“Came as Customers, Left as Friends”

Laurel Eastman Kiteboarding (LEK)
Ranked #4 of 48 Tours in Cabarete
More attraction details
Owner description: Laurel Eastman Kiteboarding (LEK) has been providing high quality kiteboarding lessons in gorgeous Cabarete Bay since 2003. Founded by American professional kiteboarder Laurel Eastman, the LEK flagship school in Cabarete teaches kiteboarding in a safe manner with a big emphasis on fun! A fully accredited IKO (International Kiteboarding Organization) center, all of LEK's qualified and multi-lingual instructors are highly trained experts and ready to share their passion for kiteboarding with the guests visiting Cabarete. Visit LEK inside the gorgeous Millennium Resort and Spa, located on Cabarete Beach, and experience for yourself the LEK style of service.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Baby buggy parking, Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage
Reviewed August 19, 2012

We spent 7 days in Cabarete with the intent of taking kiteboarding lessons and getting some much needed R&R. From the first contact we made with Laurel Eastman Kiteboarding (LEK) we were instantly treated to a high level of service not only for our kiteboarding needs, but also for general travel information for Cabarete.

Upon arrival in Cabarete, Amanda went out of her way to help us out with directions for ATMs, groceries and all sorts of other recommendations. This was just the first glimpse of the awesome, friendly service we'd receive throughout the week from the entire staff at LEK.

I took 4 days of lessons and must say I love their teaching style! I've taken kite lessons in the US and the way that LEK teaches on short lines, having your instructor right next to you so they can coach you through flying the kite, body dragging, getting the board on your feet - it makes a WORLD of difference! In a sport with such a steep learning curve, they've managed to get you confident in your kite skills and out in the water in pretty quick order.

After a long day of kiting, it's also fun to hang out with the LEK crew for a few beers. They have a really diverse staff with interesting backgrounds and you quickly make friends with them as well as other kiting students.

I also had a special request of LEK the week we were there - it was my boyfriend's birthday and I wanted to have a surprise party for him after kiting that day. The LEK crew conspired with our hotel's concierge and my kite instructor to keep my boyfriend out on the beach long enough to get his cake and rum punch ready for his surprise as he came in off the beach. They were great to help pull this off and my boyfriend was thrilled with his birthday surprise.

Summing it up, LEK is a well-run business that manages to keep things fun and laid back. We made great friends (including Laurel herself) that will bring us back to Cabarete and LEK!

1  Thank Hammy_the_squirrel
in 21 reviews
"maxine"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed August 11, 2012

I spent 2 weeks in Cabarete. I am an independent kiter but I want to mention that the people at LEK were awesome. Very kind and helpful. All in all, I consider this school being one of the best I've ever seen. Keep up the good work guys.

Vlad

1  Thank Vladonelu
Reviewed August 10, 2012

For my second season kiteboarding I went back to basics, got great instructions, finally up and riding in challenging conditions as well. Instructors were very good, patient and really able to spot the mistakes and explain corrections. Wish I had had this kind of instructions last year!

1  Thank NikkiOOL
Reviewed August 8, 2012

I had a week on my own to scratch an item off my bucket list, so off I went to Caberete and the LEK school to learn kitesurfing. I chose LEK over the others because of their great web presence, including facebook and tripadvisor, as you can't fake that many good reviews.

Staff were open and welcoming from the start. Very patient and confidence-inspiring instructors were able to get me up on the board and surfing within 5 days, despite some big winter swells and uncooperative (for beginners, anyway) wind.

A good crew to learn with, chat with while waiting for the wind to pick up, and laugh with over a beer about the day's challenges.

Not an easy sport to learn, but harder still to instruct. Thanks again Laurel, Jonathan, Daniel and everyone at LEK!

1  Thank ParksidePlace
See more reviews
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I recently spent 2 weeks in Cabarete and my friend and I shopped around a little before deciding to go with LEK for kite lessons. Although lessons at LEK are a bit more expensive then some of the other schools along the beach the price difference was well worth it for the following reasons:
1. Unless you specifically want a group lesson the hourly rate at LEK is for 1:1 instruction.
2. The staff at LEK speak a variety of languages and they speak the languages very fluently.
3. All staff members are professional, helpful, and well trained instructors. It is easy to kind a good kiteboarder on the beaches of Cabarete but being able to kite and being able to instruct are two different things.
4. The admin side of the business is flawless. The system used to schedule, track lessons completed, and update your account is great.
5. This is one of the only schools that accepts credit/debit cards for payment. I expected to pay for the majority of vacation expenses using cash but having to yank a few hundred dollars out to pay for kite lessons was not expected. Honestly, the fact that LEK accepts cards for payment was a huge reason we picked this school.

LEK stresses safety during all their lessons and they make sure you have mastered each step before advancing you to the next. Jonathan was my teach the entire time I was there and with the exception of a few windless days (obviously out of anyones control) everything was great. I plan to return and do more lessons with LEK.

1  Thank Rachel P