“"a little gem"”

Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Cabarete
neepawa
“"a little gem"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2011

This coming February will be our third stay at this little gem of a hotel. The owners and staff are very friendly and make you feel right at home. Its location near Janet's grocery and beach can't get any better. Nice, clean, affordable rooms make this hotel very desireable for travellers who want a fun holiday while on a limited budget. Totally within walking distance to a wide array of restaraunts. I definitely would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: The two bedroom apartment is on the backside of the hotel with lots of quiet.
  • Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank wilbe b

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Isle of Man
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2011

I own property in Cabarete. On two occasions my property has been rented out at the time of the home owner's meeting, so I've had to find alternative accommodation. On both occasions I chose the Hotel Alegria.

This hotel has two key strengths, the location and first & foremost, the warmth of the owners & staff. The owners live on-site, perhaps that helps with the 'part of the family' feel? If you have a problem they will try to sort it. For example, my power supply for my Macbook died while I was there, Silvia helped me to borrow one for my duration. Both Silvia & Peter genuinely want their guests to enjoy their stay and to leave with a good impression of Cabarete. I would guess they have a lot of repeat guests at The Hotel Alegria.

The hotel itself if situated at the east of Cabarete bay. It has beach access. This is the end of the bay which has calm, shallow water, ideal for children, weak swimmers or those who just want to relax in the sea. It is about 200 to 300 meters walk along the beach to the start of the strip of bars & restaurants. You pass a couple of other hotels/apartments that have security, so it is a safe walk back from town even in the early hours (although as anywhere, sensible precautions are required, don't spend the evening flashing huge amounts of cash or go out dripping in jewelry).

The hotel is getting on a bit, so the rooms are clean and functional rather than 'smart'. So, for example, if you are going to get stressed by sometimes waiting for the hot water to come through, you may want to consider something more 'up-market'. The room I was in last January was presumably at the end of the line, so at times when everyone was using hot water (early evening), it took ages to come through but mid to late-morning it was fine. If you take the attitude "I'm in the Dominican Republic, there's no rush", then you'll be fine here.

The first time I visited, I was in a standard room. On arrival I found a problem with the toilet. I went down to reception to report it, then went to the local supermarket (incidentally, the biggest supermarket in Cabarete is about 50 meters away). By the time I returned from the supermarket, the toilet was fixed. If you have a problem, report it and it will be dealt with swiftly. The room was small, functional and cheap. Fridge, bed & toilet tend to be all I need. I can't remember if it has air-conditioning, because I never use it. There's a TV. Never switched it on!

The second visit, January 2011, I had a studio room. This was brighter and 'airy'. A small kitchenette was enough for me to cook eggs for breakfast and have coffee on the go. Load the fridge up with water, beer, milk and juice and it's good to go! If you don't want to self cater, or you are in a standard room, there is a pleasant bistro on site for breakfast and evening meals.

I've marked the sleep quality down simply because the location of the room meant lots of people walked right past the door, so I was awoken every morning by people talking loudly right outside. I tend to go to sleep late and wake up late, so I often woke earlier than I'd choose. These were usually other guests. It wasn't a major problem (between 8am & 9am so not excessively early) and I'd be more than happy to stay in this room again next time, but if you are a very light sleeper, it may be worth e-mailing Peter before you arrive and booking a more secluded room (which may be a bit more expensive, I don't know).

WiFi is available through-out. If I recall correctly, there are two wi-fi's to log in to, ensuring strong coverage through-out the complex.

No swimming pool but there is a roof top hot-tub, which I never used. There was some gym equipment which I didn't use either!

In short, if you are looking for an excellent value, extremely friendly place to stay in Cabarete, then you won't beat the Hotel Alegria. I have a long term let in my apartment when the next home owner's meeting is on, so I'll be returning to the Alegria in January 2012!

Room Tip: The studio rooms are worth the extra compared to standard rooms. The roof fans mean you don't ne...
  • Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank iom_keith
New Haven, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2011

Hotel Alegria was a wonderful choice. Its located directly on the beach, and its in the heart of everything fun in Cabarete.

The Hotel offers a wide array of excursions has extremely kind and helpful staff, nice rooms and good prices. It was good enough that it made me go out of my way to recommend it to anyone who might care -- the rest of the guests staying there certainly seemed to agree.

Room Tip: Talk with the owner -- wonderfully kind.
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank coastsonabudget
New Haven, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2011

I stayed in Hotel Alegria with ten friends for two nights over the course of a spring break trip in the DR. We were charmed by Hotel Alegria, where we stayed in a few studios which are the most economical option (we are all students).
The hotel staff was welcoming and helpful, and the hotel is cozy, quiet and right by Cabarete beach, which is gorgeous. We all really enjoyed our stay - the studios were clean, bright and spacious, and we were able to cook for ourselves in the fully-equipped kitchenettes.
The hotel owner was extremely helpful when my friend dislocated his knee and needed a ride to the emergency room - he took us there in his car and stayed with us until my friend was treated. I would definitely go again, with friends or family.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank frenchy089
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2011

Would you like to stay in a hotel at a couple seconds from the beach, a couple minutes from the center, with a nice tropical garden in the back, super nice people: Joseph, Eveline, Wilson and the owner....not to forget Kia the gard! Well Alegria Hotel is for you. I have stayded 1 month in the studio with the kitchen simply a great time calme relax in the best place you can find CABARETE. If you want to live Cabarete go to ALEGRIA HOTEL if not well....just have a vacation :) Thank you to everybody. for a great time .

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Rmonaco
Kyjov, Czech Republic
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2010

I stayed in the hotel only for two nights. Room and bathroom was clean, but very small and all equipment was obsolete. Fitness area on the top was rusted. Hotel has good location, but if you are not kite/suft boarding fun, look for different place.
Access to the beach is little unwelcome and depresive.
Breakfast was good. Too much light into the room from the glass wall during night.
The owner was friendly and helped me with information about near by attractions.
We got what we paid for :)

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank zale76
AlegriaOwner, Owner at Hotel Alegria, responded to this review, 15 December 2010
Hotel Alegria has a range of room types from $30 to $90 low season. The 4 standard rooms are the smallest and cheapest, but are fully equiped with cable TV, safe, private bath, wifi access and refrigerator. For the active guests who spend most of their time out on the waves, the beach or the town, and are looking to economize on the room, most agree that our standard rooms are a great value. For those looking for more spacious quarters, a balcony and view of the ocean we also offer a good value, but it costs a bit more, as does a studio with kitchenette or the two bedroom apartment. We do our best to understand what a prospective guest is looking for and recommend the room that will best fit their expectations.
nowhere
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2010

My boyfriend and his family enjoyed our stay at this hotel over the Cabarete jazz festival weekend. Thank you to Michael, Rafael and Ramon and all the staff who made us feel welcome and made sure we had everything we needed. The rooms are of an older style, but the gardens are beautiful and the beachside access straight to Cabarete beach is awesome.
Our rooms each had a television, mini fridge and private bathroom with one having air conditioning. The rooftop jacuzzi and seating area was a favourite spot as well.
We would definitely consider staying here again.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family