viewing this hotel
Free cancellation until 21-03-05
Orbitz.comUS$392
TravelocityUS$392
StayForLongUS$545
All reviews infinity pool the river dominican republic luxury hotel group of friends main building small luxury coconut shrimp san rafael out of this world eco lodge los patos spa massage forest las ocean
Selected filters
Reviewed February 17, 2020

The swimming pool and restaurant area of this hotel is stunning. The food and restaurant service is excellent but the rooms and the driveway access really let them down.

The only one of the River Rooms worth using is the Master River 2 - we were originally shown to one of the other River Rooms that was dated and frankly not very clean. We were then shown to one of the regular rooms which were also dated and not terribly clean and definitely NOT worthy of a hotel that belongs to Small Luxury Hotels.

Finally the Manager put us in the newest room which was actually quite lovely - but it is a steep, quite long walk to the restaurant from the river area.

Date of stay: February 2020
1  Thank canbird
Reviewed January 22, 2020

I had an amazing stay at Casa bonita between 9th January to 13th January 2020. I was very excited for my mini holiday on my own.

Reception:
The staff were brilliant upon arrival, he knew my name which was great. Feedback I would give is maybe to not talk about the trips right after the guest has arrived as i was really REALLY tired.

Room:
My room was a double room (105) very spacious and I had a great view of the mountains, and caught a gentle breeze from the sea. In the mornings i could actually hear the ocean which was lovely.

I did encounter a small dilemma with the hot water where the second night of my stay, it wasnt working. The hotel were aware of the situation, but as feedback i think its important that they let us know what happened. On the brightside the manager Gustavo was very proactive in letting me know whats going on.

Restaurant:
The staff were lovely, the prawn pasta dishes were incredible. And the coconut shrimp was the best!

The spa:
I did use the spa facilities, and got a facial and a back massage. It was okaaayyy, it wasnt anything out of this world. I think the therapist can do with a little more training.

The area:
My intention for my holiday was to relax, so i ended up relaxing most of the time. But i got a taxi who drove me to los patos and san rafael and it costed me $60 (2700dop). But that was it for me. I didnt do any excursions. There was one to las agrullas that i booked with viator but it was cancelled.

Overall, i had an amazing stay and hopefully ill be back before the year ends.

Date of stay: January 2020
Antonio S, General Manager at Casa Bonita Tropical Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2020

Dear Mrs. Abi M.

Thank you very much for choosing Casa Bonita for your "Mini Holiday on your own", we love you trusted us for such an important time.

Reception:
As per your recommendation about the trips information during the check-in, we started asking the guest whether they want to listen to it at the moment or any other time later.

Room:
Very happy that you enjoy the room and its natural amenities such as the mountain view, the ocean´s breeze, and sound, and thank you very much again, for your comprehension while we fixed the hot water issue.

Restaurant:
The Food & Beverage´s staff thank you very much for your great comments about they´re service and food.

The Spa:
Following your recommendation, we are training the therapist with new techniques to improve the overall experience, thus we can "wow you" the next time.

It was also an amazing experience to have you as our guest, we look forward to hosting you in the very near future.

Truly yours,

Gustavo Montealegre C.

Reviewed January 13, 2020

This was our second stay. When we saw they had built secluded river suites, we decidedly booked. We liked the place, because of its awesome views, good service, good food, but the first time the ocean front suite that we booked was noisy, with noise and fumes that raised from the main road. Casa Bonita has a forest setting, high on a hillside with awesome views of the ocean. Nice architecture, cool infinity pool, decent size rooms and amenities bordering on luxury. We were disappointed because our master river view suite 1 that we booked this time, had a very strong chemical smell. We were offered another room in the main building, but declined due to the noise. We decided to sleep with open windows, because the smell went away that way. The issue is that the awesome floor to ceiling windows had no screens and so the bugs and critters came in during the night, making my girlfriend freak and not have a good night sleep. The manager acknowledge our complaint, offered another room but at that point we were almost packing and leaving at 3 am that morning. He said they had contacted maintenance and taken the room off the available list to fix the problem. No credit was offered to us. We found out that the smell came from one of the exposed wooden columns by the bed; it had apparently been heavily sprayed with some kind of wood treatment or termite treatment. Who was the genius who did this and how come nobody did anything about it before? The river suites are next to the Spa, and are supposed to provide privacy, relaxation, rest and to benefit from the rain forest environment. With this stink and no bug screens, the experience was one not to repeat.
All in all Casa Bonita has a great potential, but this was a major turnoff. Also, they have increased prices and a meal for two costs upwards of $100 USD. Really? This is Florida or New York pricing, a little high for Dominican Republic for this type of Ecolodge, higher end accomodation.
The Spa is rustic and nice, set in the rain forest. Not cheap.

Room tip: Avoid close to the road, make sure the river suites do not have a chemical smell ! (ha!)
Date of stay: January 2020
1  Thank Manuel V
Reviewed November 22, 2019 via mobile

We have been to Casa Bonita only for some drinks and food. We have been treated very friendly and had an excellent time. The food was nice. The two waiters and barmen gave a great service. The "special sangria" made especcially for me was the best I'd ever drunk.

Date of stay: November 2019
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed October 16, 2019 via mobile

My husband and I stayed one night at the suite with private pool. We wanted to stay longer but opted not to.

Positive:
-The hotel view is Spectacular, and the workers while not 5 start, are very attentive and friendly. It did help very much that we speak Spanish so we chatted and joked with them.
- Dinner and breakfast were really good.

Negative: in general the big issue with the hotel is the lack of attention to cleanliness and maintenance. For the high price they charge, they NEED to invest in maintaining the place pets free, clean, and replace or fix things that are damaged.

For example
1- finding cockroaches in a pricing suite made us feel that we wasted the money. One roach came out from under the wooden shower floor, I ran out half bathed. we found another roach by the pantry area and at the check-out sofa, the third one crawling!!
2- Bathroom ceiling light cover have black dirt inside
3- bed sheets had old blood stains
4-the suite private pool never warmed up
5-the prívate and public outdoor chaises were ALL covered with towels. I tried to removed one towel because it looked used, but the cushion was stained and old. For god’s sake, why not replace them cushions? it gave me the itch!
6-patches or fallen tiles at the Infinity pool outer edge
7-wooden deck needs to be painted/stained as it looks old.

Date of stay: August 2019
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ruthcordero
Antonio S, General Manager at Casa Bonita Tropical Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2019

Dear Ms. Cordero,

Please accept our sincere apologies for your disappointment at your recent stay at our Hotel.

As the new General Manager, I want to thank you for your comments which allow us to work for the continuous improvement of our guest´s experience.

Truly yours,