Hotel Alegria
US$167
Ocean Manor Beach Resort- All Inclusive(Cabarete)(Great Value!)
US$125
US$113
US$193
  • Breakfast included
Kite Beach Hotel(Cabarete)(Great Value!)
US$59
Velero Beach Resort(Cabarete)(Great Value!)
US$80
No availability for your dates from our partners
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
All reviewsbeautiful long beachhome away from homesmall hotelpetersupermarketnightlifekitchenette
Reviewed January 5, 2012

We stayed for 2 nights only.
The Good: Location is within walking to all amenities you can need in Cabarete like supermarkets and restaurants. You can access all restaurants from the beach thru a small corridor on the back of hotel. Yes it can be dark at night but we (couple in late 40's) never felt in danger.
Staff if very friendly and helpful. Breakfast ($150-300 depending on dish) at the restaurant was very good. We had the Americano - eggs, bacon, potatoes, toast, coffee, juice, jam and we also had the pancakes -all made from scratch - and they all was excellent by any standard. We didn't have time to try it for dinner.

The Bad: premises and rooms are worn out. furniture in room was really old and dilapidated and tiles in bath were broken or just badly patched up (I know this is common in DR). The bed was very basic (hard and linens ugly). Nothing plushy here and for $70 per night I didn't expect much but I was hoping for something close to a Microtel in US but no such luck.

Having said this, the ac worked, we had hot water always, the tv and small fridge worked. Nevertheless I'm grateful that I got a room there as every other place I tried was booked.

Would I stay at Hotel Alegria again? It may not be my first choice again but at least now I know what to expect, so yes. I went to Cabarete knowing that part of the fun is meeting all the interesting people that venture there and to experience the laid back vibe of the area, that I got.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank serie23
Reviewed November 12, 2011

I had a nice standard room with AC that was perfect for my needs, which were few. The location was great -- it's in a quiet, laid-back neighborhood, right off the main road, but far from all the noise. Plus, the beach is just a few steps away.

The owner and staff were very friendly and helpful. They answered any questions I had, and offered me tips on making my stay more enjoyable. I definitely recommend staying there.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank David W
Reviewed October 28, 2011

This coming February will be our third stay at this little gem of a hotel. The owners and staff are very friendly and make you feel right at home. Its location near Janet's grocery and beach can't get any better. Nice, clean, affordable rooms make this hotel very desireable for travellers who want a fun holiday while on a limited budget. Totally within walking distance to a wide array of restaraunts. I definitely would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: The two bedroom apartment is on the backside of the hotel with lots of quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank wilbe b
Reviewed August 21, 2011

I own property in Cabarete. On two occasions my property has been rented out at the time of the home owner's meeting, so I've had to find alternative accommodation. On both occasions I chose the Hotel Alegria.

This hotel has two key strengths, the location and first & foremost, the warmth of the owners & staff. The owners live on-site, perhaps that helps with the 'part of the family' feel? If you have a problem they will try to sort it. For example, my power supply for my Macbook died while I was there, Silvia helped me to borrow one for my duration. Both Silvia & Peter genuinely want their guests to enjoy their stay and to leave with a good impression of Cabarete. I would guess they have a lot of repeat guests at The Hotel Alegria.

The hotel itself if situated at the east of Cabarete bay. It has beach access. This is the end of the bay which has calm, shallow water, ideal for children, weak swimmers or those who just want to relax in the sea. It is about 200 to 300 meters walk along the beach to the start of the strip of bars & restaurants. You pass a couple of other hotels/apartments that have security, so it is a safe walk back from town even in the early hours (although as anywhere, sensible precautions are required, don't spend the evening flashing huge amounts of cash or go out dripping in jewelry).

The hotel is getting on a bit, so the rooms are clean and functional rather than 'smart'. So, for example, if you are going to get stressed by sometimes waiting for the hot water to come through, you may want to consider something more 'up-market'. The room I was in last January was presumably at the end of the line, so at times when everyone was using hot water (early evening), it took ages to come through but mid to late-morning it was fine. If you take the attitude "I'm in the Dominican Republic, there's no rush", then you'll be fine here.

The first time I visited, I was in a standard room. On arrival I found a problem with the toilet. I went down to reception to report it, then went to the local supermarket (incidentally, the biggest supermarket in Cabarete is about 50 meters away). By the time I returned from the supermarket, the toilet was fixed. If you have a problem, report it and it will be dealt with swiftly. The room was small, functional and cheap. Fridge, bed & toilet tend to be all I need. I can't remember if it has air-conditioning, because I never use it. There's a TV. Never switched it on!

The second visit, January 2011, I had a studio room. This was brighter and 'airy'. A small kitchenette was enough for me to cook eggs for breakfast and have coffee on the go. Load the fridge up with water, beer, milk and juice and it's good to go! If you don't want to self cater, or you are in a standard room, there is a pleasant bistro on site for breakfast and evening meals.

I've marked the sleep quality down simply because the location of the room meant lots of people walked right past the door, so I was awoken every morning by people talking loudly right outside. I tend to go to sleep late and wake up late, so I often woke earlier than I'd choose. These were usually other guests. It wasn't a major problem (between 8am & 9am so not excessively early) and I'd be more than happy to stay in this room again next time, but if you are a very light sleeper, it may be worth e-mailing Peter before you arrive and booking a more secluded room (which may be a bit more expensive, I don't know).

WiFi is available through-out. If I recall correctly, there are two wi-fi's to log in to, ensuring strong coverage through-out the complex.

No swimming pool but there is a roof top hot-tub, which I never used. There was some gym equipment which I didn't use either!

In short, if you are looking for an excellent value, extremely friendly place to stay in Cabarete, then you won't beat the Hotel Alegria. I have a long term let in my apartment when the next home owner's meeting is on, so I'll be returning to the Alegria in January 2012!

Room Tip: The studio rooms are worth the extra compared to standard rooms. The roof fans mean you don't need air-con unless it is summer
  • Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank iom_keith
Reviewed May 4, 2011

Hotel Alegria was a wonderful choice. Its located directly on the beach, and its in the heart of everything fun in Cabarete.

The Hotel offers a wide array of excursions has extremely kind and helpful staff, nice rooms and good prices. It was good enough that it made me go out of my way to recommend it to anyone who might care -- the rest of the guests staying there certainly seemed to agree.

Room Tip: Talk with the owner -- wonderfully kind.
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends