Open today: 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Review Highlights
Great operation and team

I signed up for the intro package 1 month in advance. Unfortunately no wind. They returned my... read more

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Reviewed March 22, 2024
charleyj767
Excellent

I was extremely impressed with LEK even from the very first e mail correspondence. They were... read more

Reviewed March 14, 2024
Daniel S

See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed August 10, 2012

For my second season kiteboarding I went back to basics, got great instructions, finally up and riding in challenging conditions as well. Instructors were very good, patient and really able to spot the mistakes and explain corrections. Wish I had had this kind of instructions last year!

1  Thank NikkiOOL
Reviewed August 8, 2012

I had a week on my own to scratch an item off my bucket list, so off I went to Caberete and the LEK school to learn kitesurfing. I chose LEK over the others because of their great web presence, including facebook and tripadvisor, as you can't fake that many good reviews.

Staff were open and welcoming from the start. Very patient and confidence-inspiring instructors were able to get me up on the board and surfing within 5 days, despite some big winter swells and uncooperative (for beginners, anyway) wind.

A good crew to learn with, chat with while waiting for the wind to pick up, and laugh with over a beer about the day's challenges.

Not an easy sport to learn, but harder still to instruct. Thanks again Laurel, Jonathan, Daniel and everyone at LEK!

Date of experience: July 2012
1  Thank riverrock_BnB
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I recently spent 2 weeks in Cabarete and my friend and I shopped around a little before deciding to go with LEK for kite lessons. Although lessons at LEK are a bit more expensive then some of the other schools along the beach the price difference was well worth it for the following reasons:
1. Unless you specifically want a group lesson the hourly rate at LEK is for 1:1 instruction.
2. The staff at LEK speak a variety of languages and they speak the languages very fluently.
3. All staff members are professional, helpful, and well trained instructors. It is easy to kind a good kiteboarder on the beaches of Cabarete but being able to kite and being able to instruct are two different things.
4. The admin side of the business is flawless. The system used to schedule, track lessons completed, and update your account is great.
5. This is one of the only schools that accepts credit/debit cards for payment. I expected to pay for the majority of vacation expenses using cash but having to yank a few hundred dollars out to pay for kite lessons was not expected. Honestly, the fact that LEK accepts cards for payment was a huge reason we picked this school.

LEK stresses safety during all their lessons and they make sure you have mastered each step before advancing you to the next. Jonathan was my teach the entire time I was there and with the exception of a few windless days (obviously out of anyones control) everything was great. I plan to return and do more lessons with LEK.

Date of experience: June 2012
1  Thank Rachel P
Reviewed May 30, 2012

Took three lessons during my recent trip. I was a bit short of time and did not make it up on the board, but the swells made it difficult for me. Francis was a patient instructor who imparted the knowledge and skill I needed to fly the kite reasonably well - I'll be back to try it again.

Date of experience: May 2012
1  Thank MarkB1951
Reviewed April 30, 2012

Laurel is a nice and skilled woman with a good staff to surround her.
Here you can get advice, lessons, gear, all you need at reasonable priices. Maybe just a bit high in comparison to Dominican Standards but it is worth it.

Right in front of Lek, teh swell is a bit more aggresive but still easy enough to start kitesurfing if you know what you are doing.

Overall the 5* is well deserved.

Laurel, keep up the good work there

Roger