Open today: 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Review Highlights
Great operation and team

I signed up for the intro package 1 month in advance. Unfortunately no wind. They returned my... read more

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Reviewed March 22, 2024
charleyj767
Excellent

I was extremely impressed with LEK even from the very first e mail correspondence. They were... read more

Reviewed March 14, 2024
Daniel S

See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed April 9, 2012

Very friendly professional staff. Good restaurant and hangout next door.

Date of experience: February 2012
Reviewed March 21, 2012

It's hard to imagine any other place will make you feel more safe, comfortable, well-equipped and cared for than LEK. She and her staff maintain a very clean and reputable shop that will give you confidence that you are doing things right. The instructors are all certified by the IKO; during my stay I had 3 and they all spoke excellent English. (Many other languages are supported as well). Laurel and the others can set you straight about the area restaurants, too.

LEK is closer to the "center" of cabarete hotels and restaurants than several of the other schools (Google Maps gets it right, take a look) and may be more convenient for you if you are staying on the Cabarete end of town. It's about a 30 minute walk on the beach from Cabarete to Kite Beach where Kitexcite and The Kite Club are located, for example. And staying close by your school is handy for being prepared for changing weather conditions.

Here are a couple of tips for the first-timer:
-cover yourself well with strong sun block. You will be out there for a while, and burning, say, the tops of your feet, will make it uncomfortable on subsequent days to put the board on your feet. So go a little overboard with protection.
-if you have half an hour, sit in LEK's shop and watch the instructional video before beginning.
-be aware that weather can change rapidly; even if a storm stops your session in the afternoon, hang around because you may be able to pick up again after it passes.
-i would recommend changing instructors now and then; a fresh perspective help fill in some gaps
-i would recommend buying a sporty but inexpensive pair of sunglasses and a croaky-type strap to keep them on, at home before coming; this stuff is much cheaper at home. You need sunglasses because you will constantly be looking up, often directly at the sun, to control your kite.

1  Thank keithk_nyc
Reviewed March 17, 2012

I am physically unable to kiteboard, but during my stay in Cabarete DR I walked and relaxed daily near the team and office of LEK and along the beach of Cabarete. I observed the LEK team daily with students. They are all very professional, and safety to this team IS a MUST! Watching students being taught and all the beautiful colored kites in the sky..was one of my most favorite experiences of Cabarete, DR. This fast growing sport even to observer is exciting:)

Date of experience: February 2012
Reviewed March 17, 2012

Excellent trainers, wonderful overall experience, awesome time. Laurel and her crew are the most helpful, friendly and nicest people you could ever want to meet. Cabarete is perfect place to learn kiteboarding. You can learn many different techniques and see different styles. It has side-shore wind. The beach is huge and sandy, and it's easy to launch and land from. LEK has storage, rigging, launch and landing assistance, wind info, wifi, drinking water and more. The instructors are top-notch and the team is a blast to hang out with. Thanks again to Ian for all his patience, help and instruction. And the laughs and crazy stories from Merijn. I recommend the LEK crew to anyone wanting to try kiteboarding.
Miss you guys and cannot wait to come back!!!

1  Thank Senior_Barry
Reviewed March 13, 2012

Before opening the best kiteboarding school in the Dominican Republic, Laurel was a rider on the pro-kiteboarding circuit, even being named 2002 Woman of the Year by the Kiteriders Professional World Tour and winning the 2003 North Sea Championship! And on top of being so accomplished, she’s probably the nicest person you’re ever likely to meet. If any school could turn me into a real kiteboarder, it had to be Laurel’s!

One there, practically any direction you looked, kiters were manipulating the slightly side on winds to impressive results. They zoomed, turned, spun, looped, boosted and stomped tricks left and right. I desperately wanted to join their ranks. Sure, I’d seen kiteboarders before on my many travels throughout the Caribbean, but never so many in one place. The sky was literally alive with colorful, little arcs while the sea became a crosshatch of their many paths. Cabarete is THE place for kiteboarding in the Caribbean and it shows by the talent it attracts.

My instructor at LEK Miguel, had a lyrical Dominican accent I absolutely loved listening to while he took me through the steps of kite mastery on dry land. In my case, I’d flown a practice kite on a trip to Tulum, Mexico several years ago, so none of the basics were new to me… Add with Miguel’s expert tutelage, I was holding my kite at 11 o’clock, 12, and 2:30 like a pro in no time. From there, it was barely a moment before I was demonstrating figure eight movements through the “power zone” that nearly yanked me down the beach.

Getting up on the board for the first time was probably the single most awesome sporting experience I’ve ever had. It may have only lasted a second, but it did the trick. I was hooked. I’ve already begun planning my next kiteboarding experience!

This is an excerpt of a review I wrote for www.uncommoncaribbean.com. You can read the rest and see the photos I took there: http://bit.ly/yEAqX7

1  Thank UC_Patrick