Open today: 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Review Highlights
Great operation and team

I signed up for the intro package 1 month in advance. Unfortunately no wind. They returned my... read more

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Reviewed March 22, 2024
charleyj767
Excellent

I was extremely impressed with LEK even from the very first e mail correspondence. They were... read more

Reviewed March 14, 2024
Daniel S

See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Cant say enough great things about my friends at LEK. As was off season the wind was a bit patchy but had a great time playhing volleyball and drinking beers with the crew when the wind wouldnt cooperate. Santos-my instructor was super positive and knowledgealbe.

They are the best!

Date of experience: November 2012
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Team is Profesional and Kind. They care about their customers. Location is also very good.
Cabarete + those guys is a sure bet.
Don't hesitate.
Raphael

Date of experience: July 2012
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Having had quite a number of bad experiences of kitesurfing lessons, I consider myself well qualified to appraise them. I could not praise L.E.K. more highly.

Initially, I was nervous when it came to kitesurfing (with good reason!), but L.E.K. oozes responsibility, safety and security, whilst also exuding a sense of fun. That's no mean feat. I enjoyed the time I spent at the school, and (almost - it's a frustrating sport!) every minute of my 11 hours of lessons.

The lessons themselves were well structured and very well taught; although not the cheapest school on the beach (DO NOT go to the cheapest school on the beach!), there is no doubt L.E.K. offers the best value for money in terms of quality of teaching and standard of equipment. They even have a cannister to pump your kite - that's water time saved, already.

My instructor, Merijn, was hugely patient, and developed me from a terrified imbicile to a vaguely competant kiter, over the course of 8 or so hours. My friend commented that he jumped up and down with delight, when I finally went racing across the bay, on the board. (Apparently he also howled with laughter when I wiped out at the other end, but I'd never deny a man that kind of job satisfaction!).

You get the vibe that L.E.K. really want to be the best kite school, and in doing that they really care about their kiters. It is clear that they want to grow based on a reputation for quality and consequently have thought of everything: you can buy food, drinks, leave your bag in a secure locker, use their tab system, etc. etc. Their instructors are the only ones to wear a uniform, which is more helpful than you might think, when you get washed up on the beach, with a mouth full of sand and seaweed in your eyes, and need to find a helping hand...

A month later, in Morocco, I still heard Merijn's voice in my head "keep your arms straight!; stop pulling like a windsurfer!" and I carried on improving, as all the tips he imparted were hammered home. That's good teaching for you. I'm now pretty decent, for a girl!

What more can I say? Go to L.E.K.! I'll be going back, A.S.A.P. :-)

Date of experience: May 2012
1  Thank CarolineMHG
Reviewed September 15, 2012

I spent over a month in cabarete at the Millennium hotel and LEK was right on the property so I got to know them very well. Laurel and her staff are super friendly and easy to work with. My GF who is just a beginner progressed very quickly under their tutelage. Laurel was also great in setting me up with a local pro who provided me some great lessons on ridiing strapless. Additional benefit was that she was a great resource in terms of recommending other local businesses. When I needed spanish lessons she was able to direct me to Jessica and her Cabarete Language Institute (CLI) which turned out to be another amazing school.

Date of experience: July 2012
1  Thank Rogueraptor
Reviewed August 19, 2012

We spent 7 days in Cabarete with the intent of taking kiteboarding lessons and getting some much needed R&R. From the first contact we made with Laurel Eastman Kiteboarding (LEK) we were instantly treated to a high level of service not only for our kiteboarding needs, but also for general travel information for Cabarete.

Upon arrival in Cabarete, Amanda went out of her way to help us out with directions for ATMs, groceries and all sorts of other recommendations. This was just the first glimpse of the awesome, friendly service we'd receive throughout the week from the entire staff at LEK.

I took 4 days of lessons and must say I love their teaching style! I've taken kite lessons in the US and the way that LEK teaches on short lines, having your instructor right next to you so they can coach you through flying the kite, body dragging, getting the board on your feet - it makes a WORLD of difference! In a sport with such a steep learning curve, they've managed to get you confident in your kite skills and out in the water in pretty quick order.

After a long day of kiting, it's also fun to hang out with the LEK crew for a few beers. They have a really diverse staff with interesting backgrounds and you quickly make friends with them as well as other kiting students.

I also had a special request of LEK the week we were there - it was my boyfriend's birthday and I wanted to have a surprise party for him after kiting that day. The LEK crew conspired with our hotel's concierge and my kite instructor to keep my boyfriend out on the beach long enough to get his cake and rum punch ready for his surprise as he came in off the beach. They were great to help pull this off and my boyfriend was thrilled with his birthday surprise.

Summing it up, LEK is a well-run business that manages to keep things fun and laid back. We made great friends (including Laurel herself) that will bring us back to Cabarete and LEK!

Date of experience: August 2012